Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 20, 2011, 11:34 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Direct 2 Drive Starting to do Game Rentals?

Wow, i just was poking around on D2D and right on their main screen they have rentals on there. When did they start this? Its a great idea. $5 for 5 hours of full game play. I dunno about you but quite often i dont play most games much more than that amount of time anyways. And if you do, and you like it, you can buy the game and get 5$ off the game price. I think this is one of the best ideas i have seen in a while.

Far as i can tell there is only 3 games up as rentals, but i am assuming this is going to be expanded upon. It will be great for those games you kinda want to play but are on the fence about buying at full price till you try it out.

Not to mention D2D is offering 15% off all game purchases if you are a fileplanet subscriber now. and that discount adds with any sales discount as well. D2D is really trying to make a mark. Differentiate themselves from their competitors (steam/impulse/gog/gamersgate)

Old January 20, 2011, 11:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

That is interesting, PC game rentals. For most games I am going to want to own them so I can play them down the road but for a trial or for games that arent worth more than 5 hours it could be very interesting and tempting. First 3 are a little disappointing, own Grid, other 2 just not interested in.

HOWEVER, you can buy Grid on Steam for 5$ quite regularly so not quite sure how this is really going to catch on. Will be keeping an eye out for more details and games on this.