Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 18, 2011, 03:38 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Flexing = Watch yourself move from 3rd person while wearing armor. Steel/Iron/etc shouldnt Bend like that.

Is it too soon to make a wishlist? I know I might sound like I'm being bitchy, but TBH this game is just a simplified Oblivion for me, with less gameplay depth (classes, character stats, etc).

Why can't we have destructible terrain? A sword hit a tree and does nothing? Mage lights it on a fire and the fire disappears after seconds without any trace? Cmon.... THESE are the thing that should be ADDED to a modern RPG. Instead, Beth takes things away and calls it a more "open experience". Bah.

Dont know about you guys, but I've played many an RPG and there have been a few rules you just don't ignore. The most obvious was always "Armor + Magic = Not effective at all". That's changed apparently.

No classes/rules means a guy can sneak in full plate? A mage can wear heavy armor, plus buffs, and still cast with 100% effectiveness? Some things just don't make sense.

Yes, I really like this game - but it could have been of so much more....

Waiting eagerly for Elder Scrolls VI : <Insert as-yet unused plot country>

EDIT:

PS: MAGICKA (the cheap steam game) handles magic far better, phyisics too. lol...

Last edited by CMetaphor; December 18, 2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old December 18, 2011, 03:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The Escapist : Video Galleries : Zero Punctuation : The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Old December 20, 2011, 01:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just seen the funniest thing ( I have forgotten how to insert videos from yoUtube)
Skyrim - Bone Dragon Glitch - YouTube
Old December 20, 2011, 02:45 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

ROFL = I'll never forget you floating ground lady.
Old December 20, 2011, 05:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Skyrim is now 4GB aware.

Skyrim Update 1.3 now on Steam (Updated) | Bethesda Blog

Old December 20, 2011, 06:47 PM

My System Specs

Does the game actually require that much ram?
Old December 20, 2011, 07:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well it is generally fine if you leave it at vanilla settings. But as soon as you start adding some of the mods that increase the texture size it can make a huge difference. Now that said it doesn't use a full 4GB, I know mine is using about 1.4-1.5GB of RAM and then about 1492MB on each of my 580s.

If I don't use the 4GB patch (or previous mod) I would run into texture issues and frequent QTD, but I get none of that with it being 4GB aware.

Edit: Forgot to mention, before the patch it would never get over 900MB of ram, at least on my system.

Old December 22, 2011, 07:30 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

In case anyone hasn't heard yet, there is a new mod out that dramatically increases performance: [REL] TESV Acceleration Layer - Bethesda Softworks Forums

Here is what the mod author says about how it works:
Quote:
This patch will improve your frame rate by up to 40% in all CPU-dependent situations, i.e. especially in cities.
It works mostly by rewriting some x87 FPU code and inlining a whole ton of useless getter functions along the critical paths because the developers at Bethesda, for some reason, compiled the game without using any of the optimization flags for release builds.
Old December 23, 2011, 02:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

Yes the 4GB fix is desperately needed. Before I started using the hack/patch I was constantly loosing textures and crashing. Now, well now seemless on both fronts. It was desperately needed officially.

And wow. that performance mod on paper at least havent tried it, looks more than anything else embarrassing for bethesda and I am liking how active the modding community has been even before the creation kit has been released. I expect nukes to start going off when it does come now.
Old December 23, 2011, 08:16 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Flexing = Watch yourself move from 3rd person while wearing armor. Steel/Iron/etc shouldnt Bend like that.

Is it too soon to make a wishlist? I know I might sound like I'm being bitchy, but TBH this game is just a simplified Oblivion for me, with less gameplay depth (classes, character stats, etc).

Why can't we have destructible terrain? A sword hit a tree and does nothing? Mage lights it on a fire and the fire disappears after seconds without any trace? Cmon.... THESE are the thing that should be ADDED to a modern RPG. Instead, Beth takes things away and calls it a more "open experience". Bah.

Dont know about you guys, but I've played many an RPG and there have been a few rules you just don't ignore. The most obvious was always "Armor + Magic = Not effective at all". That's changed apparently.

No classes/rules means a guy can sneak in full plate? A mage can wear heavy armor, plus buffs, and still cast with 100% effectiveness? Some things just don't make sense.

Yes, I really like this game - but it could have been of so much more....

Waiting eagerly for Elder Scrolls VI : <Insert as-yet unused plot country>

EDIT:

PS: MAGICKA (the cheap steam game) handles magic far better, phyisics too. lol...
Have you thought about what you are saying yet? Like, seriously sat down and gone "Wait, why am I asking for magic, and dragons to 'make sense'?"

The beautiful thing about crafting your own world is that you can make it act in whatever way you like! So magic has mainly been for robe wearers in the past? Well, now it's not just for them. Also, in pretty much all standard pen and paper RPG's there's always been an armor wearing NPC/PC. It's possible, just not to the same strength due to how magic was performed in those worlds.

Destructible terrain? I'm just glad they released the game! The engine isn't ready to even handle a game of this size, let alone adding in physical alterations to the world map. Remember this map isn't as small as the maps in BF3(those are stupidly tiny compared to anything previously from BF), and they continue close to 100 times the detail.

Classes and stats don't make "gameplay depth", they USED to make up for a LACK of game play. Now a days they just serve as a fluffer. Would you rather tinker with numbers than actually go out and explore? If so, become a coder and give up gaming.

Magika is a game with linear progression, and one simple tool at it's disposal. It's also significantly shorter, and in no way can be compared to a TES game. You can do a lot differently when you only have ONE path to travel, and only one tiny area on screen to worry about. Completely different beasts.

I know I'm tearing into you here, but your argument was pretty blind. A lot has been accomplished in this game, and there's a LOT of room for improvements. I was leery about the class changes myself, but I've come to realize that class, doesn't matter. Specializing as you "grow" with your character is much more rewarding, and can almost be considered realistic in a sense. It gives you the chance to shape your character with few limitations of direction. If YOU want to play a sneak, it's up to YOU to play how you want it to be. Is there room for improvement? Of course!