Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71 (permalink)  
Old July 27, 2011, 07:04 PM
ipaine's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 2,054

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
Or you could check out D2D, Impulse, Green Man Gaming or Gamersgate (I think that covers the rest). I find the other digital distributors have better pre order deals in general. Whenever they have discount codes they usually work on pre orders.

I know there are others but I hate using a whole bunch of different places. I don't mind gog for example as once I download it I have it and don't need to go online to activate or any other crap DRM. I guess I am still from the time when we bought everything in the store and never had to worry about DRM crap.

I just want to be able to purchase the game and play it. If EA, makes that difficult then whatever, screw them. I also have a thing against EA just having their own store. I just don't like EA I guess. Ok, this is turning into a rant, or will be soon, so back on topic.

Saw some footage from Comic-con and it looks pretty good. I like the weapon mod idea, but hopefully they do it right. All in all I'm in it for the story and really the action is second to that.
__________________
"Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong."


Reply With Quote
  #72 (permalink)  
Old August 16, 2011, 01:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Shore Montreal
Posts: 1,945
Default

New trailer released today.

Mass Effect 3 Squad leader Trailer - YouTube
Reply With Quote
  #73 (permalink)  
Old October 10, 2011, 01:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Shore Montreal
Posts: 1,945
Default

Looks like ME3 will have multiplayer, and it would seem to be co-op.

Mass Effect 3 co-op multiplayer confirmed [Up - Shacknews.com - Video Game News, Trailers, Game Videos, and Files
Reply With Quote
  #74 (permalink)  
Old October 10, 2011, 01:44 PM
Supergrover's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Okanagan Falls, British Columbia
Posts: 4,246

My System Specs

Default

IDK how they would fit it into the story, I mean you cant have 50 Sheps in a room.

Hopfully more info will comeout soon.

Loved ME1-2, renegade is so much more fun than paragon IMO.
__________________
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Reply With Quote
  #75 (permalink)  
Old October 10, 2011, 02:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Shore Montreal
Posts: 1,945
Default

maybe one person will have to play one of the other characters. Then again since Shep can die in ME2, there is obviously another character to take his place.
Reply With Quote
  #76 (permalink)  
Old October 10, 2011, 03:11 PM
Arinoth's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 8,579

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
IDK how they would fit it into the story, I mean you cant have 50 Sheps in a room.

Hopfully more info will comeout soon.

Loved ME1-2, renegade is so much more fun than paragon IMO.
Insert dirty thoughts of multiple female shepards here
Reply With Quote
  #77 (permalink)  
Old October 10, 2011, 09:38 PM
ipaine's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 2,054

My System Specs

Default

You know what, this pisses me right the hell off. And why do you ask? Because there is no damn reason to do this. I want my single player game, I don't what some stupid ass multiplayer crap to take away from the time they should be spending on making the single player experience the best it can possibly be.

You this is just another stupid thing that is wrong with the times. Everyone want to play together and be connected all the stinking time. Well I don't!!! I play a game like Mass Effect to get immersed into the story and frankly bringing any type of multiplayer into the series at this stage is a bad move. I don't want to have someone else there with me controlling another person. I just want a decent single player experience and them adding multiplayer on to it now just shows me that they (Bioware) have completely abandoned what made the series good. People got it because it had a great single player story. There are already tons of multiplayer games out there for people, they don't need to come and f#$% up another great single player game.

Seriously what a piss off.


Ok here is the information straight from Bioware:

Quote:
Hi Everyone

Today BioWare and the Mass Effect 3 team are very pleased to announce 4 player co-op multiplayer missions and the Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War system for Mass Effect 3 on the PC, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.


4 player co-op multiplayer

Join your friends in the all-out galactic war to take Earth back. The universe of Mass Effect expands with the addition of new co-op multiplayer missions, playable over Xbox Live, PSN and PC internet. Players can choose from a variety of classes and races, form an elite Special Forces squad, and combine their weapons, powers and abilities to devastating effect as they fight together to liberate key territories from enemy control. Success in multi-player will have a direct impact on the outcome of the single player campaign, giving players an alternative method of achieving ultimate victory against the greatest threat mankind – and the entire galaxy – has ever faced.

Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War

As a bonus to the campaign, BioWare is introducing the Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War system, a new way for players to manage and experience the galactic war from multiple fronts, including a new 4-player co-op mode. The key to saving the galaxy is the “Galactic Readiness” level, measured by Commander Shepard’s ability to apply
every possible asset – people, weapons, resources, armies, fleets – in the final battle against the Reapers. Players can impact their game’s Galactic Readiness level in multiple ways via the Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War system, including multiplayer. Other platforms and interfaces will be announced in the coming months. It is important to note that the system is entirely optional and just another way players can have control over your game experience – it is still possible to achieve the optimal, complete ending of the game in Mass Effect 3 through single-player alone.


F.A.Q.

Why include 4 player Co-op multiplayer in Mass Effect 3?
  • Being able to explore and fight alongside your friends in the Mass Effect universe has always been something we thought would be fun and compelling, and many players have asked for it for a long time as well. Mass Effect 3 is the best place for us to introduce multiplayer through co-op because of the premise of the game – all out galactic war.

Why only 4 player co-op? What not a versus mode?
  • We have always maintained that we would only add multiplayer into the Mass Effect series if it made sense and did not compromise the power of the single player campaign. Fighting together against a common threat was the multiplayer experience that made the most sense for Mass Effect 3. The way we have designed co-op as a wayto take control of key conflict zones in the galaxy is a natural extension of the premise of Mass Effect 3.

Why did you decide not to include it as a part of the main campaign?
  • Our priority and focus with Mass Effect 3 has and always will be to deliver a complete and satisfying single player experience.

Does the addition of co-op multiplayer missions impact the scope or quality of the single-player experience?
  • No. A dedicated team from our recently formed BioWare Montreal studio has been focused on creating the multiplayer game features while the main game continued to be developed by the team in BioWare Edmonton. Both teams are integrated under the same leadership group that produced Mass Effect 1 and 2, led by Casey Hudson. BioWare remains dedicated to delivering one of the most amazing single-player campaigns gamers have ever experienced.

How did developing multiplayer impact the single player game?
  • BioWare is dedicated and focused on delivering an engaging, fun, and action-packed experience for Mass Effect 3, one that lives up the BioWare standard. To reach that level of quality, last year BioWare opened a studio in Montreal that is home to designers, programmers, engineers, and other developers. Both studios work together as partners, lead by the core Mass Effect team, unified in a single vision. Under the direction of Casey Hudson and other team veterans, both studios make contributions to both the single player and multiplayer modes in Mass Effect 3. Rest assured that no compromises were made to either of these modes in the development of Mass Effect 3.

Which characters can I play in co-op multiplayer? Can I play as Commander Shepard?
  • Commander Shepard’s part in the war will take place in the single-player campaign, as will that of other beloved characters in the franchise such as Garrus, Ashley, and Liara…these characters do not appear in the multiplayer missions. In multiplayer, players will create custom characters to fight on different and unique fronts in the war. This will include the ability to play as favorites like Turians, Krogans, Asari and more… each with their own unique set of abilities.

What if I don’t like multiplayer – will my experience be negatively impacted?
  • Mass Effect 3 is a complete, standalone game that will deliver a satisfying story experience, even if you choose not to try multiplayer. The Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War system and all of the individual components are meant to complement that amazing game and can be enjoyed on their own or as part of the Galaxy at War experience.

What if I am not good at / do not like multiplayer? Will my readiness rating go down?
  • ME3 is a story about a war against overwhelming force where the most you can hope for us survival. The more you do to fight that war, the more you can change that story into a more optimistic one. You can reach the highest levels of success in the single player experience alone, but Galaxy at War gives you alternative ways to get there. It’s about choice, and allowing players to find their own ways to stay immersed in the Mass Effect universe.

Will you be adding any additional maps or modes through DLC?
  • We can’t comment on specifics right now, but can confirm that we are planning on having DLC for Mass Effect 3.
Do save games from ME1 or ME2 impact the co-op multiplayer missions?
  • No.

