Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 8, 2011, 01:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

They did the look of the recon justice; an insufferable twat. Now the Bad Company 2 recon players can look the role too!
Old July 8, 2011, 11:45 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

No more hiding in the bushes with a full ghillie suit, damn.
Old July 8, 2011, 01:13 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Hmm, lets see. Instead of making the "sniper" role more difficult by making the scope FOV more realistic (a 12x power scope gives between 8 and 12 feet wide FOV @ 100yds...depending on size of body of the scope...NOT 25- 30feet it is in BFBC2) they make it harder to for the RECON players to play their role! D'oh. Now if you play recon there is almost ZERO reason to NOT be a sniper / camper on the edge of the maps. Great going Dice. Way to miss the point of RECON all together. :/

How about this
for Recon:
A) make the FOV proper, B) make it more realistic to try and run with a 50lb sniper rifle (ie you get a fast walk and thats IT) C) include WIND...who the hell shoots in perfect zero wind conditions on a routine basis?!...I wish I could. D) include mirage effects and heat updrafts in desert and city maps (pavement == heat mirage and updrafts just like in a desert). D) include scope adjustment...who really zeros this scope to zero yards? BUT make it only able to be changed in between spawns.

for assault:
Make barrels WEAR out. No matter how much ammo refill you get..your accuracy should go into the crapper after a couple couple dozen rounds on full auto. Make each gun like the gun it is modeled on. An M16 should == lots of ammo & accuracy but very little stopping power and small clusters of rounds. G3...low ammo count, high recoil, HIGH stopping power. AN91...low stopping power, highish recoil, low ammo count. etc
Limit the number of ammo crates you can carry. Make more ammo crates a perk.
Make a replacement barrel (with say 30 second..rofl....change out...and VARY it based on how hard it is to in RL) a perk.

for medic / support:
See assault. AND make them less accurate. No way in hell you should be able to snipe with a m60 from across the map. AND include tracer rounds. Every third round is a big lazer like beacon going back to you.
Make the number of first aid boxes limited. Make carrying more be a perk that includes a tradeoff.
Make a replacement barrel (with say 30 second..rofl....change out...and VARY it based on how hard it is to in RL) a perk.

for engineers:
Make the CG/RPG/ata4 either anti-personnel OR anti-material. You shoot a AP round and miss someone by even a foot or two...the end result is one scared, slightly wounded and seriously pissed off mofo coming to stick it up your arse...NOT a ring of death (the AP round would burn a .75 to 1 inch hole 12-15 inches deep in the ground..with some ankle high shrapnel around it). Include BACKBLAST. Shoot a CG in a small room == you turn to mush. Shooot it outside with someone within 12 feet directly behind you == THEY are turned to mush.

Shotguns:
Get rid of sabot rounds. Shotgun slug rounds beyond 100yds are NOT accurate and do NOT have stopping power to penetrate class 3...let alone class 4 US and USSR soldiers wear.

For ALL classes make bullet drop realistic. If you have a 223 it will shoot flatter than a 7.62x39. If you use the 50 it should have the SAME'ish trajectory as the 308 (this is one of the reason the 50bmg was chosen as the veteran snipers did not need to learn new tables)..it just throws a crap ton more weight at the same ballistic curve (out to about 1000yds before it varies enough to matter for accurate shooting).

Handguns
lower the power on the handguns to realistic levels (I mean come on, even if you dont have the body armour enhancement on (ie class FOUR body armor)...your body armor should be at least class 3 which will stop up to 44 mags) as the 1911 was stupidly overpowered. Give them more realistic curves and stopping levels too. I should not be able to kill an assaulter at 30 yds before he can kill me.

For a game that prides itself on being "more realistic than CoD"...it sure is utter tripe in key areas. It really is nothing more than a high tech "cowboys and injuns"....still fun by not as much as it COULD be. Get good at it...and it should reward you with pawnage...not cheap kills via CG spammers and long range "snipers".

