Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 17, 2011, 11:24 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

The game seems fun so far but the menu navigation is not that good...

And the thing that pisses me off the most is the arrow drop mechanism, it's atrocious. It seems to adjust the aim automatically with the distance and I'm not even sure to continue playing the game until this is fixed/changed o_O
Old November 17, 2011, 12:01 PM
MVP

Yes, it seems to me the drop is compensated for and lands where you have the cursor highlighted, on a stationary target. If you're trying to lead a moving target at distance, better get practicing aiming high ;)
EVGA GTX 580 SSC
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old November 17, 2011, 02:07 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

hm the only issue i have with the game, and it's very minor is that sometimes the dialogue wheel isn't selected on what I want to say.

Menu nav is more or less fine by me, and I'm playing on mouse/keyboard.

This game. so good...just want to go home and play...
Old November 17, 2011, 05:43 PM
MVP

I decided to try the PC version. I hate the interface. I can't think of a worse interface in a PC game off the top of my head. In addition to being awful at a functional level, it is very poor at delivering information.

I searched and found a lot of other people felt this way. I searched more and read this: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim UI inspired by Apple | PC Gamer

Quote:
Bethesda have revealed that Apple’s iTunes interface has been a significant influence on the menu systems in Skyrim. Read on for details.

Speaking to GameInformer, game director Todd Howard says ”You know in iTunes when you look at all your music you get to flip through it and look at the covers and it becomes tangible? One of our goals was ‘What if Apple made a fantasy game? How would this look?’ It’s very good at getting through lots of data quickly, which is always a struggle with our stuff.”
Suddenly, it all made sense. In a nonsensical kind of way.
Old November 17, 2011, 06:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
I decided to try the PC version. I hate the interface. I can't think of a worse interface in a PC game off the top of my head. In addition to being awful at a functional level, it is very poor at delivering information.

I searched and found a lot of other people felt this way. I searched more and read this: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim UI inspired by Apple | PC Gamer

Suddenly, it all made sense. In a nonsensical kind of way.

Wait so you are saying that Apple went and screwed up even more stuff for me? Look I really like the game and well have put in a ton of time on it, but that said the UI is crap. I guess that shows how good the rest of the game is, as with a UI this bad, the fact that I still play it is amazing.

Here are a couple articles that really explain the problems:
User Interfarce: Skyrim’s Silly Choices | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

A Child rapist, Hitler, and the Skyrim UI Designer walk into a bar… « Hardcore Casual

Oh one more little annoyance, it seems like this game along with Fallout 3, I can't adjust the volume on my Corsair HS1 headphones. Seriously the volume on the cable stops working in game. So if I want to adjust the volume I have to alt-tab out adjust the volume and then alt-tab in. So annoying!

Last edited by ipaine; November 17, 2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old November 17, 2011, 07:05 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Wait so you are saying that Apple went and screwed up even more stuff for me? Look I really like the game and well have put in a ton of time on it, but that said the UI is crap. I guess that shows how good the rest of the game is, as with a UI this bad, the fact that I still play it is amazing.

Here are a couple articles that really explain the problems:
User Interfarce: Skyrim’s Silly Choices | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

A Child rapist, Hitler, and the Skyrim UI Designer walk into a bar… « Hardcore Casual

Oh one more little annoyance, it seems like this game along with Fallout 3, I can't adjust the volume on my Corsair HS1 headphones. Seriously the volume on the cable stops working in game. So if I want to adjust the volume I have to alt-tab out adjust the volume and then alt-tab in. So annoying!
Can't wait until the modding community get a new UI. Still it's really minor the whole game makes up for it.
CPU Intel Core i7 2700K 3.5GHZ
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V
Memory Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II
Sound Card ASUS Xonar DX
Old November 17, 2011, 09:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm sure the modders will give us something good. In the mean time I am still playing the hell out of it and here is a pic showing off my smithing skill.

Full set of Dragonscale armor and shield.

Old November 17, 2011, 11:14 PM
MVP

Well, muscle memory kicked in and I can now tolerate the interface. While not good, it's not as bad as I thought.

The game itself is amazing. (so far, very early into it)
Old November 17, 2011, 11:33 PM
MVP

Ya, I've pretty much gotten used to WASD when dealing with merchants or storing stuff in my place, mouse over each item then using E to take or sell or buy, R to store. I did just hit E and took about seventy four kazillion items out of a chest when meaning to take a single item, but I'm pretty tired lol.
EVGA GTX 580 SSC
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old November 18, 2011, 09:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow how are you people getting so rich I am still poor at level 11 :(