Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 20, 2012, 02:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Totally agree. While the first ME was epic, it was the MAKO missions that knocked it down a few notches in my books.

Oh come on! You got some of the Craziest Gravity defying jumps and dives that anyone has ever seen.
It might have been semi-frustrating using the MAKO but it was DAMN entertaining.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 20, 2012, 07:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Why do you think it wouldn't have an effect on it? The fact is even if they took "extra" money and used it for the MP, that same "extra" money could have been used for the SP. My point still stands, at the end of the day the total money spent on ME3 was put into both SP and MP, which shows that money went to MP that could have been spent on SP.
[QUOTE=muse108dc;603694And there is no way the MP budget didnt effect the SP budget, all the money comes from the same pot and it is a real shame EA's on this "all of our games must have MP" now, I really hate to see whats going to happen to DragonAge[/QUOTE]

Let me put it this way: say ME3 cost 50M to develop with 5M for the MP (totally bogus numbers of course). Do you think EA makes more money on SP only costing 55M or SP + some MP (potential for even more DLC) for 55M combined?

Obviously I would love for Bioware to have had the extra money for SP instead of MP, but money talks.

I am still going to buy it and will most likely enjoy it and get my money's worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Oh come on! You got some of the Craziest Gravity defying jumps and dives that anyone has ever seen.
It might have been semi-frustrating using the MAKO but it was DAMN entertaining.

-ST
I agree with this wholeheartedly. The MAKO was annoying, but I did amuse myself with it considerably trying to get to places I shouldn't or try and take the direct way to an objective.
Old February 21, 2012, 12:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
Let me put it this way: say ME3 cost 50M to develop with 5M for the MP (totally bogus numbers of course). Do you think EA makes more money on SP only costing 55M or SP + some MP (potential for even more DLC) for 55M combined?

Obviously I would love for Bioware to have had the extra money for SP instead of MP, but money talks.

I am still going to buy it and will most likely enjoy it and get my money's worth.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. The MAKO was annoying, but I did amuse myself with it considerably trying to get to places I shouldn't or try and take the direct way to an objective.
Well using your numbers you could also say that they could have spent all 55M on the SP and still sold just as many, possibly even more than they will (remember there are a lot of people pissed off about including MP and having it effect SP). And then spend say 10M on a dedicated MP and make way more.

My point is not that MP should have been left out of the ME universe completely, but that it should have had its own separate game after the end of ME3. I honestly believe that EA would have made more like that then they will this way. If you ask me it is more than just about money, it is about forcing more users towards origin and always on copy protection. By tying MP to this SP game they have made it easy for them to require origin. And the more people that they get on origin the better for them and the more people on origin, the more data they can mine.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh yea, I actually enjoyed using the Mako a bit. It just has to be in situations that are not just trying to run around mindlessly on a planet. And yea, some of the jumps you could get in it were great.

Old February 21, 2012, 04:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

Frankly I think it is only a minority, a very vocal one it seems, but a minority nonetheless that is "pissed" about the MP. Seeing how things like this have happened in the past such as L4D2, MW2 and it's various incarnations and likely many other games that still went on to sell extremely well. I am fairly confident they determined they would get a higher ROI by investing in MP instead of further polishing SP or adding additional SP content.
Old February 21, 2012, 07:31 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
Frankly I think it is only a minority, a very vocal one it seems, but a minority nonetheless that is "pissed" about the MP.
I suspect the issue wasn't SP vs MP, so much as the MP element means a mandatory install of Origin. Which doesn't make sense to a lot of people who only want the SP or for those who prefer Steam and already have ME and ME 2 on Steam and can't get ME 3 on Steam.

