Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 1, 2011, 05:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Running my own minecraft server... for now

Hey, I'm running a very small minecraft server atm. It's on my old imac, and I don't plan to chuck in any more RAM, so I'm limiting it to a small number of people. Having lots of fun so far with minecraft, and especially a server now!

It's 100% no mods PvE, but I may look into some mods like the locked chests... Overall, I'm just having fun playing on it (hosted from home) and it's decent for anyone in western Canada (no, not from the NW USA, you'll be laggy as hell) if you feel like joining me from time to time. No guarantee if this will be a 100% uptime or permanent server or if I will end up going whitelist. For now, I'm just doing it for fun and will run it regularly.

The point is to have some people who are good people to play with (no stealing, no griefing, not etc) instead of having to enforce tons of rules. If you've been playing single player all this time, or just like the sounds of this small humble server of mine, send me a PM to discuss and get the IP for the server :)
Old April 1, 2011, 06:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
Hey, I'm running a very small minecraft server atm. It's on my old imac, and I don't plan to chuck in any more RAM, so I'm limiting it to a small number of people. Having lots of fun so far with minecraft, and especially a server now!

It's 100% no mods PvE, but I may look into some mods like the locked chests... Overall, I'm just having fun playing on it (hosted from home) and it's decent for anyone in western Canada (no, not from the NW USA, you'll be laggy as hell) if you feel like joining me from time to time. No guarantee if this will be a 100% uptime or permanent server or if I will end up going whitelist. For now, I'm just doing it for fun and will run it regularly.

The point is to have some people who are good people to play with (no stealing, no griefing, not etc) instead of having to enforce tons of rules. If you've been playing single player all this time, or just like the sounds of this small humble server of mine, send me a PM to discuss and get the IP for the server :)
Both headsh0t and myself had a server running.. but the fun of minecraft wears off after awhile.. but enjoy :)
Old April 1, 2011, 04:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I can understand how the fun of minecraft starts to diminish over time, but for now it's great fun. I think part of the problem is the: limited number of creations (although mods help by brining new items) and the fact that multiplayer has no good way to prevent people from just destroying everything of yours or stealing your stuff (other than human interaction).
Old April 2, 2011, 11:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I can understand how the fun of minecraft starts to diminish over time, but for now it's great fun. I think part of the problem is the: limited number of creations (although mods help by brining new items) and the fact that multiplayer has no good way to prevent people from just destroying everything of yours or stealing your stuff (other than human interaction).
I'm not sure if the plugin is updated, but you can get the WorldGuard plugin for craftbukkit which allows you to set boundaries on what people can destroy. I definitely recommend you install craftbukkit on your server (it is a server wrapper) because it is pretty much the future of minecraft SMP servers. You could still run vanilla with craftbukkit installed because craftbukkit uses plugins to change aspects of the game. The thing that sucks about it though is that the plugins need to be updated for the latest builds of craftbukkit, if anything their code relies on is changed, so it is up to the plugin developer to update it. Hopefully we will see a mod API from Notch soon.

And yea, like enab said and I mentioned in another post, I pretty much play in spurts. I'll play for a few weeks and then stop playing for a while. I usually start up again with new patches. I totally want to try out the new tameable wolves! Hit me up with your server IP if you want me to check it out!
Old April 2, 2011, 12:40 PM
Rookie

I was hosting before on my Precision 690 (dual processor) 4gb of ram but i stopped. I may start hosting again when i get my new pc up and spend more time up here.

Great game and hosting is so easy... lol

Nice to see someone else in Calgary with some interest in the game.
Old April 2, 2011, 04:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, still, if I have a white-list and private server, that should fully prevent hackers/griefers from getting onto my server? I backup manually, but plan to have automated hourly backups soon, so I'm not worried about someone on the server messing things up... I'll just warn/ban him and restore a backup.

Seriously though, for this game to be a final version, they do need to have proper support for mods and they do need to make SMP an environment that is safer (i.e. locked chests, limits on destroying other people's stuff, blah blah blah).
Old April 2, 2011, 06:16 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I bought it in Alpha, so I got lifetime upgrades for free.... Havent played in a few months though. Me and a buddy would both work together on a single world, send it back and forth as our schedules rarely meshed. Then on day off one of us would host the server and we could actually do stuff together.

Unfortunatly I'm back into my other big time waster (Eve Online) so I think MC is still gonna sit unused for a while, especially since it takes soooooo long to build things that make it fun. (When starting fresh/new maps)

Have an A-1 day!
Old April 2, 2011, 08:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

nah, I don't mind using OP early on to give you some basic building materials to speed things up :D

But, I do want to have a few people on my server so they can build stuff too and I can get a small 'city' much faster.
Old April 2, 2011, 09:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Seriously though, for this game to be a final version, they do need to have proper support for mods and they do need to make SMP an environment that is safer (i.e. locked chests, limits on destroying other people's stuff, blah blah blah).
If you would've read my last post, already achievable and mod API is in the works.
Old April 3, 2011, 02:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
If you would've read my last post, already achievable and mod API is in the works.
Hopefully we will see a mod API from Notch soon....

that doesn't mean that they are in the works with the given wording. My understanding was that "you hope he does it." Also, without installing mods, I don't know of any way to make the world safer as I described. Still, I'm sort of staying away from mods (even though they are cool) because they aren't officially supported.