Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 19, 2010, 01:47 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

fyi - credit card warranty is a HUMONGOUS HASSLE. You need receipts of everything, original credit card statements, etc. The whole process takes roughly two months

Great feature and all, but ultimately it is not worth relying on CC warranty if an instore extended warranty is relatively cheap.

Also, sony offers their own 1 year warranty ($45) and 2 year ($59). That is on top of the 1 Year limited, whereas FS runs concurrently.

Also make sure they discount the price if you buy the extended warranty. PSP's are all gravy to the company, and I have never had a situation where they aren't willing to adjust the price to sell you the PSP.

Many times they say they will give you the PSP for cheaper, and ultimately wind up reducing the price of the product instead.
Old November 19, 2010, 02:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmbo View Post
Just remember that if she paid with visa that will likely have doubled the warranty to 2 years (check with CC policy to confirm). I had my PS3 for two and a half years before the blueray drive failed. This is apparently one of the more common problems with the PS3. Being out of warranty I got it fixed/replaced locally for about $100. I would be reluctant to spent $70 on a warranty when it really only adds 1 more year to a 2 year warranty (assuming you used visa).
Not all visa card offer this warranty. Only a few of them offer it.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old November 19, 2010, 02:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Didn't bother on mine, nor any other electronics I own.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old November 19, 2010, 02:48 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Extra warranty is a bad idea on anything. A console is so cheap these days that $70 is stupid. You have the regular warranty and in a year it will only be cheaper to replace it if anything happens. Chances of it breaking are low.
Old November 19, 2010, 02:50 PM
MVP
F@H

FS/BB warranty is concurrent with manufacturers warranty. Therefore you pay $70 for an additional year.

More often than not, when you take your stuff into them if its in the first year, they'll still tell you to call the manufacturer yourself, so really you only get that service out of them if you spend time to complain about it to a manager.

This is from personal experience, and from working at BB for 2 years.

Your mileage may vary.
Old November 19, 2010, 03:00 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yah I used to work at future shop some years back and I sold those stupid warranties like crazy and even bought them myself. I believed in it back then but really I was brainwashed by the big bucks you get in commission from selling them. Sell a thousand dollar tv make $20, add warranty make $50. I must have bought 20 of em and never used one ever in my life.
Old November 19, 2010, 03:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Paying 70$ for a 300$ product is nearly 25%, that is way too much, specially when you consider that extended warranties are usually there for the period they consider safe(without much problems). Depending where you live(Quebec), you might have a longer warranty by law, but that is a bit more complicated.
Old November 19, 2010, 09:13 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Think of it this way: would they sell it if they were expecting you to need it?