Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19, 2011, 06:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Modders Create World of Starcraft

Currently in alpha, wonder if this will get off the ground, if blizz will make him stop to absorb him and use it towards an eventually World of Starcraft whenever WoW dries up.

Modders create World of StarCraft, pre-alpha trailer inside - TechSpot News
Old January 19, 2011, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Activision did step in and cut it off and then... Relic hired him! Might we be seeing World of Warhammer? :P

World of StarCraft modder shut down, pleads for Blizzard approval

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 19, 2011, 07:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I do not play World of Warcraft, but I sure as hell would play World of Starcraft because I love the SC universe so much. I've always thought about what a WoS would be like (haven't we all) and if it would even work. That is crazy that they are able to do something like this on the Starcraft II editor, although I did see an early development of a map that looks like how they've done it here so I knew it was possible for sure. As if Actiblizzard wants this taken down. I mean it's just a map made with THEIR editor.
Old January 20, 2011, 07:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

I have to wonder if he didn't name it World of Starcraft, but something completely different, if he would have received the cease and desist.
Old January 20, 2011, 10:31 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

It was directly related to the name apparently (Riot Games Contacts World of Starcraft Creator :: ZAM)

And all this attention has this fellow getting job offers and development proposals from all over the place, including RIOT games. Man, it really is incredibly the power of the internet. You can literally go from being a simple enthusiast to a worldwide sensation overnight.

GameSpy: World of Starcraft Creator Receives Job Offer - Page 1

Looks like World of Starcraft (TM) will become real in the flesh, just not under Blizzards hand... which is good because then people won't be bled dry to play it
Old January 20, 2011, 10:58 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Reading from his email... this guy sounds more a good project manager then then creative type. Not hesitating to be honest about following tutorials and naming all the people he got help from and how he did it.

He just happened to place all the right pieces of a puzzle together to give it a unique and "authentic" look.