Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 15, 2011, 03:45 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexitus View Post
The four star menu where i can only use wasd and enter to go into each menu is pretty annoying. Usually I can just use my mouse to highlight and click into it. Now I have to take my hand off my mouse on many occasions just to hit the enter. Its annoying...not game breaking, but very annoying.
I have had no issues with using my mouse for the main menu screens from day one. If you are having trouble my E key is enter so it's literally no different then activating something in the world which we all do ALL the time. Also hot keys like I for inventory and I think B for magic (I reassigned a few of mine for better usage on my stealth merc gamer keyboard).

I'm only on dragon number 4 right now (stupid 55 hours a week at work) but so far I've managed to find 4 word walls and become Archmage! I HIGHLY recommend any magic users do the mages guild ASAP, not giving spoilers but OMG am I freakin strong now that I've done that...
Old November 15, 2011, 04:30 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I downloaded this and gave it a shot last night. If I understand correctly, the '4 star menu' (where you find the map and items, etc) works fine with my mouse.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 15, 2011, 01:34 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I only played a short time.
I don't like the interface at all as there are way to many keys involved for the simplest actions and the mouse overs are also a pain.
One thing I hated about Oblivion was all the gathering. You might not "have" to do it but it's part of the game so I did... sooo many freakin' flowers. This game also has me piking up a lot of junk that I don't know what it's for (other than to vendor t some point fr coin).
I'll try again but I'm less than impressed at this point.
Old November 15, 2011, 01:43 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

There's absolutly 0 needs to focus on flower picking, mining or wood chopping.
Old November 15, 2011, 02:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well flowers can help with making potions and such. Mining can get you various ores and sometimes gems, ore is good for smithing and gems are good for selling or various quests. As for wood chopping, well it really only helps with money but not much.

Now on the interface side I have found that using favorites to be very useful. Just assign your favorite spells, weapons and items by using the F key while looking at them in the items or magic menu. Then all you have to do is hit "Q" during play and you get your tailored list to scroll through. Quite useful.

Old November 15, 2011, 02:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightninstrikr View Post
I'm only on dragon number 4 right now (stupid 55 hours a week at work) but so far I've managed to find 4 word walls and become Archmage! I HIGHLY recommend any magic users do the mages guild ASAP, not giving spoilers but OMG am I freakin strong now that I've done that...
Mages are extremely OP'd and always have been in oblivion. Plus why would I wanna sit there for 3 min clicking my left mouse button to swing an Axe while ending up like a pincusion or popsicle (from archers and mages, respectively) when I can switch spells and do 14 different things in combat as needed?

Game is good. I think Witcher 2 is better, but the world is just so goddamn vast in Oblivion, and nearly as well done. Graphics blow chunks and arnt any better then Oblivion from 6 years ago however.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old November 15, 2011, 05:05 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb View Post
There's absolutly 0 needs to focus on flower picking, mining or wood chopping.
Well, unless you want to do alchemy for potions (not me)

Or craft armours - I've crafted and upgraded my own armour and 2H hammer, the armour is twice as good as anything I've seen drop yet...so there's that. Though the various blacksmiths and shops do sell both ore and metal bars, so you probably don't have to mine.
EVGA GTX 580 SSC
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old November 16, 2011, 05:00 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Well I finally killed my first dragon in the wild (not the one outside the city were you learn you are dragon born). I also got myself a house so I finally have a place to store my stuff. I am trying a very weird combo currently, mage and archery! That's right! I use a bow until the enemy is within range and then I dual hand Spark spell them (think the Emperor in ROTJ). I played a battle mage in Oblivion so this is kind of similar but in the opposite ranges (in Oblivion I would spell attack from a distance and when they got close I would switch to my sword). I am also spending a lot of time travelling and trying to get the major cities on the map so I can fast travel more.
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old November 16, 2011, 07:49 AM
Allstar

Well if everyone wants a good laugh I completely missed the part about the Guardian stones. I was wondering why at level 17 I'm starting to get owned by a lot more creatures and especially magic users haha. Almost tempted to start over but I won't. Unfortunately I only have two shouts right now. Must have bad luck with the quest's I'm taking on. Must having killed at least 5 or 6 dragons though which is a lot of fun.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old November 16, 2011, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just got my hands on Skyrim last night.
As in Oblivion, Morrowind... a couple tweaks to the .ini file makes things look a lot better...

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\SkyrimPrefs.ini (make a copy before editing)

Change the following to 1:
bTreesReceiveShadows=0
bDrawLandShadows=0

There's lots to mess with in that file, but those two have a noticible impact on the visuals.

Also, if you have an nvidia card you can enable AO with nvidia inspector.

Ambient Occlusion Compatibility - default "0x0000000", change to "0x00000003 (Fallout 3)
Ambient Occlusion setting - default "Off", change to "Quality"
Ambient Occlusion usage - default "Disabled", change to "Enabled"