Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 16, 2010, 10:38 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default RTS + FPS = ???

Nuclear Dawn on Steam

Looks like a interesting concept actually.
Old December 16, 2010, 11:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Raven Squad
Battleswarm

I'm sure there have been others too. None have really taken off or been all that good yet. But there's always hope that one will be. Keep an eye on it. ;-)

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old December 16, 2010, 11:37 PM
Allstar

natural selection 1, 2
battle for newerth

been done before. NS was pretty well done. You can try the first as a HL1 mod. 2 is coming out soon on the source engine. You can prepurchase now and get in on the beta testing
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old December 16, 2010, 11:54 PM

I've always thought this concept is interesting, but while I was reading this I came up with a way to make it work better...

GAME DEVELOPERS! HERE'S AND IDEA FREE OF CHARGE: A purely multiplayer coop game rather than a single player experience. It'd be a limited audience, but think of it kinda like the hero concept in WC3. Each team has a overlord (RTS) player who spawns/controls AI units, builds the base, economy, etc, and a single (or multiple depending on team size) "hero" unit that is actually a teammate playing in FPS mode on the battlefield. Instead of being purely "dice" based combat like WC3, it would have to be physics based combat like Supreme Commander.

So the idea is that a truly legendary hero would be able to cause huge headaches for the enemy RTS player as a scout/spy or dispatch large numbers of swarm type enemies (once again back to a Supreme Commander style approach with large unit counts) in major encounters unless an enemy hero is there to check him.

It would rely on excellent teamwork/communication, a very advanced game engine, and a very dedicated game developer/publisher to actually pull this off and market it in a way that it could sell a meaningful number of copies.

I'm just so tired of the same old console port crap when the PC platform is capable of so much more these days. I don't care how tessellated that spaceship is. Give me some kind of revolutionary advance in gameplay and I'll play on the Quake 3 engine if I have to. I don't think I'm alone. I mean, look at minecraft... People sure aren't playing it for the visuals.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old December 17, 2010, 07:51 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

This game looks very much like a mod for killing floor but a tad more advanced on the RTS side.

Personally I wanna see some epic scale games. I remember when Zelda: Ocarina of Time came out, that was like a 70 hour long game on a 512mb cartridge, with amazing gameplay and story. When can us gamers expect epicly long games that have been thought out again?
Old December 17, 2010, 08:46 AM
Allstar

Could this sound like a form a FPS DotA game, Linus?

Old December 18, 2010, 11:43 AM

Almost, tim. Have you ever played Supreme Commander? I'm thinking the real players play the role of the commanders, and the swarm is actually controlled by a real RTS player as well. Similar to DoTA but with other RTS elements like a base, unit production and control, etc.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old December 18, 2010, 12:13 PM
MVP

Those damn Real Time Shoters... ND looks neat tho, reminds me of fallout...

17" Macbook Pro - Stock
15" Macbook Pro Retina - Stock
13" Macbook Air - Stock
Old December 18, 2010, 10:00 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Almost, tim. Have you ever played Supreme Commander? I'm thinking the real players play the role of the commanders, and the swarm is actually controlled by a real RTS player as well. Similar to DoTA but with other RTS elements like a base, unit production and control, etc.
I'd pay for it. What i like is that the concept may be applied in many genres : sci-fi, fantasy, historic or realistic warfare.

Old December 20, 2010, 09:37 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
I'd pay for it. What i like is that the concept may be applied in many genres : sci-fi, fantasy, historic or realistic warfare.
Mount & Blade does that, though the RTS side of it is pretty light. You control your hero, and can give basic orders to the rest of your units in-game.