Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 2, 2011, 09:48 PM
MVP

My System Specs

lol...Sony should put out a $10 million bounty for his capture and offer anonymity to the person(s). Would be interesting to see how it would unfold then.
Old June 3, 2011, 06:40 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Wow, this is pretty embarrassing, Sony looks pretty darn stupid right now.
Old June 3, 2011, 06:58 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Can any one ever completely protect their sit against a determined hacker?
Old June 3, 2011, 07:36 AM
Allstar

1. Has anyone here seen or used a ps3 running Linux back when they allowed it?

2. Hackers should realize they are ruining things for far more people than just those at Sony: if I were a ps3 online gamer, I'd be pissed at lulz...what's-its-name too, very pissed. It's a service, even a paid service to many people, when does the law step in and say to these hackers, enough is enough.

Seems like losing the "Other OS" feature is like baby losing his favourite soother, give it up already, grow some balls and move on.
Old June 3, 2011, 07:39 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by On2wheels View Post

2. Hackers should realize they are ruining things for far more people than just those at Sony: if I were a ps3 online gamer, I'd be pissed at lulz...what's-its-name too, very pissed. It's a service, even a paid service to many people, when does the law step in and say to these hackers, enough is enough.

Seems like losing the "Other OS" feature is like baby losing his favourite soother, give it up already, grow some balls and move on.
I would also guess that every lobbyist that is fighting to end Net Neutrality has a fair amount of slides devoted to Anonymous and 4chan. We could look back 10 years from now with a wholly identified and corporate internet and see that this group was a turning point against being anonymous on the internet.
Old June 3, 2011, 07:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:

While I think this has gone on long ago personally.. Sony did bring this upon themselves. I mean George didn't really say anything or do anything wrong.. he didn't tell or show anyone (as far as we know) how he did it or anything. He just gave people a way to do it and Sony got bent out of shape and went all retarded.

Microsoft showed a good example of what to do and they hired people who did crap like this.
Old June 3, 2011, 08:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
Chance of me buying any Sony web enabled device in the future...0%

Is there any good reason to buy sony product out of the PS3 for the nice blu-ray/ streaming / some game purpose?

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old June 3, 2011, 08:52 AM
Allstar

I guess I'd have to be a hacker to understand Geohotz's reasons for releasing the hack. It's a shame, I did want to eventually get a ps3.
Old June 3, 2011, 09:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
I guess I'd have to be a hacker to understand Geohotz's reasons for releasing the hack. It's a shame, I did want to eventually get a ps3.
Because Sony was a bunch of douche bags and took away the ability to run a "Other" OS on the system which Sony thought would be a way for people to play backup games and such so they nuked it.

So as most people feel when you buy a piece of hardware like a ps3 or tv its yours to do as you please and George basically wanted to give this back and prove to Sony that by taking away this "Other" OS option it wasn't going to do anything.
Old June 3, 2011, 10:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

1. There are plenty of reasons to mess with Linux on your PlayStation, it's why Sony marketed that feature so heavily way back around the time they released the PS2. Heck, they even sold Linux kits that were nothing more than standard computer peripherals.

2. Yes hackers are "ruining" things for people other than Sony, but try thinking about it from a "hacker mentality" perspective. Hackers typically "break" things in an attempt to "fix" them. In this case it's exploiting a pathetic security issue and ridiculing Sony before someone else with more criminal intentions does some real damage.

3. Funny thing is the biggest baby in this case would probably be the US Air Force. There were rumors a few years back about Saddam Hussein hoarding PlayStation consoles in an attempt to create a giant supercomputer cluster for nuclear research right under America's nose. But the real culprit behind the sudden spike in PlayStation sales was in fact the US Air Force. Kind of hard to create a reliable supercomputer cluster without Linux.