Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 2, 2011, 07:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
The only thing I found ugly was some of the textures, which I'm sure are lower res place holder textures. Trees, bushes and the sandbags were pretty bad i noticed. Oh and those invisible walls, I found out were actually fallen trees that the server miscalculated as to where it fell or something? And Squad Spawning. Yeah, that didn't work.

As for Sniping, I felt there was waaay too much scope sway. You were better off taking the ak74 and using that to snipe. They should also add some sway to the 4x and 6x scopes which I didn't notice. Since they didn't have controls listed anywhere in game I found out after alpha was over that you could hold shift to steady scope lul. I wish I would've unlocked the SV98 and tried that out for a while since I prefer using bolt action rifles opposed to the semi auto like SVU you start out with.
I think you're right about the miscalculated trees. Friggin trunk was like 2" off the ground and my guy refused to walk over it.

I really liked how using a red dot was a small give away of your location in the tunnels. It makes you adjust to your environment. Red dot is great, but in the tunnels you could see people coming or see random lasers :P
Old August 4, 2011, 08:20 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

anybody that played alpha should have received an email offering a pre order bonus that I guess comes with the forthcoming expansion (BF2 Maps from what I understand, redesigned to the new engine) as well as unlocks etc, and a choice of a free game.

Games are:

Mass Effect 2
Dead Space 2
Medal of Honor

I opted for Dead Space 2.
Old August 4, 2011, 08:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman7k View Post
anybody that played alpha should have received an email offering a pre order bonus that I guess comes with the forthcoming expansion (BF2 Maps from what I understand, redesigned to the new engine) as well as unlocks etc, and a choice of a free game.

Games are:

Mass Effect 2
Dead Space 2
Medal of Honor

Where are you ordering from? I have it pre-ordered thru Origin so I assume that was why I never received that email.

Some info that was posted in my clans news section that I thought might be interesting for those that have not ordered.

Quote:
Battlefield 3 retailer-exclusive pre-order bonuses revealed
by Andrew Yoon, Aug 02, 2011 11:30am PDT

It's standard practice for nearly all AAA (and not-so-AAA) games to come with a variety of retailer-exclusive pre-order bonuses. Battlefield 3, however, outdoes most with a number of offers. Some offers, like the Physical Warfare DLC pack, will be made available for purchase later on. Others, however, seem to be genuinely exclusive to the retailer.

So far, three retailers have outed their pre-order offerings for DICE's upcoming military shooter.

All pre-orders of the game will include the Back to Karkand expansion pack for free--regardless of which retailer you buy the game from. The expansion includes classic Battlefield maps from throughout the franchise, and will be available after the game launches. A voucher included in the box will entitle you to a free download once the DLC releases.

Retailers will be offering specific bonuses on top of the Back to Karkand expansion:

Gamestop is offering the Physical Warfare pack, which unlocks these weapons for use in multiplayer: DAO-12 Shotgun, Flash Suppressor, Type 88 LMG, and Flachette Ammo. In addition, Battlefield 3 Blog reports that PowerUp Rewards members will get a Prima strategy guide for free, as well.

Amazon is offering an exclusive "Dog Tag Pack," for use in multiplayer.

Best Buy is offering the "SPECACT Kit," a package that offers eight multiplayer weapons and uniform skins.

Finally, EA's Origin store is offering the Physical Warfare pack, bonus items for Battlefield Play4Free, and access to the Battlefield 3 open beta.

Other retailers, like Direct2Drive, are simply offering the game at a discount, instead of offering a pre-order bonus. Make sure you think about exactly what bonus you want to take advantage of before making a deposit.
Also another tidbit that I was reading dont know how much water it holds but I will post it also:

Quote:
Right now the "official" (and I use that term loosely) word is that Battlefield 3 will indeed appear on Steam! However, it will not be released on the platform until after its initial release on other platforms, including EA's own Origin.

This "confirmation" comes from an EA Account Representative speaking to a Redditor on the subject. Take this with a grain of salt.

There were no additional details on the subject, including the length of time after the release or reasons for the delay. This also means that there will more than likely be no pre-order bonuses for Steam users looking to pick up the game. The original release date for the game is still slated for October 25 on the PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.
This article was originally published in forum thread: Battlefield 3 On Steam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old August 4, 2011, 08:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman7k View Post

Games are:

Mass Effect 2
Dead Space 2
Medal of Honor

Ehhhhh??? I didn't receive an email like this, but I didn't get one for the alpha either (hotmail account for me EA account fuuuuuu), I just signed in and got a key. Is there some sort of code I need in the email or can you just link me to where I can get this stuff you speak of.

Quote:
and access to the Battlefield 3 open beta
FUUUU why do they call it an "Open" beta if you have to get a key for access to it?
Old August 4, 2011, 10:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Pre-order bonuses are crap.

I would have already pre-ordered the game if it was available on Steam.
Old August 4, 2011, 11:23 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yah ... this Steam nonsense is really starting to bother me. They should just suck it up and eat the costs and make it available on both Origin and Steam. I like many others refuse to touch anything EA Store related. Just too many complications in the past ... and renaming it isn't going to change anything. They are losing a huge amount of sales by not having it available on both platforms.

If it's on Steam ... I'll buy it. I'll wait for it too. I don't need to get it right away.
Old August 4, 2011, 11:52 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

This is the link that was included in the email.

Origin

offer expires on the 7th.
Old August 5, 2011, 06:23 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Gamestop is offering the Physical Warfare pack, which unlocks these weapons for use in multiplayer: DAO-12 Shotgun, Flash Suppressor, Type 88 LMG, and Flachette Ammo. In addition, Battlefield 3 Blog reports that PowerUp Rewards members will get a Prima strategy guide for free, as well.

Best Buy is offering the "SPECACT Kit," a package that offers eight multiplayer weapons and uniform skins.
I don't get it.
If I don't pre-order the game, there are weapons in the game that won't be available to me?
wtf is that bs?
Old August 5, 2011, 08:24 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

they will be, eventually i think.
Old August 5, 2011, 09:26 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Pre-order bonuses are crap.

I would have already pre-ordered the game if it was available on Steam.
Agreed. The bonus items with the Brink preorder sounded cool at the time, then I realized it all gets unlocked anyway. BFBC was the same way, Rage looks to be going there too. It really agitates me that developers pump us up on all these preorder incentives that don't add up to much in the end. Splinter Cell Conviction was another one. Deus EX HR has the augmented edition, sorry, but I took the bait on the standard edition.

Don't fall for the hype people! BFBC was riddled with glitches when it came out, I won't make that mistake again.

/end rant.