Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 14, 2013, 07:32 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Just started playing this again and have 144 Mods running stable and it's amazing how different the game feels since the last time I played. I stayed away from drastic changes and mods that turn this into a JRPG or Anime. Just stuck with stuff that seemed to 'fit' what I thought Skyrim should be.

It's remarkable how much better the game can look than as Vanilla as well. I haven't even started really tinkering with ENB patches yet and it's already gorgeous. Now I just need to explore some of that new DLC content!
Old August 15, 2013, 04:01 AM
Allstar

Wow that's alot of mods. I'm hoping to get Dragonborn soon too, and get back into it. Do you just use the Workshop or the Nexus mod manager?
Old August 15, 2013, 07:33 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I'm using NMM. I don't really like the workshop's layout and find NMM's interface a lot easier. Right now I start with NMM, install five or so at a time, run BOSS, clean with TESVEdit as necessary, then run Wrye Bash and rebuild the Bashed patch. It's made everything run pretty well and I've had only minor issues a couple times.

Right now getting ENBs to run without turning shadows blocky or ugly is my biggest problem.
Old March 6, 2014, 10:02 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Ouch. Well I was slow to get Skyrim and now I'm finding ENB's absolutely kill the game (but look so good).
From 60fps in Vanilla to 30fps in a 'zero percent' loss ENB. Heck I tried a performance version of a new ENB and 20fps seems average.

I guess my 6950 is just too slow. I don't even have it that heavily modded (though I certainly want to).
Anyone with any experience on what makes a good replacement card for ENB's? 3gb ram, 4gb?
Old March 7, 2014, 12:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

I managed to hit the mod cap a couple days ago

I'm in the process of getting ready for another proper skyrim run just need to figure out a stability/script issue or 2 and I'll be good. Theres a huge catalog of lore friendly/immersion mods out now and I have to say kudos to the mod community you took a good game and just made it epic.
Old March 7, 2014, 06:48 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I'm mulling over doing a fresh Skyrim run myself. I'm dying for Skywind or Skyblivion to be finished but it'll be a while.

I wish there was a game that was half-way between a Bethesda game and a Bioware game. I think I miss the character development from BW as much as anything in TES, I really liked the Liara romance in the Mass Effect series as an example, but in TES the characters all seem so bland personality wise. Not to mention the 'I have an amulet, let's knock boots' marriage thing. If they gave us say 5 characters with personalities that you could develop over time in Skyrim, I'd have another dozen playthroughs by now.
Old March 9, 2014, 04:00 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I'm wondering how they will manage Skywind. The worldspace for Morrowind was crazy huge and the SkyRim engine chokes now on just an Oblivion sized world. I hear ya on the personality development. The writers for both characters and quests are just not Bioware calibre. Having only a few voice actors do all the voices the same didn't help SkyRim much either.
Old March 9, 2014, 05:55 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntslatko View Post
I'm wondering how they will manage Skywind. The worldspace for Morrowind was crazy huge and the SkyRim engine chokes now on just an Oblivion sized world. I hear ya on the personality development. The writers for both characters and quests are just not Bioware calibre. Having only a few voice actors do all the voices the same didn't help SkyRim much either.
Agreed on the voices. Skyrim at least improved on Oblivion a little bit on that front. A few more unique voiced NPCs and a little more life to the script. I loved oblivion, but damn having every single Imperial sound exactly alike was.... :S
Old March 9, 2014, 06:55 PM
Top Prospect

I probably forgive too much with TES games, I still think of them as a little studio that makes sprawling games, forgetting that they are now a pretty massive studio that makes less sprawling games with un-interesting dungeon maps. The continuity of voice actors across games makes them feel like a comfy old sweater that I can slip into... and I do like to think that every Redguard you encounter is a descendent of Cyrus.
Old March 9, 2014, 10:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You have to be forgiving with TES games or the repetition will drive you bananas, unless you primarily stick to the main quest lines. They're definitely a grind if you're a 100%er.