Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 30, 2011, 04:52 PM
Allstar

I understand aswell, If you dont like BF thats cool, I dont like arma or That other game you have thier.

ANd BF3 will be epic even if you dont buy it, :)
Old March 30, 2011, 05:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
I am not talking about the graphics, and my rig specs are listed at the top right of my posts.
I am talking about the gameplay, the AI.. This is the twenty-tens, can you do something as simple as suppress the enemy with fire? Not in BC2's sp, they just stand there. Can they shoot you in the face and kill you from even 300m with only a few rounds? HawNo, unless they have a sniper rifle. Are there too many drama setpieces? YES.

Ghost Recon&ARMA.
FTW.

*Edit
The thing about Battlefield, is that it is supposed to be this big epic battlefield with a bunch of faceless soldiers. At least that is what I expect from it. Once you start adding a "hero" and turning it into a movie it all goes to shit.
We saw this with Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six, at first it was "Ok, so there are badguys here, here and here, you need to blow this up over there.. and go get this dude, his plane crashed and we like him. Do these in any order you want and however you like. Also, here are a bunch of random people for you to poke though and figure a team from and chose weapons and stuff."
But then when advanced warfighter (and later rainbow games) came along they had a hero and it was just a non-stop fully linear rollercoaster of popup badguys and drama.
To be fair, doing custom coop missions in GRAW is still fun, and R6 Vegas can also be fun doing coop mission or terroristhunt with friends.

At least with ARMA, while there is a hero, the missions are not linear corridors of popup baddies. It has maaaaaaaassive environments for you to play in and attack a situation how you like.
Dude, it's still going to have badass multiplayer, they just wanted to add a singple player campaign aspect to it which looks pretty badass to me compared to COD crap. I thought both Bad Company's SP was fine, even the first Bad Company kind of played like multiplayer. Both R6:Vegas stories were shit and GRAW, I dont even play because thats how good it is. Let's not mention ARMA
Old March 30, 2011, 05:06 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Cod and by the looks of what I saw are blockbuster games...not meant to be simulations of war..face it the game companies are running a business they aren't meant to show reality hell if they were the game play would be a minimum of 6 months ( average deployment for a Canadian soldier ) and that still wouldn't tell the whole story .....
Old March 30, 2011, 05:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I _never_ said vegas or graw had a good stories. I said the gameplay of original Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six was better because it was not a stinkin movie. you had freedom. There was no hero, or set pieces.
The custom maps for GRAW1&2 are, as I recall, a bit more open than the SP wrt letting you take the path you want. Not always of course, but many are. It is just too bad GRAW has a hero and cut back on freedom.

And I in previous posts was not even talking about the quality of the story. In fact, when did I ever say the story was bad? Sure, I said "drama set pieces" but that is not quiite the same, since the rest can still be good or bad. You can have a good story both with and without drama set pieces.
Old March 30, 2011, 05:40 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
It... looks like the SP of BC2 and the CoD games.. *shrug*

Ghost Recon FTW!

You my man are a serious minority

I respect your taste as it's yours and that's fine, but this game is a great accomplishment for DICE and in general. CoD does not look anywhere near as good as this in terms of lighting/sound/artwork/animation.

Have you seen any interviews with DICE on youtube and realised the lengths they have gone to in order to add realism to this game? (of course all games have an element of exaggeration) but they are definitely doing a better job than any others. Hell they even attend live fire military exercises and record real time sounds from up to 50+ individual distances to bring us accurate sound projection, isntead of using the same regurgitated pre recorded sounds like most companies.

The videos we are being shown are dramatic single player teasers aimed at capturing the attention of everyone (yes even those little 13 yr old CoD babies) so they are always going to look "American heroish" at times, as every young boy wants to be a hero.

Multiplayer i assure you will be where the realism comes in, just like B2 this will be the best large scale multiplayer game to date, and you will have all the freedom you like to run around and be shot at by real guys like me at home.

