LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 16, 2011, 09:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDeeHobbit View Post
I played this some more last night:
Terrible menu navigation system requres a mix of keystrokes and mouse clicks is a real PITA.

Even worse is the lack of any high-lighting of useable items. Games like this MUST have some kind of indication when you are near an item that you can use and as well a name flating above it is nice so you can determine if you actually want to pick it up or not. There is soooo much crap to pick up in this game and the only way to know if anything is useable is to move right beside it it and put the crosshairs on it. What idiot developer let this happen? I've checked the manual and also looked at a few online guides in an attempt to see if there is any switch I need to toggle to get "item high-light" mode active and I've found nothing. This really bugs me and I'm putting this on the shelf until there is a patch to include high-lighting.
This shouldn't really be a surprise if you've played Oblivion, Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas before...
Old November 17, 2011, 03:23 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
This shouldn't really be a surprise if you've played Oblivion, Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas before...
I did play Oblivion to about 75-80% complete then dropped it because it was too much of a grind without much fun (for me).
I played it when it was new and I don't remember it having a UI problem.
But I do remember I collected a LOT of junk in that game as well (flowers... more freakin' FLOWERS) and I could at least see the flowers in the forest as I was running through because the game had some colour and wasn't all different shades of grey like this game is (so far at least).
When I play an RPG I like to do everything (as much as possible at least) and it just bugs me that it's so freakin' hard to see things.
Others here seem to really like the game though so perhaps I'll try again tonight and try to just ignore the "completionist" aspect of the game...
Old November 17, 2011, 03:41 AM
Top Prospect

Pulled the old Xbox 360 wireless receiver and controller out of the dusty closet(haven't used since getting into F1 2010).

Must say, this game is truly truly shit on the mouse and keyboard. feels perfect on the 360 controller. There are no advantages to playing on the mouse and keyboard, archery seems more solid on the controller, sword duelling actually works, sneaking makes sense, even navigating the menus feels better. Hell I didn't even know you could sprint until I started using the controller. Even the 3rd person view works better.

If you have any means to play on a 360 controller I encourage you to, this game was 100% designed for a 360 controller, I'm surprised they even bothered with the mouse cursor considering how shoddy it is. if you have a wireless controller you can get a windows 360 controller receiver off ebay from china for like 5 bucks.
Old November 17, 2011, 05:24 AM
Allstar

The game is great, Small issues but nothing big.
The graphics... I dont see the issues, I have everything on ultra and think the game is sexy.

I guess we have some VERY picky gamers that expect a game made just for them.

Sorry but this day and age We have to deal with cross platform games.
Old November 17, 2011, 05:42 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDeeHobbit View Post
I did play Oblivion to about 75-80% complete then dropped it because it was too much of a grind without much fun (for me).
I played it when it was new and I don't remember it having a UI problem.
But I do remember I collected a LOT of junk in that game as well (flowers... more freakin' FLOWERS) and I could at least see the flowers in the forest as I was running through because the game had some colour and wasn't all different shades of grey like this game is (so far at least).
When I play an RPG I like to do everything (as much as possible at least) and it just bugs me that it's so freakin' hard to see things.
Others here seem to really like the game though so perhaps I'll try again tonight and try to just ignore the "completionist" aspect of the game...

I'd give it another chance as my play style is a lot like yours. I don't quite remember if I finished Oblivion but I did enjoy the game. I admit I did get a bit bored by the end though. Morrowind I just didn't get into at all and dropped it pretty quick. Skyrim I'm really really liking though. At least so far. IMO it's a much superior game to the other two even with it's flaws.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old November 17, 2011, 05:49 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
I'd give it another chance as my play style is a lot like yours. I don't quite remember if I finished Oblivion but I did enjoy the game. I admit I did get a bit bored by the end though. Morrowind I just didn't get into at all and dropped it pretty quick. Skyrim I'm really really liking though. At least so far. IMO it's a much superior game to the other two even with it's flaws.
Out of Oblivion and Morrowind, I found Morrowind the better game, playing through absolutely everything in that, whereas Oblivion I played through the campaign and that was really it. I'll eventually get to skyrim, got too many games on my plate right now (FEAR 2, Fallout New Vegas, Halo: Anniversary) to get into another time sink game.
Old November 17, 2011, 06:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post

These are my thoughs and plays exactly.

They took all the good from Morrowind and Oblivion, and removed all the bad. I was hesitant when picking it up for all your reasons, but after starting to play it for probably 15 hours over the last two days, I can honestly say it is THAT much better. My wife probably disagrees

Things like running in to a Dungeon for 3 hours, only to get to the end of 'exploring' it, to turn around and run out? Yeah, no more. They took a que from other games, and have side passages leading back to the entrance. I find Skyrim to be way less of a grind the Oblivion was, and the crafting systems actually make you want to use them.

The combat system still is 'meh' in my opinion. I found Witcher 2's combat to be FAR superior, but I expected that going in to this game after playing all the other games on this engine.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old November 17, 2011, 07:12 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Out of Oblivion and Morrowind, I found Morrowind the better game, playing through absolutely everything in that, whereas Oblivion I played through the campaign and that was really it. I'll eventually get to skyrim, got too many games on my plate right now (FEAR 2, Fallout New Vegas, Halo: Anniversary) to get into another time sink game.
:O oh no! the Oblivion Campaign was the absolute worst part of that game. I see why you don't want to play Skyrim. Why are you playing FEAR 2? that game is completely awful in comparison to the first.
Old November 17, 2011, 07:29 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyg5 View Post
:O oh no! the Oblivion Campaign was the absolute worst part of that game. I see why you don't want to play Skyrim. Why are you playing FEAR 2? that game is completely awful in comparison to the first.
Actually, I still don't get all the hoopla for a game that was designed for the consoles then ported over to the PC and raging its an amazing game yet all the flaws people complain about it. I lied, I played Oblivion through twice, again not doing much side quests and found I didn't like the a lot of the game compared to Morrowind. I'm hoping Skyrim may be better in that respect but the complaints people have made (graphics and controls for example) have me putting it in the "maybe in 6-12 months" pile.

I'm going to be playing FEAR2 mainly to continue the story to get to FEAR3. It's installed, but haven't played it yet as it didn't seem to have eyefinity support at the time (and still doesn't). With my switch to 1 monitor gaming it'll be playable to me now.
Old November 17, 2011, 10:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyg5 View Post
Really? I've installed Oblivion three times and every time I've had at least one of the major gameplay mods installed that removes at least some of the linearity. I found Oblivion got highly repetitive. There were only so many cookie-cutter dungeons, Oblivion gates, etc. that I could get through before I uninstalled the game.

Before I play Skyrim I'm going to play Oblivion again but this time without any mods that remove linearity. I'll stick to the graphical mods and top gameplay mods that don't effect linearity.