Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 10, 2008, 10:41 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkorb View Post
Most Wanted was the best, carbon was meh, and this is BRUTAL
yeah. I'm torn. I HATE trafic (I know its part of the environment, feel, etc. still sucks) and the retarded city streets (there's a reason race tracks don't have 90 degree kinks) but love the cop chases (and the trafic/ city streets WORK there, so its weird). So the track setting and sim feel have ups and downs.

Most Wanted felt right, with the curvy highway giving a quasi- racetrack feel. Plus, that one looked the best by far.

Carbon was a step backwards. at least this one is sideways
Old January 11, 2008, 08:33 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I wouldn't quite consider this game to be anywhere near a racing sim. The physics engine has been carried over from Carbon, which in turn was carried over from Most Wanted. So handling-wise, it's still utter shite.

I don't really have any interest in the high-speed races or the drift events (the two weakest points in the game), but the sheer customizability is massive. The "tuning" that EA has been bragging about is still relatively juvenile, carried over from Most Wanted--a kid's game of sliding a bunch of "HIGH" and "LOW" bars without any accurate representation with real-world values. Compared to Gran Turismo's utterly invincible level of tuning, this game (along with almost every racing game from anywhere with tuning) outright fails.

Need for Speed: ProStreet

Gran Turismo 4 (pardon the German)

The physics notwithstanding, the game still has the overdramatic, in-your-face attitude that began with Need for Speed: Underground. I personally think it's rather amateurish and gives real tuning and motoring a poor reputation.

Many of you guys already know that the vehicle handling is complete dross. This is because: 1) the game's physics engine is directly tied to your frame rate, so a machine not running at a consistently very high frame rate will have a few unwelcome surprises resulting in poor driving altogether; and 2) steering input via the keyboard is no longer like Underground or Underground 2, rather it is the same terrible system from Most Wanted and Carbon: pressing a key to turn the car only initiates the slow progressive motion of your wheels turning in your desired direction--so you actually end up having to turn before you reach a corner--unlike Underground 2, whereby pressing the turn key, the wheels turn immediately. Using a racing wheel and pedals will yield a drastic improvement--as long as you have a beast of a machine to run the game to begin with.

Drifting is still nannied and tailored to the North American clientele, meaning the game drifts for you, and is no improvement from Carbon whatsoever. Turning off the driving aids doesn't seem to actually turn some of them off and I already have the game at maximum difficulty and with clutch-only manual transmission. But, unlike Forza Motorsport, the game doesn't reward more hardcore players with said options--which is insulting.

Overall, I think the game is okay. Not bad. Despite some gripes (I am, after all, a driving game aficionado; so I'm relatively very harsh compared to most others) the game does have some worthwhile qualities. Vehicle customization is now boundless, something Gran Turismo is sorely lacking, despite a few amateurish (and functionless, just-there-because-they-might-look-good) aero parts, and this is the franchise's terrible third or forth attempt at real vehicle tuning. The audio is okay (some cars, like the Supra, have engine notes that are accurate to their real-life counterparts, while others use recycled assets from Underground) and the music is actually an improvement over EA's last four Need for Speed games, albeit all licensed material. If anyone has vigorously played the franchise way back in 1997, they'll agree EA had the very best in racing game music, composed by Romolo DiPrisco. The array of selectable vehicles deserves a thumbs up and is no longer senselessly littered with European super-exotic (and super not-even-in-your-dreams) dream cars to the extent of Carbon or Most Wanted.

The race tracks are actually well-done, depending on how difficult you want them, and are probably the game's biggest asset. The graphics and effects are obviously 'good', but the game's obscene system requirements are baffling and it doesn't scale down to older machines very well, if at all.

I've played the franchise since their very first game, and I can confidently say that ProStreet isn't the encumbrence to the series that people are describing it to be. The game falls short of most of the game's expectations (which, I have to say, were already so high in orbit that they were impossible to meet, anyway) but it is a satisfying refresh of the franchise's progressively blander street racing motif.

In summary:
I score it
76/100
Satisfying. Pretty. Somewhat frustrating to play.

Some screenshots I previously made:

Last edited by Amon; January 12, 2008 at 12:04 AM.
Old January 11, 2008, 09:17 PM
Top Prospect

Gran Turismo is certainly the top sim of all time... no argument here. That game is brilliant!
Old January 11, 2008, 10:02 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam101p5 View Post
Gran Turismo is certainly the top sim of all time... no argument here. That game is brilliant!
I have played the 3rd one with the HD concept on PS3, but for now I think forza is better than both, but I will soon get a hold of the 4th one.
Old January 12, 2008, 05:55 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theblackmages View Post
I have played the 3rd one with the HD concept on PS3, but for now I think forza is better than both, but I will soon get a hold of the 4th one.
You'll probably like Gran Turismo 4 if you are more of a realist than a competitive driver (driving spirit vs. driving achievement). Compared to Forza, the tuning is much more deeper. I personally don't like Forza's "HIGH/LOW" slide-the-bar tuning (like Need for Speed) and its emphasis in motoring competition and winning races. It's still a good game for what it's intended to do.

It depends on what your tastes are. If you're strictly into the racing scene and cars in general, but don't want to deal with the all of the tiny nooks and crannies associated with driving while still enjoying a somewhat simplified approach to driving, then Forza and Need for Speed are your best picks. If you've a more seasoned taste in driving and want maximum oversight of every single aspect of your vehicle's behavior (mostly the obsessive tuners and perfectionist drivers), then Gran Turismo is where you'll want to steer. It's a difference of demographic, the way I see it.
Old January 12, 2008, 06:54 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon View Post
You'll probably like Gran Turismo 4 if you are more of a realist than a competitive driver (driving spirit vs. driving achievement). Compared to Forza, the tuning is much more deeper. I personally don't like Forza's "HIGH/LOW" slide-the-bar tuning (like Need for Speed) and its emphasis in motoring competition and winning races. It's still a good game for what it's intended to do.

It depends on what your tastes are. If you're strictly into the racing scene and cars in general, but don't want to deal with the all of the tiny nooks and crannies associated with driving while still enjoying a somewhat simplified approach to driving, then Forza and Need for Speed are your best picks. If you've a more seasoned taste in driving and want maximum oversight of every single aspect of your vehicle's behavior (mostly the obsessive tuners and perfectionist drivers), then Gran Turismo is where you'll want to steer. It's a difference of demographic, the way I see it.
That's what I thought, but being a guy that doesnt know that much really about cars the tuning part is a nono,I've done a bit of it in LFS , so yeah I just know a Tiny bit. But I'm sure I'll still enjoy it because my friend who plays GT3 doesnt know anything about cars and he likes the game.
Old January 12, 2008, 08:09 PM
Top Prospect

The tuning part of Gran Turismo makes the game. All the cars and parts to trick out the cars. I think GT3 has pretty good graphics still. It's probably had a huge impact on the car scene too. Different kinds of makes and specialty models the average person never heard of until they played the game when the first series came out 10 years ago. Man, it was the coolest thing compared to PC games at the time -- I remember playing the first need for speed when I started University in 1996, and I played it a lot. Gran Turismo was quite a bit more advanced when it came out versus that one.
Old January 16, 2008, 09:26 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

A few more of my screenshots for your enjoyment

Signal Auto Inc. Skyline BNR34
900ps

My touge AE86
170ps
Old January 16, 2008, 09:38 PM
Top Prospect

I beat Ryo but now My game crashes, I can load it up but after a few secks it crashes, :(
Old January 18, 2008, 12:17 AM
Rookie

Can anyone tell me about rFactor,I watched some vids on youtube and it looked pretty cool.