Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #311 (permalink)  
Old November 28, 2011, 05:15 PM
Sagath's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Petawawa, ON
Posts: 2,557

My System Specs

Default

Although my point may have missed the mark, or skipped over some of your heads, I was trying to get at the fact that this game should have been released with proper current generation graphics. Dumbed down console-to-pc ports are not acceptable in my opinion regardless of the trends. Sorry for the confusion.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever View Post
AKG shot the hamsters, and then Perineum drove his Mustang with summer tires into the server.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Reply With Quote
  #312 (permalink)  
Old November 28, 2011, 06:02 PM
ipaine's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 2,080

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Although my point may have missed the mark, or skipped over some of your heads, I was trying to get at the fact that this game should have been released with proper current generation graphics. Dumbed down console-to-pc ports are not acceptable in my opinion regardless of the trends. Sorry for the confusion.

That is exactly how I feel. Imagine how this could be with current generation graphics. I know that the chances are low, but I for one would really love to see a DX11 patch.
__________________
"Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong."


Reply With Quote
  #313 (permalink)  
Old November 28, 2011, 06:14 PM
Arinoth's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 8,602

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
This isn't the same Gamebryo engine as was used in Morrowind and Oblivion.

I am sure once we start seeing good high resolution textures from the modding community it will pretty snazzy.
The thing is, this should be available from Bethesda, not requiring third party to make the game look how it should have when it launched for pc. That's my biggest gripe with the game, is the fact the graphics may look good, but its not current gen PC graphics when it should be.
Reply With Quote
  #314 (permalink)  
Old November 28, 2011, 06:29 PM
MVP
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 480
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Although my point may have missed the mark, or skipped over some of your heads, I was trying to get at the fact that this game should have been released with proper current generation graphics. Dumbed down console-to-pc ports are not acceptable in my opinion regardless of the trends. Sorry for the confusion.
I don't think it's fair to even call it a port. The PC version looks half a generation ahead of the console versions and appears to be relatively well-optimized. I believe its appearance is biased towards faster systems while remaining playable on mainstream hardware. When I say faster systems, I don't mean on enthusiast sites like this. The true average PC gamer may still on a C2D because the economy has sucked for three years.

I've been a PC gamer on and off for over 20 years, and as far as I can remember, this has usually been the case. Not many games of its time properly supported the 80386.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
The thing is, this should be available from Bethesda, not requiring third party to make the game look how it should have when it launched for pc. That's my biggest gripe with the game, is the fact the graphics may look good, but its not current gen PC graphics when it should be.
Content costs a lot to create, deliver, test and support. Based on Steam stats, it seems the content was right-sized to the hardware most gamers are using. If anything, it's probably a bit slow for most PC gamers. On my i7 920/GTX 460, I have absolutely no desire to improve the appearance of the game at the cost of performance.

Last edited by Desiato; November 28, 2011 at 06:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #315 (permalink)  
Old November 28, 2011, 06:31 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St. John's , NL
Posts: 31

My System Specs

Default PC version

I agree the pc version is head over heels better than the console ports.
Reply With Quote
  #316 (permalink)  
Old November 29, 2011, 05:57 AM
Allstar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Acton, Ont
Posts: 878
Default

I still want a DX11 Patch. This would be GOTY for if it was patched.
Reply With Quote
  #317 (permalink)  
Old November 29, 2011, 11:34 AM
somecanadianguy's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: somecanadiancity
Posts: 1,118

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromey View Post
I still want a DX11 Patch. This would be GOTY for if it was patched.
I can wait for a DX11 patch... my current card doesn't support it.

Reply With Quote
  #318 (permalink)  
Old November 30, 2011, 01:16 AM
bradleyg5's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 63
Default

I dunno, with the Shadows cranked up in the preference file I'm already at 45ish FPS with my two OCed GTX 460s. DX11 will just make me sad :(
Reply With Quote
  #319 (permalink)  
Old November 30, 2011, 07:47 AM
Jebusman's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 358

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyg5 View Post
I dunno, with the Shadows cranked up in the preference file I'm already at 45ish FPS with my two OCed GTX 460s. DX11 will just make me sad :(
Metro 2033 DX11 mode makes my computer physically bleed. I think Skyrim will be heaven compared to that.
Reply With Quote
  #320 (permalink)  
Old November 30, 2011, 10:25 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kelowna, BC
Posts: 159

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Although my point may have missed the mark, or skipped over some of your heads, I was trying to get at the fact that this game should have been released with proper current generation graphics. Dumbed down console-to-pc ports are not acceptable in my opinion regardless of the trends. Sorry for the confusion.
It's not a trend. Making money has been something that people like to do since the dawn of currency in society. That's not going anywhere.

Right now the reality of the matter is that releasing a complete product on the 360 alone is more profitable than doing so on the PC alone.

I agree, I wish it had some better gfx at times. You know what though, the game's art and general design is ******* beautiful. If you stare at a spot you'll notice the low res textures soon enough, but if you move slowly through the world you'll soon forget specific textures and take everything in as a whole.

Not saying I disagree with you, but I understand these companies need to make money as well. Without money we don't get any new fun things to do.

I personally love the direction that Beth is going with their games now. Skyrim is leaps and bounds ahead of the past iterations of their vision. I can't wait to see the next game.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes