Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 22, 2012, 12:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

In case people didn't already know this Mass Effect 3 will not be on steam and will require Origin no matter where it gets purchased.

Surprise Surprise, Mass Effect 3 Requires Origin, Won't Launch On Steam

I know I am not happy about it. My issue is more to do with it requiring origin as I don't like installing things that will scan my files and not let me opt out. I just think this is a way for EA to force more sales over to the console side as they don't want PC gamers at all.

Old January 22, 2012, 12:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well....

YARRRRR! EYEPATCH! WALK THE PLANK! SHIVER ME TIMBERS! A YO HO HO AND A BOTTLE OF RUM?

Or am I completely out of line here?

Actually, the main thing that pisses me off now is that Steam is singled out and no matter who you buy it from you may as well just download and activate it via Origins anyway. BF3 didn't work when downloaded from D2D at all.
Old January 22, 2012, 01:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Well....

YARRRRR! EYEPATCH! WALK THE PLANK! SHIVER ME TIMBERS! A YO HO HO AND A BOTTLE OF RUM?

Or am I completely out of line here?
Are you completely out of line, nope not in my mind. Really that is how I got the first two initially, of course I have bought them both on steam now.

Quote:
Actually, the main thing that pisses me off now is that Steam is singled out and no matter who you buy it from you may as well just download and activate it via Origins anyway. BF3 didn't work when downloaded from D2D at all.
And this is also what pisses me off more than just not being on steam. As it stands it don't matter where I get it I have no choice but to use Origin. I also suspect why they threw on the multiplayer as this means you have to be connected to them the entire time.

Old January 22, 2012, 03:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Well....

hehe
I hate applications or games that try to make you install things that really have nothing to do with the game or software itself.
Old January 22, 2012, 04:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

So programs like steam...
Old January 22, 2012, 04:05 PM

My System Specs

Hopefully down the road they announce that it won't require Origin like they did with SWTOR.
Old January 22, 2012, 11:42 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
In case people didn't already know this Mass Effect 3 will not be on steam and will require Origin no matter where it gets purchased.

Surprise Surprise, Mass Effect 3 Requires Origin, Won't Launch On Steam

I know I am not happy about it. My issue is more to do with it requiring origin as I don't like installing things that will scan my files and not let me opt out. I just think this is a way for EA to force more sales over to the console side as they don't want PC gamers at all.
There's been an interesting development in the Origin thread on the BioWare forum as well as on EA's forum. dmex started posting on the EA forums, has the EA icon and is listed as a developer. Someone queried him on the EA forum and dmex popped over to the BioWare thread on Origin. He mentioned he was developing an open source version of Origin! Seemed quite knowledgeable. THEN, the BioWare moderator posted that dmex was NOT an EA employee (and I think banned him temporarily). Some people thought he was just a well educated troll. People were asking dmex a lot of questions about sandboxing Origin and getting temporary bans, presumable because the mod thought sandboxing was DRM circumvention.

Turns out dmex, while not a direct EA employee, is actually a developer hired by EA to work on security issues and the BioWare mod posted this:
Quote:
After further research I can now confirm that Dmex is an external contractor who is working with the EA Origin team on security issues. We are working with his management to further clarify his working relationship with EA, and hope to resolve this soon.
dmex pointed out that the DRM being used in ME 3 is built into the game, not Origin, but did not mention what the DRM was (i.e. SecuRom, etc).

Overview - Open Origin

The ongoing Origin Thread at BioWare (dmex shows up around page 100 IIRC and on more recent pages)
Choose Language | BioWare Social Network
Old January 23, 2012, 04:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Hopefully down the road they announce that it won't require Origin like they did with SWTOR.
Yep, I don't know why they even bothered adding it to your games list to begin with. Bioware provided an independent downloader/installer that completely ignores Origin. Mind you its a game where you have to be connected all the time to the Bioware servers to play (and its sub based).
Old January 30, 2012, 04:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well here's a video showcasing multiplayer

Mass Effect 3 | Special Forces Multiplayer Trailer - YouTube
Old January 30, 2012, 10:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

not a bad trailer, some glimpses of the galaxy at war stuff from single player as well, which personally I am much more interested in.

But honestly while I dont begrudge them multiplayer, it does fit with the story I geuss, I do not like how they are making it have an effect on the single player. In my mind those 2 gameplay modes should stay well and truely divided.