Do characters level up in co-op multiplayer? What is the progression system?
  • Character progression, weapon upgrading and leveling up is present in co-op. We’ll release more information on this topic in the months leading up to launch.

Is there more info about the other platforms of Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War?
  • We are not going into details about the other components of the Galaxy at War at this time except to say we are designing each to make sense for that platform. Each component will be able to affect a player’s “Galactic Readiness” level in a different way. Again, participation in any or all ME3:GaW elements is entirely optional.
So does that get rid of some concerns sure, until I read this part, "What if I am not good at / do not like multiplayer? Will my readiness rating go down?
  • ME3 is a story about a war against overwhelming force where the most you can hope for us survival. The more you do to fight that war, the more you can change that story into a more optimistic one. You can reach the highest levels of success in the single player experience alone, but Galaxy at War gives you alternative ways to get there. It’s about choice, and allowing players to find their own ways to stay immersed in the Mass Effect universe."
To me that tells me that what happens in the co-op will affect ways to finish the game. Thanks you stupid idiots, now I have to play the new stupid ass co-op if I want a full game experience. What a crock of sheet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ok, one last edit.

Here is a little bit from a poster in the Bioware forum that sums up how I feel about all of this MP stuff.

Quote:
I'm still not a fan of multiplayer.

My concerns are pretty simple, though:

As long as I get my full SP experience, I'm cool with the additions.

If, conversely, co-op play gets perks that I cannot get otherwise - and I absolutely positively must play and pay online to get the content I've already paid for by buying the game in the first place, I'll be p!ssed off and justified in my p!ssioffedness.

If, however, I can play the co-op stuff offline with AI, or even alone, I will not rage. This would cool me out as the appeal of the ability to play as a customizable krogan or turian is undeniable. If there are no real perks to co-op - other than playing with your friends (as long I can get gameplay perks in SP), who bleed'n cares?
All that said we should be getting more answers later this week from Bioware. I just really hope they didn't screw my experience because of the MP.
__________________
"Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong."



Last edited by ipaine; October 10, 2011 at 10:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #78 (permalink)  
Old October 11, 2011, 08:05 AM
LaughingCrow's Avatar
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
You know what, this pisses me right the hell off. And why do you ask? Because there is no damn reason to do this. I want my single player game, I don't what some stupid ass multiplayer crap to take away from the time they should be spending on making the single player experience the best it can possibly be.

You this is just another stupid thing that is wrong with the times. Everyone want to play together and be connected all the stinking time.

Seriously what a piss off.
Agreed. ME 1 = single player; ME 2 = single player. It was billed as a single player series where your choices in each game could affect the next installment. Why switch?

Easy answer= if Call of Duty makes tons of money with a multiplayer game format, particularly on the console, we should try to get a piece of the action.

Same reason why you'll probably see multiplayer in Dragon Age 3. Probably Witcher 3 as well, since that seemed designed from the start for a controller/console (it took a couple of major patches before I could play it because I couldn't remap the keyboard for left hand play).

Odd timing for these, since the console is static; graphics will never get better and you won't have to spend much on a new PC system to better it. Maybe it's cheaper/faster to get a production cycle completed on the console. 'Press a button, something awesome happens', still hasn't happened as far as I'm concerned.

I'll just wait til the price of ME3 is low enough to consider and I've read a lot of reviews and BioWare's forum. Not going to pay full price for half a game. Both Dragon Age 2 and Witcher 2 lost a lot on the PC platform - dumbed down controls, tactical camera. Witcher 2 gained great graphics, but I'd rather have better gameplay on a single player game than great graphics.
Reply With Quote
  #79 (permalink)  
Old October 11, 2011, 08:19 AM
Arinoth's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 8,579

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingCrow View Post
Agreed. ME 1 = single player; ME 2 = single player. It was billed as a single player series where your choices in each game could affect the next installment. Why switch?

Easy answer= if Call of Duty makes tons of money with a multiplayer game format, particularly on the console, we should try to get a piece of the action.