I am not having a go at you at all i respect your opinion but this is just mine
Old March 30, 2011, 06:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpd1983 View Post
I am not having a go at you at all i respect your opinion but this is just mine
Nor am I having a go at you with this post.
Quote:
You my man are a serious minority
It would seem so. It is very disappointing. :/
Quote:
I respect your taste as it's yours and that's fine, but this game is a great accomplishment for DICE and in general. CoD does not look anywhere near as good as this in terms of lighting/sound/artwork/animation.
If those were what I really and truly cared about, I must say that I certainly would not be playing Ghost Recon or ARMA. :P
I guess instead of "looks" I should have said it was giving me CoD vibes?
Quote:
Have you seen any interviews with DICE on youtube and realised the lengths they have gone to in order to add realism to this game? (of course all games have an element of exaggeration) but they are definitely doing a better job than any others. Hell they even attend live fire military exercises and record real time sounds from up to 50+ individual distances to bring us accurate sound projection, isntead of using the same regurgitated pre recorded sounds like most companies.
Doing such things is good, and I am not going to take issue with that. But no, I have not seen this stuff on youtube because I try to avoid youtube usage and similar for other reasons.
Either way, BF3 will likely not unseat my opinion on ARMA.
Now, I realize that Ghost Recon lacks decent bullet handling, but the original is ten years old, the bullets are very lethal in orig and even the newer ones, the AI is a really good shot even in the newer ones(generally), and the missions are not at all linear(but slightly less so in the newer ones) You have little health(compared to what bullets do to you), there is no health regen, there is no revive. So it is redeemed by other factors that many other games seem to be lacking in. (though ARMA does have corpsmen and healthpacks/tents, but patching up an incapped(but not yet dead) guy takes a loong time so you have to drag him somewhere safe first...and he is still buggered up after that.)

I have an original Rainbow Six disc mere feet away from where I sit, but I got into that less because CQB is not really my thing. I can say that I recall the AI in the orig R6 feeling much more deadly than in the R6 Vegas games. Though of course in vegas not only do you *seemingly* have more health but you also have regenerative health and cover that you can see around.. It is still a fun game to play with friends, but not something I want to do constantly. It is also kinda fun to use a pistol for as much of the mission/T-hunt as you possibly can.

SWAT4 was kinda fun, but I still kinda meh on the CQB.
Quote:
The videos we are being shown are dramatic single player teasers aimed at capturing the attention of everyone (yes even those little 13 yr old CoD babies) so they are always going to look "American heroish" at times, as every young boy wants to be a hero.
I might take this farther and say they are trying to convert CoD fans before the next CoD game is hyped up. They do not need to convert the existing BF veterans who are just dying to get another BF2 already.
Quote:
Multiplayer i assure you will be where the realism comes in, just like B2 this will be the best large scale multiplayer game to date, and you will have all the freedom you like to run around and be shot at by real guys like me at home.
I am sure the multi will be well loved by many(I was intending on buying BF3 even), but sometimes I want to do some COOP comp stomp with a couple buddies and have essentially one-hit-kills for both us and the AI. Also being able to progress at whatever speed we please is nice.
Old March 30, 2011, 07:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm just trying to use the games you mentioned as comparison but back when I was playing Rainbow Six: Ravenshield the SP was absolutely horrible, I hated it. Sure it was just a big map and you could choose which way to go, but most of the time there were really only a couple of ways to go. Also, that's really all it was, a big map filled with dumby AI. I absolutely LOVED Ravenshield multiplayer though. I even recall the first Ghost Recon being pretty linear or similar to that of Rainbow Six but I havent played it since around it came out and that was on playstation or some sort of console. I don't mind following a path as long its not doom-style corridors and that's how BC2 SP was, you followed a path but there were always a bunch of places to take cover like different buildings and there were ways to flank the enemy.

If you wanna talk about multiplayer then I agree with you in the fact that BC2 (and BC1 I guess) multiplayer is alot more based on choke points and tighter spaces (except maybe for Heavy Metal!). I'm pretty sure they are going back to the huge BF2 style maps where you can sit back from the fighting, maybe sneak around the back or something, or even go head on into the fight.

I notice you mentioning the AI up there alot (you post wasn't there when i bit submit on my post). I really do not think AI is better in those games at all. If all you want is you to do more easily from their bullets? Well not much you can do unless you can change some game files to increase damage. All i know is I don't buy FPS for the story or single player these days, although maybe bots with friends might be fun. I'm pretty sure they said they aren't doing bots though.

Last edited by headsh0t; March 30, 2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old March 30, 2011, 07:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
back when I was playing Rainbow Six: Ravenshield the SP was absolutely horrible, I hated it.
I have never played raven shield, so cannot comment on it. I have actually only played the very first R6, the demo of rouge spear, and the very last, vegas 2. I would have played more, but, CQB.
Quote:
I even recall the first Ghost Recon being pretty linear
There are a couple missions that were kinda linear but the rest in the original game and the two expansions Desert Siege and Island Thunder were pretty open.
Quote:
but I havent played it since around it came out and that was on playstation or some sort of console.
Ghost Recon 2 was console-only..but I cannot remember /what/ console. Original Ghost Recon got ported to xbox, but I have never played a GR or R6 title on a console. PC/Mac only.
There was going to be a PC Ghost Recon 2 but it got canned for some reason. :/
Old April 16, 2011, 04:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Fffffuuuu can someone post that properly? I'm on vacation and on my phone, can't get it.
Old April 16, 2011, 04:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I assume you were referring to the 12 minute long video?

YouTube - Battlefield 3 - Full Length "Fault Line" Gameplay Trailer
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...