Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 18, 2010, 12:17 PM
MVP
F@H

Default XBOX with KINECT for my girlfriend?

I was wondering if any of you has tried xbox kinect yet, because I was looking to buy to my girlfriend a Wii @ Chrtistmas (she tried Just Dance and really liked it). We don't live together for now, and I already have a Wii for my boy at my home. So I was thinking maybe the Xbox kinect would be a better move (when she will move to my house, we will not end up with 2 Wii).

So the main question, is Xbox Kinect gameplay is equal or superior to the wii? I found out a good deal (I think) 300$ for the Xbox with kinect, a game and 1 controller at Futureshop. The Xbox is the 4gb one... is this a big disadvantage that it's only 4gb?
Old November 18, 2010, 12:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

With what i know of Kinect so far, a few instore jumping sessions making a fool of myself is basically that there arent enough games really for it yet, there are limitations to what kinds of games there can be due to the lack of buttons. Also note the fact that you need 8 feet of uninterrupted space in front of the TV.I think there is potential for a completely new type of gaming but its not quite ready for prime time yet, that dancing game has gotten good reviews from people I know but on the other hand they've said that that is the only game really worth it on the platform at the moment. Course you can also throw in the controllerless media functionality and the webcam and that might make it worth it at the moment for her but thats more of a judgement call.
Old November 18, 2010, 01:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The Dance game is likely the only worthy game for Kinect right now from everything I have read. But if you think there are other games on 360 she might like then go for it. Otherwise I would say Wii is the way to go as you have tons of girlfriendly games on it when Dance Dance (or whatev) gets boring.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old November 18, 2010, 01:28 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Stick with the Wii, get her Wii Fit... Profit?

Old November 18, 2010, 04:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hahaha FiXT. I Lol'd
Old November 18, 2010, 05:18 PM
Allstar
F@H

hahahahaha. Great.

Old November 18, 2010, 05:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Full of WINSAUCE!!!

-Plato
Old November 18, 2010, 06:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

Don't get her video games man, some nice jewelry will do much more than you think ;)

Old November 18, 2010, 06:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

truly great reason i think eh ha ha
Old November 18, 2010, 07:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You actually need 9 feet of space minimum, ideally 10 feet or more though so you have some room when you jump around and what not. Basically 7 feet from the sensor is the closest spot, 8 feet is the middle and 9 feet is the back. Obviously you don't want to be running into things though which is why I'm suggesting 10 feet.

That's really the only negative I have thus far since owning mine. Sure the games are lacking, but it just came out. Wii was the same way when it first came it (Wii Sports was like the only re-playable title for a while, and still is a top choice). Give it 6-12 months and I'm sure the games will improve.