Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 20, 2007, 05:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default FiringSquad Previews S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl

"It’s a game that has been in the public spotlight for six years with seemingly endless previews, interviews and features since its initial announcement by developer GSC GameWorld when it was first called S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Oblivion Lost. Now we are only a month or so away from S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl shipping to stores via publisher THQ. Recently the publisher sent over a beta build of the post-apocalyptic first person shooter for us to get a hands-on look at the game.

For the last time we will give a summary of the game’s storyline and setting.. S.T.A.L.K.E.R takes place around the infamous Chernobyl nuclear reactor in the Ukraine that in real life exploded in 1986, releasing a massive amount of radiation. The initial explosion killed only a few but the lingering effects of the radiation release may affect tens of thousands of people, maybe millions. The game’s fictional universe postulates a second explosion at Chernobyl over 20 years later. This time the radiation release has caused more than just deaths and possible cancer effects. It has also created mutated creatures of all shapes and sizes and has even turned ordinary artifacts into items that might be of considerable value.

screenshot1
screenshot2

Your player character is a “stalker”, a kind of scavenger who is trying to find anything that might be of value inside the affected zone. As the game begins, your character has the tried-and-true gameplay plot device of amnesia. His only memory is that he is on a mission to take out a fellow stalker."

More from Firing Squad
Old March 28, 2007, 03:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Here's a review from driverheaven.

Gaming Heaven: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow Of Chernobyl
Old March 28, 2007, 04:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

looks quite fun

PS: Babr... Your screenshots links aren't working! I know... i know...
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
- Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
- Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
- CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14
Old March 28, 2007, 07:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Haha- glad someone is paying attention..