Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 26, 2008, 06:08 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Need something to play...

I find myself bored lately, i am mainly playing a lot of Team Fortress 2 which is fun but the game is fairly simple and even with custom maps its starting to feel like its time to take a break.

Maybe you guys can give me some suggestions on some games i might have missed. I will list a couple games that i have played or tried and than see if you guys can offer any opinions.

BioShock: Played a little bit, didn't really like it... Not sure why
Call of Duty 4: Single player was great, beat it. Haven't tried Multiplayer yet.
Crysis: Beat it... Thought it was alright. Never tried Multiplayer
Unreal Tournament 3: Single player was fun, Haven't tried Multiplayer yet either.
Team Fortress 2: I love this game, but want to take a break from fear of playing it too death.
Half-Life 2: A+++ my favorite game of all time.
Half-Life 2, EP01: Enjoyed it, Beat it.
Half-Life 2, EP02: Really enjoyed it, Beat it.
Portal: Also enjoyed it, Beat it.
Counter-Strike/CSS: Played CS since day 1. Enjoyed it 4 years ago... Can't stand it anymore.
Quake Wars ET: Cannot get into it for some reason even though it seems fun.
BF2/BF2142: Played both for a bit, but couldn't get into either.

I play a lot more than just FPS but these are the only games that are coming to mind right now... So all suggestions are welcome, games don't have to be new either.
Old January 26, 2008, 06:11 PM
Top Prospect

Age of Empires?
Old January 26, 2008, 07:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Pong lol what about ET or Americas army they both are free and pretty good games although Americas army takes a little bit because you have to train a bit but it is fun as a matter of fact I was going to install it on my System but though I would wait until my other system is built
Old January 26, 2008, 08:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

Go sign up for a beta try out of Mythos... you'll be hooked Mythos
Old January 26, 2008, 10:04 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I think it's time to start playing racing, strategy, or RPG games for a change.
Old January 26, 2008, 10:25 PM
MVP

My System Specs

If you haven't tried Multiplayer COD4 or UT3 yet, I recommend you do. I love COD4 MP, it's great amounts of fun. :D Although I haven't tried UT3 yet, it's supposed to be a great game, and you should try multiplayer. You could also try the advance maps\advanced challenges (or whatever they are called, I don't quite remember) in Portal.

In general, try all modes of a game before you say you have "no games left to play".
-Deadpool
Old January 26, 2008, 11:17 PM
Allstar
F@H

*hates UT3 with a fiery passion equal to a thousand hellfires*

Go to your local EB games and pick up a copy of Baulders Gate 2 (and Throne of Baal) and play it for the next 60+ hours, then continue with TF2? Yay for one of the best computer RPG's ever made!
Old January 27, 2008, 12:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Since you love HL2 how about some excellent 3rd party Mods for it? I am playing Minerva right now. It is top notch work with 4 chapters, a new HL2 experience with a different character and missions, the combine are more aggressive and I actually get stuck once in a while scratching my head "where to go?". The Substance Mod is quite a trip. It's like MGS meets HL2 and is pretty fricken hard compared to HL2. I have heard Riot Act is really good to but have not tried it myself. You can download a ton of HL2 Mods right from Steam and they are all FREE

Edit: Oh and since HL2 is your fave of all time you definitely need to get the Fake Factory Cinematic Mod for it. It's basically a gfx upgrade for the original game and is oh so sweet.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 27, 2008, 07:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Mods for HL2 are amazing. Try Company of hero's, Supreme Commander, World in conflict(love this game so much for multi). Also there are some levels for portal you can download. Try your games online.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old January 27, 2008, 11:08 PM
MVP

My System Specs

i have to recommend stalker. its a shooter with exploration and some rpg elements. i have played through it a few times now and still not bored of it. the ai system and the ballistics engines are great. some of the firefights are as intense as cod4 single player imo...i have a lot of war stories from that game its never the same twice, even if you reload a quicksave things can/will go dramatically different. i highly recommend it. once you play through it theres some really good mods that make it worth going at again (and in my case again and again).

right now on my lan i have 2 older pcs that cant play anything new, so we are playing 3 player dungeon lords. i got collectors edition and its pretty solid in terms of bugs (if you read a review of the game you will likely be reading a review of the unpatched buggy-as-hell version that everyone hated). its actually a lot of fun in coop because you can have a healer, mage and fighter...in single player you have no choice but to generalize so you can heal yourself and use the magic stuff you find. its way cooler in a group where everyone has a 'job'. in my 3 player group, we are all experienced rpg players (paper/dice and pc/console rpgs) and everyone is in agreement that this is the funnest one we have played in ages (coop).