Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 1, 2011, 10:55 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Law cracks down on digital piracy in Canada - The Globe and Mail

It's going to be not legal soon, but at this moment, yes it is.
Old December 1, 2011, 10:59 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
You are aware that certain copywright laws, Canadians can actually be prosecuted in the states for breaking them. I think DRM falls under one of those categories
Yup, I'd also like to see the case that they'd have against me for legally purchasing a game and using a "no-cd" crack to get it to work properly.

Did you also know that with the current draconian DRM scheme, modding your game is technically illegal?
Old December 1, 2011, 11:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

IANAL, and no, I dont have a reference, but I would guess that the DMCA applies 'in canada' if you're accessing information that is -in- the USA, then yes, there are grounds to prosecute you in the united states, they'd have to extradite you, wouldnt they? I havn't heard of anyone being put to trial in Canada for DMCA issues in the news...

Anyways, we're getting off topic. Even if it is technically legal (according to your arguments) to talk about no-cd cracks etc, this isnt the Canadian public, and the mods have the right to decide was is and isnt okay to talk about.

Back to our regular news cast.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 1, 2011, 11:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inate8 View Post
Yup, I'd also like to see the case that they'd have against me for legally purchasing a game and using a "no-cd" crack to get it to work properly.

Did you also know that with the current draconian DRM scheme, modding your game is technically illegal?
that is true which makes no sense since you have bought the game , you should be abler to do with it what ever you want just as long as you do not give or sell it to others.
When I used to play Diablo 2 LOD I used the D2loader so that I didn't have to have my cd inside the cdtray all of the time, well my cd key got banned. later on there where others that had the same thing happen but others did not and had no issues .
something like a nocd crack should be alloud especially if you own the game.
a little off topic
how would they know what you are downloading ? I download allot of Linux distros and other open source software does this mean that they are going to put listening devices to grab the ip address's of every single person that is downloading files larger then say 100mb?
Old December 1, 2011, 11:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
IANAL, and no, I dont have a reference, but I would guess that the DMCA applies 'in canada' if you're accessing information that is -in- the USA, then yes, there are grounds to prosecute you in the united states, they'd have to extradite you, wouldnt they? I havn't heard of anyone being put to trial in Canada for DMCA issues in the news...

Anyways, we're getting off topic. Even if it is technically legal (according to your arguments) to talk about no-cd cracks etc, this isnt the Canadian public, and the mods have the right to decide was is and isnt okay to talk about.

Back to our regular news cast.
Where do you think you're buying all your games from for the most part really? They are from American Companies and are situated in the states. Steam, Origin, D2D, all american, meaning we're kinda stuck with some of their DMCA laws for the products we buy from them.
Old December 1, 2011, 11:32 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

All the crack stuff aside... beware of this patch. I've read that it will disable your elemental resistances which means quick death.
Old December 1, 2011, 12:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, there are people reporting a lot of issues with this patch.
Check out the Bethesda forums...

Skyrim Hardware and Software Issues Subforums - Bethesda Softworks Forums

I'm still running a tweaked copy of the original and will continue to do so for now.

*edit*

There's apparently a fix for the resistance bug...

New Skyrim Mod fix "No Resistance Bug"

Also, there's finally official word from Bethesda about what they're working on...

Skyrim -- what we're working on - Bethesda Softworks Forums

Last edited by somecanadianguy; December 1, 2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old December 1, 2011, 01:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
this isnt the Canadian public, and the admins have the right to decide was is and isnt okay to talk about.
Fixed.

I don't make the rules, I just help enforce them. While I didn't hand out warnings or infractions for the earlier posts discussing pirate groups and cracks, I'm damn tempted to for those of you who continued to discuss it after I asked you not to.

We are all guests in Gav's house. Please respect the house rules.
Old December 1, 2011, 03:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For those with Xfire issues just use Radeonpro and select Oblivion for a xfire profile, working fine on my 6970's

I agree game could look a whole lot better but once you mod it abit it gets much better.

So far sitting at level25 as a Necro, smithing and enchanting are the first things I leveled up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old December 1, 2011, 03:30 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by somecanadianguy View Post
Yeah, there are people reporting a lot of issues with this patch.
Check out the Bethesda forums...

Skyrim Hardware and Software Issues Subforums - Bethesda Softworks Forums

I'm still running a tweaked copy of the original and will continue to do so for now.

*edit*

There's apparently a fix for the resistance bug...

New Skyrim Mod fix "No Resistance Bug"

Also, there's finally official word from Bethesda about what they're working on...

Skyrim -- what we're working on - Bethesda Softworks Forums
Thanks for the info canadianguy. I'm going to avoid this patch as welll.
This kinda stuff just screams "quick and dirty" to me and since I don't have any game-breaker issues I'll stick with it as is until proper work is done.