Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 10, 2014, 04:26 AM
Top Prospect

Hah, could be, I just figured it was obsessive. I still remember trying to have the frigging languages reach 100. I still miss jumping into town.
Old April 11, 2014, 10:21 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Ouch. Even with an overclocked GTX 780 Seasons of Skyrim ENB dips into the 30fps range from time to time (at 1920X1200) with busy areas averaging 45fps (no DOF). ENB certainly could use some optimization. Maybe I'll try Nvidia driver SSAO instead of ENB SSAO...
Old April 11, 2014, 08:03 PM

My System Specs

Skyrim is heavily CPU bottlenecked when modded.
Old April 12, 2014, 06:49 PM
Top Prospect

I'm guessing that cpu bottleneck specific to certain mods, though I can only question the intelligence of Bethesda developers when I see that the game is self-destructing while stuck in some unoptimized code. I would understand the need for more gpu performance with high-resolution textures, but I don't see any reason for modified models and such to require any additional cpu cycles (besides bad coding).

One of my biggest gripes with having paid $30 for this mess of a game is that it was not made with performance in mind, but only optimized specifically for xbox and ps3. For instance, I had given this game the privilege of residing on my ssd because of the large texture files. I found it took just as long to load from the ssd as it did from the hdd; the ssd activity indicator was very low while loading, whereas the hdd activity indicator would light up more while loading. I reiterate, it takes the same amount of time to load from hdd and from ssd.
Old April 12, 2014, 07:48 PM

My System Specs

I could have paid $200 for Skyrim and it would still have provided me more hours of entertainment per dollar than any other game I have bought. Well maybe besides TES1, TES2, TES2, and TES4 .

It isnt the textures that are the burden. It is the high number of ojects on screen. So when outside and there are a large number of objects on screen it is a very large burden on just a single core. Cant really say it is bad coding as most games still don't benefit from more cores.

As for load times, they should be nearly non existent. At least that has been my experience. If I fast travelled somewhere there was not more than a 2 to 5 second load screen when running off my SSD.
Old April 12, 2014, 09:04 PM
MVP

"mess of a game" Unreal.

[edit: not a reference to the series of games and engines called unreal]