Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 11, 2011, 06:49 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default BFBC2 online noobie suggestions

HOLY HELL!

I didnt realize BFBC2 online is fun! I finally download the copy (i misplaced the EA email to download again) - anyhows got that sorted out and played for 4 hrs straight!

Got my ass handed to me lots of times, its been awhile since ive played FPS on PC .

Now, there's a few ranks - Recon, Engineer, Medic and assault (?). I had fun using engineer and Recon. But how do hell do you drop ammo and engineer packs?

Do i need to reach a certain XP level to those?

Oh and any more hints on getting more XP points? And which server do you guys usually play. The Toronto server i played yesterday was cool.

Thanks
-Swiffy MCP35x X2, (2) Aphacool UT60 480 rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ult 64-bit

HTPC Rig:
-G3258 @ Stock, Asrock Z97 Pro 4, Gigabyte 270x, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Corsair HX620 PS, Win 7 Ult 64-bit
Old March 11, 2011, 07:32 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Add me Sulkiller666 I'm rank 37 or 38 I think 37 xD. But I'm extremely active and know alot about how to play :)
Old March 11, 2011, 07:53 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The four classes each have their own "style" of game play. The more points you get, the higher your level...the more goodies you get.

The recon class is basically a "sniper". Learn to stay back from the front line and snoop and poop. Take headshots. Learn to compensate for bullet drop. Easiest way is to find something at dif ranges in your field of view and pop it...see where the bullet HITs vs where you aimed....this is the bullet drop for that range. Do that for medium and far range and you will have a good idea. Cover and concealment is the name of the game. I personally like the silenced weapons you get later on as it allows me to get up close and personal....though going "Assault wookie" is FUN too. Learn to drop sensor balls and mark enemies so your team mates KNOW about them too....that way if you miss and a teammate kills em, YOU get some points too. Until you get the silence weapons...1 or 2 shots then MOVE. Figure out 2 or 3 or 4 "hides" move from one to another. It will keep you alive longer. Reload often.

Assault is the rambo, "tank" class. Learn to fire and maneuver. Never stay still, never stand up when you can be kneeling behind some cover. Learn about enfilading fire, and how to go around corners by "cutting the pie" when in the street maps. Drop ammo crates often (when you level up and get it). This guy is all about fast action, "me ugg, me like stomping you" full on brawling. Best used in combination with a team, sniper for long range and a medic to patch you up and lay down suppressing fire until you get into position. Spray and pray will NOT work. Short bursts, hide, reload, MOVE, fire. Is the idea.

Medic, is the healer AND the heavy weapons expert. Learn to stay close to an assaulter who can replenish your ammo. Learn how to fire short accurate bursts from the machine gun. Like in RL....say "fire" or "die" and release the trigger results in 3-5 round burst that will be accurate. Learn to lay down HEAVY fire so that your teammates can advance (aka suppressive fire). Learn to reload when there is a lull in battle....as the machine gun loads SLOW.

Engineer. He can be used as a snoop and pooper as he has silenced weapons, as a long range killer with the gustav (only wankers do this OFTEN...but sometimes it makes sense). While the Carl G is SUPPOSED to be a anti tank only weapon...it works good on PEOPLE. and GREAT on screwing up their cover. Take out the house's walls and even if the shrapnel doesnt kill em, the house falling on them...WILL. When you get the wrench, stay close to the heavies. A tank + engineer wingman...is NASTY. The tank goes in blasts the crap out of things until its down to like 10%....retreats, the engineer repairs it (getting lots o points) and rinse and repeat.

Basically the game it LOADS of fun when played with peeps with half a brain. Its not Modern WarFAIL. Its about teams. Get on a good team and you can roll the competition up. Get on a dweeb team and it sucks. IF the team you join is 90% one class...leave...especially if its snipers.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 11, 2011, 08:32 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

the medic is probably the best class to use when you're starting out. You will unlock the health box and defibrillator quickly. Once you have those items, you accumulate xp very quickly. Stay a bit behind the assault guys and put health boxes in places that are protected and convenient for them. When you get the defibrillator, don't put yourself in too much danger to revive an teammate. You also don't have to me standing ontop of them to revive. After you get good with the medic, I would move to the assault next.

