Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 9, 2011, 10:05 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Sure...we / you got "balance".... Thats why you have CG spammers, sniper campers, nube tubers, peeps snipe'ing with shotguns across the map, m60 snipers....to just name a few. It is not balanced. Not even close. Even adding in "hardcore" mode did very little to balance things.

Balance would come from making tradeoffs in ammo allotment, accuracy, stopping power, recoil, noise, etc....similar to how it should be.

Why bother having more than one if the developer is going to spent considerable time and effort making them ALL the same? I mean srsly, the only dif between them is a slight dif in accuracy and the speed at which you can empty your clip. The rounds are what 16.x vs 14.x in stopping power at short range? ALL with laser like accuracy and zero bullet drop.

These games have RPG elements in them, as you grind to level up in order to get better weapons...when all you are doing is getting dif graphics and slightly dif weapon (the only exception is the AN91 which is so laughable compared to its RL counterpart as to be surreal).

Honestly, wind would be easy to add. Id be happy if it was a constant speed...make it just like the fake bullet drop . Have the server change the constant from time to time. Not anymore difficult than adding in "bullet drop". If you cant understand how to calculate for a simple variable like wind then you shouldnt be "helping" your team by camping...err sniping....get in there and be a RECON scout...oh wait...you wont be able to as they yanked the ghillie. :/

DICE is claiming that BF3 is such a complex program that end users mods probably wont ever get access to the tools needed for mod'ing so I expect them to take the time and effort to do it right. They have the money...look at how much they raked in from their last. They have had years. Given both, iF they dont they are not any better than infintyward....they just have better PR.

@PerryC...swap out the upper of the AR's. Voila instant "barrel change" for the game. Not realistic, but then again neither is barrels that never overheat, never wear out and shoot bullets that travel in a straight line for ever...or a 308 coming out of gun A having significantly less damage than gun B...even though barrel lengths aint that different. But I agree it wouldnt be realistic...but thats just the simplest way I could think of to nerf run and gunners who hold down the trigger, burn through hundreds of rounds...reload and do all over again with no penalty. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; July 9, 2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old July 9, 2011, 10:47 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

AKG, I suggest you check out Project Reality mod for Battlefield 2. All the realism things you are mentioning are fixed in the mod.
Old July 9, 2011, 11:49 AM

Yup, I like the P Reality mods peeps have made. Problem is Dice is saying that there probably wont be any mod tools for BF3...as the tools are "too complex". Thats what really got me pissed, considering I have it pre-ordered...but Im HOPING that they aren't going down the same road InfinityWard went....hopefully. :(

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 9, 2011, 12:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think the real reason for not supporting mod tools is it will cost them extra time/money/resources, and it won't bring them any monetary gain, but they don't want to say it like that so they just tell us that the modders won't be smart enough to know how to use Frostbite. Also the fact that they've already said that they will be having double the amount of DLC that Bad Company 2 did, and they don't want mods hurting their sale of more DLC. I wonder if EA made that decision or if it truly was DICE.

But yea AKG I wouldn't expect any of that stuff heh. I've read however that falling debris from Destruction 3.0 will actually kill players as well. Few other bullet points I found on multiplayer that people may not know:

Squad Leader confirmed, 4 Person Squad
Ability to spot a Enemy Squad Leader
Equippable Grenades
Falling debris from destruction 3.0 can kill players!
Equippable knife as well as quick knife (like BC2)
Support class able to mount bipods and give ammo
Rifleman class has medpack + defibrillator
Ability to change fire modes in multiplayer (semi/burst/auto)
Regenerative health in MP, but suppression effect stops regen (only regen when you aren't under fire)
Suppression effects from LMG, blur vision
Flashlights can blind the enemy
First Person Animations in Multiplayer
Faction Specific Weapons + Unlocks
Vehicles can be immobilized before being destroyed
Able to opt out of Revives in Multiplayer
3D spotting
Old July 11, 2011, 01:35 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'd like to order it but If BF3 isn't on Steam I'm not buying it.

Old July 11, 2011, 04:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

I don't see why it matter what (r)etailer you get it from, BF3 won't be using steamworks so you won't be able to join the server your friends are on from steam. You can just add it as a non steam game. Steam, with the exception of perhaps Origin, is the only DD platform that needs to run for you to play the games.

It's your decision, but I don't see why you wouldn't take advantage of the other services to get better deals.
Old July 11, 2011, 05:50 AM

Yeah mate you are doing you and your wallet a BIG disservice. You can get much better deals using DD and others ('specially with double coupon stacking DD was allowing a lil while back). In many cases...the S/N they send you CAN be reg'ed with steam. If not...its not a big deal, add it as a nonsteam game and use the steam overlay if you need that. :)

Old July 11, 2011, 06:27 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I'm quite sure that BF3 won't be available on Steam after EA pulled a number of titles. Personally, that suits me just fine as both Origin and Direct2Drive are pretty good services; both of which will be carrying BF3.
Old July 11, 2011, 05:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I'm quite sure that BF3 won't be available on Steam after EA pulled a number of titles. Personally, that suits me just fine as both Origin and Direct2Drive are pretty good services; both of which will be carrying BF3.
According to this it is certainly looking like a real possibility BF3 won't be on steam Steam not listed among Battlefield 3 digital - Shacknews.com

Does the rebranded EADM now allow unlimited downloads, or is it still only 6 months or a year?
Old July 11, 2011, 06:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
According to this it is certainly looking like a real possibility BF3 won't be on steam Steam not listed among Battlefield 3 digital - Shacknews.com

Does the rebranded EADM now allow unlimited downloads, or is it still only 6 months or a year?
I was curious about this because I bought Mass Effect 1 a long time ago at the EA store. I downloaded Origin the other day, and ME1 is listed as one of my games and am able to download it so yes - you can still get them later than 6 months. And I had bought it at the time when they did have a time limit and i was even offered on checkout to pay extra for like 3 years or something (which I didnt).

In regards to getting it on Steam, alot of arguements I get from people are "BUT IT UPDATES AUTOMATICALLLLYYY!!! I DONT WAMMA WAIT FOR MY UPDATE". Doesn't really matter for me since i've got a 25mbps. I'd rather save the $25 like I did when i pre-ordered from Direct 2 Drive