Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 18, 2012, 12:57 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingCrow View Post
Why Mass Effect is the Most Important Science Fiction Universe of Our Generation

Why Mass Effect is the Most Important Science Fiction Universe of Our Generation
Very interesting read. Maybe my biggest reason to like the mass effect universe is that it shows us how little we actually matter in our universe and how ignorant we are as a species.
So much potential in this IP.
Old February 18, 2012, 04:14 PM
MVP

My System Specs

just played the demo, and my jaw dropped a bit while shooting cerberus operatives...cant f'ing wait...will poreorder next week, book the 2-3 days off afterwards..
Old February 19, 2012, 02:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

I think the demo has run its course for me now. May duck back into MP every once in a while, just to see if I can unlock any other races, but I got my vanguard to 20 at which point I stopped using bullets and just charge+ novaed everything. I got most classes at least to level 10ish and I think the MP actually has real potential. Hope the single player is even better.
Old February 19, 2012, 10:32 AM
MVP
F@H

Someone ripped into the demo code and pulled out all images (106) of the 34 weapons (no heavy weapon images):

Steam Community :: Master Pimpstuff :: Screenshots

and they also claim they have found some vulnerabilities in co-op play and here's the BioWare thread on it:

Quote:
To EA:
There's this and a sea of other exploits in the game. If you want to know more, contact me. As of right now, I don't suggest you release Mass Effect 3 without rewriting significant portions of the netcode. There are many vulnerabilities. If ME3 was to be released without being rewritten, the multiplayer would be disasterous. Hire a reverse engineer or two extra and give them a week to see what I mean.
Choose Language | BioWare Social Network
Old February 19, 2012, 10:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well let me just say, if they delayed it based off of stupid multiplayer, then I think I would be forced to storm their offices.

Multiplayer never belonged in it and was only added because of EA thinking that it should have it. If it delays it I would be seriously pissed. Now that said I don't think that will happen as even if they found a vulnerability they would just patch it and not delay the whole game. Not to mention it has gone gold and is getting burnt to disks and getting ready to be shipped as we speak.

Old February 19, 2012, 11:45 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Multiplayer never belonged in it and was only added because of EA thinking that it should have it. If it delays it I would be seriously pissed. Now that said I don't think that will happen as even if they found a vulnerability they would just patch it and not delay the whole game. Not to mention it has gone gold and is getting burnt to disks and getting ready to be shipped as we speak.
It never made sense to me to include the multiplayer and I agree it probably was a EA corporate decision like a mandatory Origin install. I also suspect that the introduction of co-op wasn't as gratuitous as they claimed. It wouldn't surprise me to see a full blown multiplayer vs multiplayer eventually.

But for the time being, I think they will milk both the game and co-op with additional DLC (armor, weapns and maps?). Given how much unique DLC is already out there depending on where you purchase, Razor's ME 3 peripherals and figurines, ME 3 is already a big cash cow and will continue to be for EA/BioWare.
Old February 19, 2012, 12:54 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

IMO, BioWare should have stayed the hell out of multiplayer for the Mass Effect series. This is SHOULD have been a single player only game and they should have treated it as such. Screw MP. Give us replay value through a well fleshed out single player campaign.

And don't even get me started about how pissed I am about DLC. The whole DLC craze is nothing more than a scam that gamers have bough into hook, line and sinker.
Old February 19, 2012, 01:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
IMO, BioWare should have stayed the hell out of multiplayer for the Mass Effect series. This is SHOULD have been a single player only game and they should have treated it as such. Screw MP. Give us replay value through a well fleshed out single player campaign.

And don't even get me started about how pissed I am about DLC. The whole DLC craze is nothing more than a scam that gamers have bough into hook, line and sinker.
That is exactly the same as my thoughts.

If they wanted to do a MP Mass Effect, then it could have been done as a seperate game, but this was built and written to be a single player, and then had MP added after the fact. I'm sure the single player experience will be great, but I will always wonder how much better it could have been if they had truly spent all of their resources on it.

I think the only way that I can agree with any type of DLC is when the game is a year old already and will add a bunch of new levels or something like that, almost what I would consider a mini game. Or make it free. The whole extra if you pre-order from a certain place crap bugs me as well.

I guess I am just old school, when I bought a game back in the day, it was the entire game. No patches, no DLC, no extra characters, nothing. It was how it was meant to be and that was it. Now it is like buying a game and getting something extra cause I pre-ordered it from a certain place and then a week later I can buy some new character or new guns or new armor or something.

Hell with ME3, this is supposed to be the end of the story, yet I'm sure there will be DLC with extra missions and such for the next year coming out.

Ah well, my rant is over. Just let the 6th get here and then I can start playing the SP and enjoy the end of one of the best told stories in video games.

Old February 19, 2012, 01:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i will never play the multi player side of the game, who would want to sit there and let someone else choose the story line. i would prefer they just delete it.
Old February 19, 2012, 03:32 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
I guess I am just old school, when I bought a game back in the day, it was the entire game. No patches, no DLC, no extra characters, nothing. It was how it was meant to be and that was it. Now it is like buying a game and getting something extra cause I pre-ordered it from a certain place and then a week later I can buy some new character or new guns or new armor or something.
I agree. I played the first two parts as single player, why dump this on us now. And couldn't the money spent on the multiplayer development been better spent on a single player finale? Then just bring out a DLC for multiplayer.

Quote:
Hell with ME3, this is supposed to be the end of the story, yet I'm sure there will be DLC with extra missions and such for the next year coming out.
One of the Edmonton newspapers interviewed Casey Hudson and writer Mac Walters yesterday, and Hudson states they will still be working on ME 3 for a year, with DLC and multiplayer.

Bioware's new game set for release

But more bothersome to me is the link between MP and SP. In spite of all the assurances from BioWare that you can get a complete game experience from just SP, I think SP and MP are more tangled up than they admit. This is based on several posts on this Galactic Readiness in MP and how it affects SP and about the point system they use in game to calculate Galactic Readiness, etc.

Also, there's a new ME 3 trailer supposed to air tonight with The Walking Dead, whatever that is (no TV).

Last edited by LaughingCrow; February 19, 2012 at 06:46 PM.