Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 19, 2011, 08:33 AM
Rookie

Default all gemes either crash or wont respond?

hey guys i been gaming on my computer for a while id say a couple of months and now i am noticing that after a while sometimes my games just freeze or it will say
"crysis has stoped working"...or any other game

im not too sure what the issue is but all my drivers and everything is up to date, whats the best way to start to diagnos this and what should i do ??

note i am playing diffeant games but i still get the same message

Any help?
Old May 19, 2011, 08:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

What are your system specs, is anything overclocked, what is your operating system?
Old May 19, 2011, 08:58 AM
Top Prospect

If you are indeed overclocked, make absolutely sure you are stable. Also, make note of any background programs/processes running...I've had a few in the past cause issues. Sometimes things like Antivirus/Firewall/HIPS or hardware monitoring can cause things like this.

Last edited by francisw19; May 19, 2011 at 09:01 AM. Reason: ETA
Old May 19, 2011, 09:07 AM
Rookie

here are my specs

AMD Phenom II 1055T Six Core Processor 2.80ghz (oc to 3.7ghz)
-ASUS crosshair IV mobo
-evga gtx 580 oc edition video card
-12gb ddr3 corsair 1333mhz
-windows 7 64 bit home premium
-cool master 922 case
-corsair 750w power supply with 80 plus
-22 inch benq led monitor
-coolmaster v6 cpu cooler

note when i overclocked my rig i ran prime and everything for 14hrs and everything was fine...actually ive had it overclocked for quite a while and no blue screen or nothing , only when i am gaming thats when it stops responding
Old May 19, 2011, 09:11 AM
Top Prospect

Just another thing I thought of...if you happen to use Steam for your games, validate the local game cache.
Old May 19, 2011, 09:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Have you monitored your graphics card temperatures with programs such as MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision, you could for some reason be overheating the card, which causes a driver fail, crashes the game and brings you back to windows (i've had it happen when running sli 465 GEs close to each other).
Old May 19, 2011, 10:58 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Have you monitored your graphics card temperatures with programs such as MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision, you could for some reason be overheating the card, which causes a driver fail, crashes the game and brings you back to windows (i've had it happen when running sli 465 GEs close to each other).
Which would make sense according to the OP's story so far.
Machine is overclocked, but always worked correctly until recently... Dust build-up leading to an overheat?
Old May 19, 2011, 11:27 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze_125 View Post
Which would make sense according to the OP's story so far.
Machine is overclocked, but always worked correctly until recently... Dust build-up leading to an overheat?
My thoughts exactly...sounds like a heat problem...or the PSU is not up to snuff and not outputting the propper power required. Blow out the computer....remove the GPU and blow it out separatly and don't forget the powersupply. If you are still having the problem see if you can borrow a power supply froma friend and try it. It could be your problem.
Old May 19, 2011, 11:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I've never really trusted the auto fan settings on a graphics card as typically they are set to be the quietest as possible, which on some cards can still lead it to overheat. Its why i suggested getting Afterburner or Precision, so the OP can monitor and potentially increase the fan speed to help with the possible overheating card
Old May 19, 2011, 12:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How fagged are your drives ? Defrag any Hard drives ?
I had isues with Win 7 staring try and do matence cycles wile gaming fore long periods.