Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Gaming (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/)
-   -   I'm A Bit Confused (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/38165-im-bit-confused.html)

shayan288 November 20, 2010 07:58 PM

I'm A Bit Confused

Hi there.

So a while back I bought bad company 2 as a retail DVD ROM copy, from NCIX. It was actually my first RETAIL PC game that I had ever bought, because I would only buy games from Steam, and was so used to Steam. I was a bit hesitant at first, but it was way cheaper than the steam version, so I went for it.

It has been a while since I installed it, and I have unlocked every weapon, etc etc, level 26 etc etc. I had not known any thing about retail games and I had wanted to use the game as a Steam game. However I didn't know how, so I popped the disk in and installed. And I link my steam account to the install directory of bad company 2. So now whenever I launch the game, the friends see (my name) is playing BFBC2Game. And Also that is the title of bad company 2 in my Steam library.

It is kinda stupid and ugly, and I was wondering if there was a way to switch my copy over to a Steam game, because I want to get the Vietnam expansion when it comes out, and I don't know how I would set up the expansion with a non-Steam game (I have said before I know nothing about physical copy PC games). I also never saw a CD key when I installed my copy, when I bought it from NCIX. I have a memory in my head that I had been looking for a key for like an hour on the box, and never found one, but when I installed the game it had never had asked for a key... Or something like that.

Is there a way to find out the key of the copy I have installed atm, electronically? Can I switch over my copy to a Steam copy somehow? If I do something that involves uninstalling, will my multiplayer stuff be erased, or is it saved to my EA account?

Sorry for the shitty novel guys.

Thanks in advance.

-s288:thumb:

Keltron 3030 November 20, 2010 09:03 PM

hit the add game button in your library and add the product code

whether it works or doesn't, you'll find out :P

shayan288 November 20, 2010 09:12 PM

Would I need to uninstall the game first though? And is there a way to find out my key electronically, through say, EA? Because I can't see a key on the case at all nor on the disk...

jcmaz November 20, 2010 09:23 PM

I thought the CD Key was in the case somewhere... I'll check mine.

EDIT: It is printed on the paper/manual thingy in the DVD case.

Second Edit: I couldn't add my CD-Key to Steam.

mo' power November 20, 2010 09:33 PM

Afaik, you can't change a retail copy to a steam copy. I have tried a few times with no success. You can link your installed retail game with steam but when you start steam it will show your game as a game link in your steam games list.

shayan288 November 20, 2010 11:06 PM

Awww damnit. So when the Vietnam Expansion comes, how can I get to work with my retail copy of Bad Company 2? If I bought the expansion on Steam, would it recognize my Bad Company 2 retail copy, and work? Or would I need to buy the expansion pack in stores? Do they even sell expansion packs in stores?

Lpfan4ever November 20, 2010 11:11 PM

When you first loaded BC2, you linked your CD key to your EA account. Same with Steam users, we got a key and put it into the game to link it to our EA account. It's most likely going to be the exact same for the expansion, no matter where it's purchased.

Then again, I could be wrong.

shayan288 November 20, 2010 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever (Post 452422)
When you first loaded BC2, you linked your CD key to your EA account. Same with Steam users, we got a key and put it into the game to link it to our EA account. It's most likely going to be the exact same for the expansion, no matter where it's purchased.

Then again, I could be wrong.

So I CAN buy the expansion from Steam, and it will work with my retail copy of Bad Company 2? Also If I uninstalled my current copy of Bad Company 2, and bought a new one off of steam, and installed that, would my multiplayer progress be deleted, or is it all saved on my EA account?

muse108dc November 20, 2010 11:43 PM

I'm always very confused, you should be happy by only being a bit.

Lpfan4ever November 20, 2010 11:57 PM

Multiplayer is saved on your EA account. I went from my SSD to my RAID 0 hard drives and loaded the game up right back to where it was. Single player (I believe) would be lost however.