I would say the biggest thing that will help you and your team as a noob, is learn to spot enemies for your team. Anytime you ever see a bad guy, hover the crosshairs on him and hit the communicate button. A little red triangle will appear over their head and then everyone on your team can see him in their radar. Doing this for tanks and UAVs is really important too
Old March 11, 2011, 08:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i too have been having fun with this. Only around level 8 right now been having a blast as an assault. Run and gun :) i also love nade's. Been playing mostly on the {TEC} noob server but if there are others HC people are playing i am always up for BC2. (despite my lack of skill )

Old March 11, 2011, 09:18 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Great, thanks for the tips!

Look me up as well, Ironsmack i believe - lol. Too many frickin' usernames to remember.

You guys have a preferred server to play?
-Swiffy MCP35x X2, (2) Aphacool UT60 480 rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ult 64-bit

HTPC Rig:
-G3258 @ Stock, Asrock Z97 Pro 4, Gigabyte 270x, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Corsair HX620 PS, Win 7 Ult 64-bit
Old March 11, 2011, 09:20 AM
da_bradler

You unlock everything by level 25 so don't be too worried about waiting for unlocks. Also the starting weapons on the assault and engineer are my prefered weapons 30 ranks in. So it's certainly not a case of the unlocked guns being stronger or better. Just different.

Make sure you always join a squad, try to stay in a squad with 3 other people, leave your squad right away if other players leave and you find yourself alone or with one other.

See an ammo box? might as well stand on it and throw gernades :) spamming nades is normally pretty helpful in situations.

not going to help with points but please use smoke when assaulting on Rush maps :) helps tremendously with choke points.

Don't be a bush wookie. being a long range sniper is the easiest way to contribute nothing to the team. when you unlock the shotgun or G3 or M14 a close combat recon constantly throwing sensor balls ahead of the team is much more usefull.

Being a medic is less important on defense since you have unlimited tickets.

Try and find noob servers that kick players over level 25-30. a big part of learning the game is learning to compensate for the recoil on the guns. your going to be at an unfair advantage due to not having time to learn this compensation at first. You'll have more fun and learn quicker playing with players closer to your level.

don't forget about squad mechanics, if your up near the objective in a safe spot and notice the rest of your squad is dead, try and wait to see if one of them spawns on you.

oh and know that almost all weapons do signficantly less damage at longer range(the first assault gun is one of the exceptions to this)

Burst fire! full auto only useful in certain situations.

I play on Reddit Dallas They have a mumble server set up which is sorta like Ventrilo or team speak. Lets everyone communicate although it's mostly just chit chat. very active though.
Old March 11, 2011, 10:05 AM
MVP

My System Specs

ahhh roughly one more month until I will be back at home from school playing this game.

I will be sure to start adding HWC players once I get my rig up and running again :)
Old March 11, 2011, 10:47 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Best advise from me would be... try the different game modes.
I got the game about 3 weeks ago and stuck to DeathMatch. Only last monday did I decide to try differents modes and I whish I had done it before. The Conquer*sp?* mode is beast.
Old March 11, 2011, 11:18 AM
MVP
F@H

Imho Medic and Engineer are most useful all around. Sniper is good for defense (if you play Rush) since the attackers have limited number of tickets.

Assault I only use when someone asks for ammo or when we need smoke (yes, it can be useful in certain situations).

Don't forget that as a Sniper you can still get automatic weapons (or semi-auto?) and play very close to the action. This is where your motion mines are very useful for the rest of your team.

If you are an Engineer repair the tanks, if you are tank driver give the Engineer around you a chance to repair your vehicle. You dont have to stand still for that but don't drive half way across the map as soon as someone starts fixing you.

As for game modes I prefer Rush and Conquest. Deathmatch and Squad Deathmatch make the game feel like CoD: Black Ops