Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 3, 2010, 11:38 AM
Rookie

Default PS3 Experts

Here is my situation, I like to DL movies on my PS3 from the playstation store, they take along time so while its DL I figure I'll watch a movie on Netflix which is also on my PS3. But when Neflix starts my DL stops, so I went out and bought a dual ban router (2.4/5.0ghz Linksys E3000) it says its auto detecting so I figured that my DL would continue on the 2.4 ban and Netflix would come in on the 5.0 ban, I guess I was wrong to figure that, my DL from the PS3 store still stops, infact I can't even play online or it stops aswell. So Im wondering if its something with my router, or maby the fact that my PS3 is using a wireless connection, or maby the PS3 just does not have the capability to take advantage of a dual ban router. Any thoughts on this.
Old December 3, 2010, 11:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpeaker View Post
Here is my situation, I like to DL movies on my PS3 from the playstation store, they take along time so while its DL I figure I'll watch a movie on Netflix which is also on my PS3. But when Neflix starts my DL stops, so I went out and bought a dual ban router (2.4/5.0ghz Linksys E3000) it says its auto detecting so I figured that my DL would continue on the 2.4 ban and Netflix would come in on the 5.0 ban, I guess I was wrong to figure that, my DL from the PS3 store still stops, infact I can't even play online or it stops aswell. So Im wondering if its something with my router, or maby the fact that my PS3 is using a wireless connection, or maby the PS3 just does not have the capability to take advantage of a dual ban router. Any thoughts on this.
PS3 and wireless isn't the greatest imho.

I find the best way to get anything done like streaming is a wired connection.
Old December 3, 2010, 11:56 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Both apps are on the same PS3 on the same connection right? I'm thinking it's fairly safe to assume that the PS3 itself is doing some form of packet/app priorty in order to preserve the integrity of the most immediate requirement. Your PS3 is more than likely turning off the DL while you try to do other functions that require bandwidth, it's got absolutely nothing to do with your router.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 3, 2010, 11:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, you're DL will stop as soon as you load another application off the PS3. Even if you're playing single player games IIRC it stops the DL. Now, you could stream movies off your PC (although I wouldnt recommend while DLing) or you could watch off the hard drive or flash drive.
Old December 3, 2010, 12:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

banD, it's dual-band. not ban. - and your theory doesn't make sense. the wireless is only on one band. either 2.4 or 5, not both. (not sure of the PS3's specific case)

and you can't stream anything (i.e netflix or a game) while downloading, afaik.
Old December 3, 2010, 12:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You know you can DL the movie from PSN and watch it at the same time. Just let it get a bit of a head start and go into download mgmt to check the DL rate. If it's going along at a decent clip you can totally watch the movie as it downloads. I have done this many times.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old December 5, 2010, 03:29 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Currently you can not stream anything while downloading. But like thund3rball said, give it a head start and watch it :D. Or you can stream movies off your PC which is not a very good idea as the download will slow and the streaming will be slow also, unless you have very fast internet.
Old December 6, 2010, 02:42 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The Xbox 360 does the exact same thing.. Steam also on PC does that, if you're downloading a game and start one that use Steam, the download will pause and resume after..