Same reason why you'll probably see multiplayer in Dragon Age 3. Probably Witcher 3 as well, since that seemed designed from the start for a controller/console (it took a couple of major patches before I could play it because I couldn't remap the keyboard for left hand play).

Odd timing for these, since the console is static; graphics will never get better and you won't have to spend much on a new PC system to better it. Maybe it's cheaper/faster to get a production cycle completed on the console. 'Press a button, something awesome happens', still hasn't happened as far as I'm concerned.

I'll just wait til the price of ME3 is low enough to consider and I've read a lot of reviews and BioWare's forum. Not going to pay full price for half a game. Both Dragon Age 2 and Witcher 2 lost a lot on the PC platform - dumbed down controls, tactical camera. Witcher 2 gained great graphics, but I'd rather have better gameplay on a single player game than great graphics.
I'm not 100% sure with you on the Witcher 2 thing, seeing as it'll probably be at least a year since its release until the consoles get it. I do agree that it seems that they dumbed down the controls a bit for combat, though I did enjoy the changes they did to fist fighting over what they originally had.

Back onto ME3, I think people may be blowing things out of proportion in the fear that the game will end up worse then better with this multiplayer add-on. I for one will still be buying and installing this game on Day 1 (as I did with Witcher 2... but was held back by other games and wasn't able to play it until some patches fixed some of its original glitchies). The way I'm looking at it is that Bioware is more then likely going to try to push its Star Wars mmo and try to keep ME as true to a single player game as possible.

I'm also curious to see what this co-op campaign/addon may be, it may turn out to be an amazing addition which may delve more into the story then we thought. OR it could be steaming pile of crap which is necessary to play to get everything for your character in single player. Only time will tell and all we can do is speculate and well allow the hardcore haters to hate.
Reply With Quote
  #80 (permalink)  
Old October 11, 2011, 04:49 PM
ipaine's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 2,054

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingCrow View Post
Probably Witcher 3 as well, since that seemed designed from the start for a controller/console (it took a couple of major patches before I could play it because I couldn't remap the keyboard for left hand play)....
....Both Dragon Age 2 and Witcher 2 lost a lot on the PC platform - dumbed down controls, tactical camera. Witcher 2 gained great graphics, but I'd rather have better gameplay on a single player game than great graphics.
Just to let you know, the Witcher 2 was designed straight on the PC. It was one of the only games still designed for the PC by PC people. While the idea of putting it onto the 360 was there at the beginning they still dedicated to making it the best on the PC. As for remapping the keys, I honestly never check on most games but yes that would suck if you couldn't remap them the way you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Back onto ME3, I think people may be blowing things out of proportion in the fear that the game will end up worse then better with this multiplayer add-on. I for one will still be buying and installing this game on Day 1......
.......I'm also curious to see what this co-op campaign/addon may be, it may turn out to be an amazing addition which may delve more into the story then we thought. OR it could be steaming pile of crap which is necessary to play to get everything for your character in single player. Only time will tell and all we can do is speculate and well allow the hardcore haters to hate.
That is what I am worried about. I just don't want to be forced to play it to be able to get everything in the single player experience. I know that they said you can get the optimal ending without it, but I don't want to miss out on ways to get to it because some are restricted to the MP. That said if they would let you do the co-op with bots then maybe I could get into it, but then again is that not what the main game is with your squad.

At the end of the day I will get this as I am heavily invested into the Mass Effect series and have played the first one about 4 times and the second about 3 times. I want to get to the end and I really did not want to have MP shoved into what should/could and hopefully will still be an excellent single player game that wraps up the story nicely.
__________________
"Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong."


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mass Effect 2 muse108dc Gaming 112 August 18, 2010 01:59 PM
help me please (mass effect) BrianHanna Gaming 20 February 8, 2010 04:19 PM
mass effect, wow BrianHanna Gaming 21 November 24, 2009 08:28 AM
Mass Effect 2 misterlarry Gaming 13 May 24, 2009 12:17 PM
Mass Effect II misterlarry Gaming 4 March 31, 2009 09:26 AM