Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 18, 2010, 08:00 PM
Allstar

Default Console extended warranty - Your thoughts

Allright, so my girlfriend finally bought a PS3 (120gb version) at Future Shop. Now she's been told about extended warranties. 60$-70 (i forgot) for 2 years. I told her to wait and get informed before getting it.

Since many of you have consoles, what are your thoughts about it? Should we get it?

Old November 18, 2010, 08:02 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

My PS3 is almost 2 years old and folds all the time. I would not get a warranty for it...just put it in a place that allows the vents to do their jobs. I know only one guy who had a PS3 die on him, and he had one since it was released, and it died just a few weeks ago. The other 6-7 people I Know with one has never had an issue.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 18, 2010, 08:25 PM
Allstar

Good, waiting for more feedback of that kind, may it be positive or negative.

Old November 18, 2010, 08:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

ps3 = no
xbox 360 = yes
Old November 18, 2010, 09:18 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
ps3 = no
xbox 360 = yes
The old style 360s have 3 year warranty against the RROD anyway from Micro$oft

IMO, $70 is kind of high for a 'two year" warranty on a $300 system.

Do remember that if your system goes, the accessories, HD etc. will still be fine and you will just have to buy a basic model replacement, and in a years time, the prices may have fallen. Also, you do get a 1 year warranty from SONY, so that $70 is basically for 1 extra year (plus hassle free replacement for the first year, instead of mailing it in to SONY)

I personally never buy those extended warranties, but I have to say that they can come in handy.

My folks had bought an IBM pc from futureshop (back in the days of windows 3.1) with a 5 year plan and our house got struck by lightning and killed the PC among other things. Futureshop replaced the 4 year old PC with a MUCH better model with no questions asked.

Also, a friend of mine had an acer laptop die about 2 months before the end of the extended warranty. She told them she didn't want another acer and so they gave her store credit in the amount equivalent to a current similar model acer laptop and she put it towards a better toshiba.
Old November 18, 2010, 10:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

the old PS3s are starting to all die, from the intense heat from the passively cooled PSU. Ive had to heat gun a few of them back to life. The new ones dont really have this problem right now, but time will tell..
Old November 18, 2010, 10:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I personally have take one on mine for this reason. It's my DVD + Blu-ray player so it's used a lot. I worked long for futureshop and on a PS3 it's a choice. If your GF have the 70$ and want to make sure in every way to be clean if it break...take it. If not then just don't take it. Anyway, the PS3 isn't a bad consol when it come to defective unit.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old November 19, 2010, 11:59 AM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Allright, so my girlfriend finally bought a PS3 (120gb version) at Future Shop. Now she's been told about extended warranties. 60$-70 (i forgot) for 2 years. I told her to wait and get informed before getting it.

Since many of you have consoles, what are your thoughts about it? Should we get it?
Just remember that if she paid with visa that will likely have doubled the warranty to 2 years (check with CC policy to confirm). I had my PS3 for two and a half years before the blueray drive failed. This is apparently one of the more common problems with the PS3. Being out of warranty I got it fixed/replaced locally for about $100. I would be reluctant to spent $70 on a warranty when it really only adds 1 more year to a 2 year warranty (assuming you used visa).
Old November 19, 2010, 12:34 PM
Allstar

Actually she did pay with Visa, but I'm unable to get info about it for Canadians, althought i did find everything about it on the US site.

Anyways, what i can conclude is that some people don't get the warranty, others do.

Old November 19, 2010, 12:44 PM
Rookie

I personally always opt out of extended warranties offered by places like Futureshop and Best Buy as I've never run into any issues. The extended protection plans are pretty much all profit for them so they can be somewhat aggressive in selling them at times.

Having said that if I had made a $1000 purchase that died on me 2 months after the manufacturer's warranty expired I may be singing a different tune