Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 10, 2010, 10:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default What is your Game of the Year?

Well the year is almost over, and I believe most major games have been released, so what are your picks for game of the year (PC or Console whichever)?

I had considered making a poll, but if console games are included I don't think there would be enough options.

Anyways here are mine (I split mine into different categories, but you don't have to).

Overall GOTY: Mass Effect 2, there were maybe some changes to gameplay that weren't liked as much, and maybe some disappointment that ME1 didn't play as big a role as it could have, but overall I enjoyed ME2. I eagerly await the 3rd.

Strategy GOTY (RTS, TBS, etc..): Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty, I wasn't that big of a SC fan but I enjoyed the campaign and the custom maps.

Shooter (FPS, TPS) GOTY: Battlefield Bad Company 2, it is no ETQW but I got (and still do from time to time) a lot of mileage out of it.

RPG GOTY: See ME2.

Sports/Racing GOTY: Didn't play any of those released this year.

Indie/Casual GOTY: This one is tough as there were a number of good ones that came out this year. My choice is Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale, although technically it came out in Japan in '07. It is an interesting take on JRPG as you play it mainly from the item shop's POV. Honourable mention to Rhythm Zone.

Mobile App (iPhone/iPod/iPad, Android, WP7, etc..): Angry Birds, I know it came out last year on the iPhone, but it didn't come out on Android until this past summer. Great for killing time (or your patience, lol).

If none of the above sections best fit your game fell free to create one.

Last edited by thorn; December 10, 2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old December 10, 2010, 11:03 AM
Rookie

When i need quick RTS fix, I go for SCII, so that's def GOTY.

Sport/Racing goes to GT5, I l just love it :D

Music/Rhythm GOTY goes to DJ Max Portable 3, love that game. So glad I bought the collector's edition.
Old December 10, 2010, 11:15 AM
MVP

I missed a lot of the big releases this year as reality kept sucking up all my time, but I did play Mass Effect 2 through a bunch of times, and loved it. Can't wait for ME3 and would second ME2 as GOTY if I had only been able to compare it to some others this year!
Old December 10, 2010, 11:16 AM
MVP

My GOTY: Red Dead Redemption by a mile. I consider this game to be a true work of art. The level of talent that went into the art assets from the textures to the models to the animation to the music to the sound effects is mind-boggling.
Old December 10, 2010, 12:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

GOTY: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood

This series just keeps getting better and better. This game was marketed as a MP version of AC2 similar to The Ship. And the MP is quite good and a nice break from the usual CoD or L4D style shooty affair. But the truth is the SP is really frickin fantastic and seriously overlooked by the marketers. More improvements in combat, more things to do, new platforming elements, new missions, more depth, a HUGE map of Rome, 10s of hours of playtime...

Runner Up: RDR
If I actually had the time to pick up RDR and play through it I am pretty sure it would be a very difficult decision for me to decide which game is the GOTY between the two. So I will definitely be picking it up someday. But knowing what I know of this game it looks SWEEEEET.

Biggest Disappointment: Bioshock 2

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old December 10, 2010, 12:46 PM

My System Specs

Mass Effect 2 w/o a doubt. So much RPG awesomeness.
Old December 10, 2010, 12:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

RPG is Mass Effect 2.

Everything else...SUPER MEAT BOY

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old December 10, 2010, 01:25 PM
Allstar
F@H

Starcraft 2 : the community is blowing up, the game is getting great exposure and Blizzard is working hard on the quality and gameplay!

Old December 10, 2010, 02:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

ME2 , I haven't finished it yet , and I didn't like some of the changes they made but overall it still wins my vote for Overall GOTY.

Only other game I've played in depth is SC2, and it is a vast improvment over the original.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 10, 2010, 02:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

SC2 or BC2