Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 22, 2011, 09:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default StarCraft 2 is just too good :)

Man, ever time I take a break from SC 2, it doesn't take me long to itch to play it again! Hehe, I've started watching a lot of pro tournaments, casts, etc, and it just makes me like it even more.

Still struggling to be a solid player with the low number of hours I actually play 1v1, but love the game and still have a ton of fun. Although I do enjoy the competitive side of 1v1, it takes a lot of work and energy to know builds, counters, have mechanics, don't make mistakes, etc. The real winning attribute of SC 2 is the custom games!

I've played 50% of my hours on custom games (at least) and OMG I just can't help myself (no matter how much I want to get better at 1v1)! Also, I finally took the plunge into 3v3 and 4v4 just over a month ago and ended up liking it a bit more than I expected. I'm still raging at many 3v3 and 4v4 matches because they can be so one sided if just one of your teammates doesn't make an army or group it up, not to mention the idiots who leave the game when they still have their whole base. Sure, I could fix 90% of my issues with 3v3 and 4v4 by finding good teammates, but it's still fun because it's not as serious as a game mode and it's epic when you can force a macro game :)
Old March 22, 2011, 10:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I totally agree with what you said...

I got to diamond in 1v1 and 2v2 (was first of my division in December) and then I took a break, since then I got to diamond in 4v4. I haven't dared playing 1v1 or 2v2 yet cuz I am so rusty. I know what I should do, I know how I should react and I am just not constant enough. In 4v4, I tend to be in the top 2 of all 8 players when its good and in the bottom 2 of my team when I suck.

I personally prefer 1v1 and 2v2 tho. What race do you play ?

If ever you need... I need a practice buddy to get back into it for real.

I also watch a lot of streams, but I have to stop until the 24th... Somehow I used an enormous amount of bandwith.
Old March 22, 2011, 10:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Lol, yeah bandwith...

I like protoss and sometimes terran. I'm trying to be a protoss player, but sometimes I just find PvT so annoying and PvP so boring (4 gate anyone?) that I like to play terran. Terran is just so dynamic and versatile compared to any race, imo. I was a platinum player and then after slacking off got demoted to gold, I've had some amazing 1v1 lately (with my mechanics and multi-tasking) compared to the past, so I may start to rise if I can learn the match-ups better.
Old March 22, 2011, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I play Terran and don't change race because of the reasons you said.

Every single race has got really good pros and really bad cons. I wouldn't play cheesetoss, but I can definitively say they are an amazing race and this has nothing to do with 4 gates, because there are many other options with that race, just like there are many options with all races. I somewhat agree mirror matchups can be more borring, although I don't find TvT to boring.
Old March 22, 2011, 10:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Haha I know what you mean. It took me forever to get into Silver League. I'm hating the new ladder maps atm but the GSL maps are plain awesome. Can't wait for them to be released into the ladder maps.

If there is one thing I hate about SC2 is the poor ladder matches. I'm in silver and twice it paired me up against the same Platinum zerg player. Really now?! A silver can beat Platinum?! Same guy too! WTF
Old March 22, 2011, 01:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
If there is one thing I hate about SC2 is the poor ladder matches. I'm in silver and twice it paired me up against the same Platinum zerg player. Really now?! A silver can beat Platinum?! Same guy too! WTF
It is not perfect, but you can learn a lot by playing against a better player. Besides, that's how the system manages to change your rank. In both 1v1 and 2v2, I was ranked Bronze, I was lacking practice and within the next 25 games, I was gold, if not platinum... In the process, I have won against better players.

I am now diamond and I lose to lower level players, it pisses me off, but I do. Sometimes, I am plain and simply surprised by what he did or I just get a brain freeze. Look at it this way (those numbers are fake but they represent reality), when a silver plays a platinum. If the silver loses, he loses 4 points (or maybe 6, its been a while ?), the platinum wins 4 (or 6 ?). If the silver wins, he wins 16 points and the platinum loses 16. So its pretty much a win/win situation for you, unless you are constantly paired with plat.
Old March 22, 2011, 02:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you get placed against someone who is really high ranked against you, that means you've been doing well and it's testing if you should get promoted, etc. A low gold player can have the same skill as a high silver player. Your ranking gives you a general, but not total sense of skill.

I have a bunch of tutorials for bronze-gold players if you are looking to improve your game: YouTube - klizilii's Channel

Make sure you check out the economy playlist of tutorials. Macro/economy is the most important thing in the game.
Old March 22, 2011, 03:28 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I am looking forward to getting back home to my rig and playing some more SCII (I only have my laptop at school, but I have been keeping sharp by playing through original SC and BW campaigns).

On thing I will probably do is pick a race and specialize. Since the days of WC3 I have always been an advocate of ALWAYS playing random. I felt I had a more well-rounded understanding of each race and their strategies that way. But with SC2 this failed on me. I'll probably start with Terran then move to Zerg.
Old March 23, 2011, 04:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Off topic, but I played some SC2 ladder games today and turned the graphic settings to max at 1280X1024 resolution. I was getting a bit of lag in the big battles. It was the typical TvP battle where it's like colossi and stalkers vs marauders and vikings. Obviously I lost because I'm not good enough lol. Does this happen to anyone else? I thought my GTX 460 would tear the game apart...
Old March 23, 2011, 05:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

don't set it to ultra :P