Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 18, 2011, 06:37 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Default Suggest-A-Game: Action-RPG?

Hello again everyone. As part of my recent dive into RPG games, ive decided I'd like to try some new ones, maybe find one that I can really get into. Im mostly an FPS gamer, so the whole turn-based thing is hard to get into. Graphics are a little important too, but gameplay comes first

Games I've played and liked (in brackets = what I didn't like)=
-Mass Effect / Mass Effect 2 - Awesome game mechanics, love the First-Person aspect
-Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (Why cant the spells look any different?)

I should mention that I really love magic/spells/Epicness. So any game where I can play with magic or similar and blow the crap out of everything is a great for me.

Games I've tried so far (Impressions in brackets)=
- Dragon Age: Origins - Nice graphics, fun to be a magic user (Learning curve = fail? Impossible once I reached Red-something (Redcliffe?). Even with Cheats, keep getting massacred)
- DnD : Online - Easy to play, exactly the same as real DnD (Graphics are awful, voice acting awful, game looks like its from 2000)
Magika Demo - Cute and fun little game. But not really an RPG.

Any other suggestions?
Old April 18, 2011, 06:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You're having problems at Redcliffe, thats kind of odd. What level are you and your party, i found in DA:O i really needed to have 2 mage users that could heal my party for me to be able to go through the game without chugging a million potions on Hard
Old April 18, 2011, 06:58 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
You're having problems at Redcliffe, thats kind of odd. What level are you and your party, i found in DA:O i really needed to have 2 mage users that could heal my party for me to be able to go through the game without chugging a million potions on Hard
Maybe I just suck at RPGs? lol... I think my whole party was level 6-7. Went there after going to the village that Morrigan told us to go to. Yes, I know I wasnt doing little side missions, cause I want to stick with the main story/plot on my first run through of any game. I just keep dying and dying at redcliffe when trying to take the castle back from the undead things. Even when I used cheats and knocked my whle part up to level 10-11 we still got slaughtered - and this happened with two different characters (A Mage and a Two-handed weapon soldier). Bleh. Shouldnt take rocket science to have fun in a game on EASY...
Old April 18, 2011, 07:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Maybe I just suck at RPGs? lol... I think my whole party was level 6-7. Went there after going to the village that Morrigan told us to go to. Yes, I know I wasnt doing little side missions, cause I want to stick with the main story/plot on my first run through of any game. I just keep dying and dying at redcliffe when trying to take the castle back from the undead things. Even when I used cheats and knocked my whle part up to level 10-11 we still got slaughtered - and this happened with two different characters (A Mage and a Two-handed weapon soldier). Bleh. Shouldnt take rocket science to have fun in a game on EASY...

Sounds like you're doing something off because yes you shouldnt be having that much issue on easy. Are you making sure you have a tank and that they mostly attack them, also, have you made sure that your healer (or healers) will try to heal your party with various healing spells when they are lower then 75% full health (i don't believe in that 50% default crap)
Old April 18, 2011, 07:48 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Sounds like you're doing something off because yes you shouldnt be having that much issue on easy. Are you making sure you have a tank and that they mostly attack them, also, have you made sure that your healer (or healers) will try to heal your party with various healing spells when they are lower then 75% full health (i don't believe in that 50% default crap)
Yes yes Ive played enough RPGs to know that much. In the first game I was the tank actually (my main character) using a huge greatsword to try to lop off heads, but the other characters in my party would also get surround and killed quickly (there was probably 10-12 undead in one shot).

Anyways... Im looking for alternate suggestions for the time being. No more DA:O for me right now.
Old April 18, 2011, 08:31 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The upcoming Witcher II game could be right up your alley.
Old April 18, 2011, 08:39 AM
MVP

My System Specs

personally i liked two worlds a little better than oblivion, it could be a good cheap possibility. two worlds 2 also just came out a few months ago, i have no idea how it is but also might be worth getting albiet at alot more cost
Old April 18, 2011, 08:59 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The upcoming Witcher II game could be right up your alley.
Good suggestion! Although I tried Witcher 1 and was a little disappointed with the graphics so I didnt play it much. The sequel may be just what I'm looking for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyblazzwa View Post
personally i liked two worlds a little better than oblivion, it could be a good cheap possibility. two worlds 2 also just came out a few months ago, i have no idea how it is but also might be worth getting albiet at alot more cost
Never heard of it, but ill take a look!

Thx for the suggestions "Y'all" !
Old April 18, 2011, 09:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Good suggestion! Although I tried Witcher 1 and was a little disappointed with the graphics so I didnt play it much. The sequel may be just what I'm looking for!
There is a texture mod for Witcher 1, it help a bit.

The Witcher Texturen Mod - Mod DB

The Witcher: Hi-Res Character Models - Mod DB
Old April 18, 2011, 10:24 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Remember, Witcher II is a PC-exclusive title so I for one will support it buy buying a copy.