Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 24, 2011, 04:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over View Post
I guess I won't be playing this, the last thing I need is another half assed game "service" to fight with whenever I feel like playing a quick game of something.
Battlelog is much faster then opening up a game and finding a server.
Since you'd already have a web browser open already, just go to battlelog and find a server, join the game and bam you're in it within 30 seconds.
Old August 24, 2011, 07:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, I actually really like Battlelog. Open it in my browser, set what kind of game I want to play, and even squad up with friends before launching. Even then it will not maximize the game until it is ready to play. Gives you a minute to browse, chat or whatever. No waiting for loading screens and watching trailers and yadda yadda.
Old August 24, 2011, 08:08 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
Yes, I actually really like Battlelog. Open it in my browser, set what kind of game I want to play, and even squad up with friends before launching. Even then it will not maximize the game until it is ready to play. Gives you a minute to browse, chat or whatever. No waiting for loading screens and watching trailers and yadda yadda.
This.
Old August 24, 2011, 09:24 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
+1 I enjoyed the battlelog when I participated in the alpha.
Old August 24, 2011, 09:25 PM
Top Prospect

Battlelog sounds cool, but origin doesn't. I really don't like them forcing origin upon us. Origin offers nothing new, which is why people are apposed to it.
Old August 25, 2011, 12:45 AM
Top Prospect

no, people are opposed to it because they are bored, and their lives are uninteresting, so they try to entertain themselves by hating something.
Old August 25, 2011, 01:43 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
no, people are opposed to it because they are bored, and their lives are uninteresting, so they try to entertain themselves by hating something.

I agree with you 500%
Old August 25, 2011, 03:10 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Bored or not, having to agree to have your entire computer searched and your usage logged as a requirement to install any EA game is a bit much. Steam may do something similar, but it is restricted to programs under its own banner and more importantly includes an opt-out as part of the installation process. Origin and EA give you no choice in having your profile (internet history, programs installed, usage patterns, etc) collected and sold to third parties.

One such posting, less hysterical than many: EA's Origin Service Is Basically Spyware, According to Origin's EULA - Giant Bomb
Old August 25, 2011, 04:30 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Steam's EULA is actually quite similar, yet people have been used to and accept it for so long they seem to forget what Valve actually has in there.

Also, EA actually gives support, unlike Valve whom I have a support ticket for over a week about the inability to launch or load steam on my computer. I mean come on, not even a week to say we're trying or anything, just an open ticket that'll eventually get closed due to "inactivity" with my issue unresolved.
Old August 25, 2011, 07:42 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Steam's EULA is actually quite similar, yet people have been used to and accept it for so long they seem to forget what Valve actually has in there.

Also, EA actually gives support, unlike Valve whom I have a support ticket for over a week about the inability to launch or load steam on my computer. I mean come on, not even a week to say we're trying or anything, just an open ticket that'll eventually get closed due to "inactivity" with my issue unresolved.
FTFA:

"...It's fair to point out that Valve's Steam service also does some of the things listed here when you use it. However, the trick is that Steam allows users to opt out of any and all such practices. Origin has no such opt-out feature, and in fact states that you cannot use the service at all unless you agree to their terms...."

Notice the part I have highlighted. Yeah, that makes origin a giant steaming turd. True on support though, Steam sucks as badly as Google at support. But its not a big enough feature to give EA a victory (as it loses on price / lack of special sale pricing events) and I truly hope that this experiment fails and costs them MILLIONS.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; August 25, 2011 at 07:54 AM.