Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 15, 2011, 02:34 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Even pubescent, sexually frustrated teenagers would find the debauchery quite abhorrent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by On2wheels View Post
hahaha I Love the bashing this game is getting. Wouldn't that music make your ears bleed while your eyes burned from playing DNF?
Well, Chinese Democracy took over a dozen years to make, as did DNF. GnR had a revolving door of musicians, DNF had a revolving door of developers/staff. And both GnR and DNF revolve around an egotistical half-wit! So I'd assume that the combined amount of lousiness would numb your brain enough to find the game enjoyable!
Old June 15, 2011, 03:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The demo was pretty meh. I doubt I'd ever buy this.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old June 15, 2011, 03:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

Hey now the Chinese Democracy had a few good songs :P
Old June 15, 2011, 05:23 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Hey now the Chinese Democracy had a few good songs :P

Yup...I especially liked the last one. You know why? Because it was THE LAST EFFING SONG on a crap album which took a dump on the ghost of GnR of yore. AND I knew once it was over I never had to be assaulted by it again.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 15, 2011, 05:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Sounds possible they were targeting the game for the age group of how long the game was in development. Maybe they just wanted to get the game off their plate and stop everyone criticizing how long the game took to come out.

It took 15 years to come out, you would think they would still have geared the game toward those whom grew up playing it, guess not.

I'd question the validity of that review site, as it gave LA Noire a lower rating
L.A. Noire Review | Middle East Gamers
and look at what they gave Homefront
Homefront Review | Middle East Gamers
Something wrong with Homefront? I read a couple reviews on it and they look pretty promising.

Duke on the other hand... PC Gamer did a pretty good preview on it so I got interested. But the recent news and low pricing of it screams "RUN AWAY"
Old June 15, 2011, 09:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Alright so I finished the game, and yeah, it was pretty bad. Take a look what happened to me during one part of the game. I placed a Fing Heavy barrel on the Skyjack to move it to the crane, then I moved the Skyjack closer to the crane. When I turned around to pick up the barrel it wasn't there! WTF! I couldn't see it until I looked up in the air and there it was, floating in the air! haha

The ending did sum up how the game was finished though. I think Gearbox really just wanted to let the people know that they want to reboot the product and start from scratch. When you beat the game, it shows of screen of Duke Nukem: KIA, goes black and Duke says, "What the hell kind of ending is that? I'm not dead!" At the end of the game, there are a bunch of extras that are unlocked, showing screenshots and videos of it's years in production. You can see that it was sitting stagnant for a while. The graphics/details in this game were present from 2007, when a bunch of 3d Realms people left for Gearbox.

Single Player was done well before Gearbox even got to polishing the product. Let's hope that the next release is made by people who can get the gameplay down right.

Overall though, aside from A LOT of frustration with the graphics and mechanics, I thought most of the fights were respectable.
Attached Images

Old June 16, 2011, 05:42 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

The major problem is that Gearbox are dragging their own name through the dirt now. Even if they just scooped up what 3D Realms did and jumbled it together in a releasable format, their name is on the cover of that box. I can't really think of any better situation though. If they threw everything out and started from scratch it would just add more years to the development time, making expectations even higher. Fans of the original game would cry about the game not really being "Duke Nukem Forever", and just some game by a different studio. And after a critical blunder like this, I don't know how well a sequel would sell even if it's a good game.
Old June 16, 2011, 05:45 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Actually, after this I think it is effectively time to let the Duke Nukem franchise die quietly. Or hell, bring it out back and put a bullet in the back of its skull.
Old June 16, 2011, 09:34 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSound View Post
I did cancel my pre-order when I heard the reviews and saw the price dropping precipitously even before the game came out. But at $28.49 I'll give it a try anyway (Jebusman's 3 x sweeriously review not withstanding).
is that site legit? they have a lot of games for cheap.
Old June 16, 2011, 09:48 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekaw View Post
is that site legit? they have a lot of games for cheap.
The keys they give out are legit, but the methods they use to obtain them may not be. I've seen companies routinely ban keys that come from these locations, but not always. You take a risk with it.