I don't see the point of Origin for SP from a user's perspective as it does nothing. With Origin you're stuck with another running process, one more thing that could go wrong and yet another EULA, TOS and Privacy Policy (and many people are having problems with it). From EA's perspective, it's about control and data mining. It's annoying that Origin doesn't shut down when you shut down the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
My point is not that MP should have been left out of the ME universe completely, but that it should have had its own separate game after the end of ME3. I honestly believe that EA would have made more like that then they will this way. If you ask me it is more than just about money, it is about forcing more users towards origin and always on copy protection. By tying MP to this SP game they have made it easy for them to require origin. And the more people that they get on origin the better for them and the more people on origin, the more data they can mine.
Agreed, that keeping the two styles of game play separate would have been better for users as well as EA. I think it may signify the end of an era for gaming. Other than the few companies like CD Projekt RED, that will still bring out big titles without DRM, more and more will use controlling applications like Origin.
Old February 21, 2012, 03:31 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

NVIDIA actually has a pretty good write up about the demo here: Articles: Mass Effect 3 Demo: Impressions and Benchmarks - GeForce

Seems the game is playable on pretty much every mid-range GPU from the last few generations.
Old February 21, 2012, 05:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingCrow View Post
I suspect the issue wasn't SP vs MP, so much as the MP element means a mandatory install of Origin. Which doesn't make sense to a lot of people who only want the SP or for those who prefer Steam and already have ME and ME 2 on Steam and can't get ME 3 on Steam.

I don't see the point of Origin for SP from a user's perspective as it does nothing. With Origin you're stuck with another running process, one more thing that could go wrong and yet another EULA, TOS and Privacy Policy (and many people are having problems with it). From EA's perspective, it's about control and data mining. It's annoying that Origin doesn't shut down when you shut down the game.

Agreed, that keeping the two styles of game play separate would have been better for users as well as EA. I think it may signify the end of an era for gaming. Other than the few companies like CD Projekt RED, that will still bring out big titles without DRM, more and more will use controlling applications like Origin.
How is Steam any different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valve's Privacy Policy
By using Valve's online sites and products, users agree that Valve may collect aggregate information, individual information, and personally identifiable information, as defined below. Valve may share aggregate information and individual information with other parties. Valve shall not share personally identifiable information with other parties, except as described in the policy below.
The whole policy can be found here Valve .

As you can see Valve collects data about it's users as well, no where does it say this is optional. The hardware survey may be optional the might still collect some of that info regardless of your choice (there is no mention of the hardware survey in the EULA or Privacy policy).

Most of what you say applies to Steam as well as Origin. However I/we am/are straying off topic. I am going to wait until I actually play the game before I complain about things I don't know for certain.

---------

Has anyone read the 4th Mass Effect novel, Mass Effect: Deception? How does it compare to the first 3?

I read the first three but it looks like the author changed for the newest book and supposedly there are quite a number of inconsistencies. I was debating buying it but now I am not sure (though supposedly Bioware and/or Del Ray are going to fix the error for future editions of the novel).
Old February 21, 2012, 05:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

the outcry over the 4th book is amusing to watch really, its apparently bad enough that bioware has come out and said that they will fix it and re-release it.

Steam doesnt scan your harddrive just what you do in steam. Origin scans your harddrive. And that EULA is horrible. Steam doesnt really compare despite being a game hub.

And I dont know about MP being a separate game, I just dont think it should have an effect on SP. Honestly though the MP is good enough that I'm not upset about it being included. I am upset that Origin in mandatory but i've solved that by just sandboxing origin from now on. I am just hoping that the MP budget is above and beyond what Bioware was going to spend on the SP and not effecting that at all and that the sp will be epic.

And honestly, I'm not impresssed with the extended trailer, basically just mashed an earlier trailer in with the one from the other day
Old February 21, 2012, 06:08 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

@muse: sorry to stray slightly off topic but how do you sandbox it? Is there a certain software you use? I've heard of people sandboxing a file they weren't sure was safe but I've never looked into it, and I'm not keen on the idea of origin scanning the whole drive, so would you mind pointing me somewhere?
Old February 21, 2012, 06:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

I use sandboxie, theres a free version of it. I found a walkthrough I think on the escapist website, it was fairly straitforward and I think worthwhile in regards to origin.