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; July 8, 2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old July 8, 2011, 07:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It always pissed me off getting "sniped" by guys using weapons that just would not be accurate out to those ranges.
Old July 8, 2011, 07:27 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Well to be fair...a 308 bolt action is good for .5MOA easily (this is not even heavily customized just a $3-5k semi-custom rifle from a competent gunsmith). Since most maps are 200-400yds at their widest, thats a 1 to 2 inch TEN shot grouping. For semi's (AR10 base platforms), I have seen them easily get .5 - .75 MOA (Les Baer offers one for under 5K that can do .5 all day long), thats a 1 to 3 inch FIVE shot grouping. Accuracy is not the issue...lack of wind is. Give the game variable wind and then you will see the real "hunters" and the wannabes separated PDQ. Im am biased on this as I learned decades ago to properly judge windage.

But I totaly agree on those ing shotgun and machinegun snipers. Man THOSE tossers really piss me off. I love griefing them :P

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; July 8, 2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old July 8, 2011, 07:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Assault is handling medic duties and Support will be resupplying ammo, by the way.

Last edited by headsh0t; July 8, 2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old July 8, 2011, 08:24 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

A couple of points:

1. Assault rifles carried by the average soldier do not need to be sub 1 MOA. The Canadian version of the M16 is in the neighbourhood of 1.5 MOA...and its more accurate than the M16 family itself. The AK family isn't even in the ball park, but it had a different design phlosophy.

The M16A2 (US Army version) and the M16A4 (USMC) do not have fully automatic fire capability, and for good reason. Firing full auto is simply a waste of ammo at anything beyond short range, and totally useless after 3-5 rounds. Having said that, the M4 does have fully automatic fire. Fully automatic fire in short controlled bursts is effective as suppressing fire...forcing the bad guys to keep their head down.

Most assault rifles do not have the ability to change barrels, there are some newer weapons available that can. To do a barrel change with the M16 family means replacing the entire upper reciever. Can be done quickly...a matter of seconds. Getting the new out of wherever you are carrying it, then putting the old one away (likely still very hot ...so not a smart idea) would tkae longer than the actual change itself.

2. The M82 .50 cal sniper rifle weighs in the neighbourhood of about 27 pounds. I love to see somebody fire it from their shoulder, hit their target and not destroy their shoulder in the process. 'nuff said about that.

3. The idea of making your medic the same guy that carries a machinegun is a retarded idea and the games need to get away from that. Not sure why you would want the guy toting the largest part of your unit's firepower to stop shooting to treat a wounded soldier. Besides technically, a true medic is only carrying his weapon for self defense.

I have lots of real trigger time behind the Canadian versions of the M249 and M240G. I am out of practice with them now, but I used to be able to fire single shots from them almost at will. In combat though its pointless, and defeats the purpose of the weapons. They are area weapons...they are meant to put lots of bullets down range

I can still do a barrel change on either of those weapons and get bullets down range again in about 15-20 seconds...but wouldn't do it in combat unless I had absolutely had to.

going to get off my soap box now.
Old July 8, 2011, 09:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

AKG not trying to be a dick or anything, but you do realize that game balance comes before realism in all cases? Sure I'd love realism but balance is great, if you want real go play ARMA :P
Old July 8, 2011, 09:13 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
AKG not trying to be a dick or anything, but you do realize that game balance comes before realism in all cases? Sure I'd love realism but balance is great, if you want real go play ARMA :P
Exactly why I don't play a whole lot of fps type games. Never played ARMA/ARMA II as I have never had a system with enough guts to run it.
Old July 8, 2011, 09:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah balance is the most important thing. BF has always been a pretty balanced game series, a few things not right but whatever. If I'm sniping people that are running around like crazy kids I don't want to have to accommodate wind as well. That's cool for the long shots, as is bullet drop...but it's too much to expect from a game like this.