Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 19, 2007, 04:19 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Maybe as a former semi hardcore player of FPS (Counterstrike mostly) I can add something helpful to that. I used to play probably 6 hours a day. I played with guys that played CAL-I/M, I was not near their level, but I could manage to not embarrass myself at least. I was pretty good for CAL-O.

Now, I can't stand to play a FPS online. The things that stop me are:

1) Time investment to get good.
2) Huge amount of cheating.
3) Generally unpleasant mouthy idiots to play with.
4) Marginal amount of fun even if first 3 are not considered.

Recently I bought COD4. Beat it on regular in about 6 hours. Currently working thru it on veteran, but it's really not that fun dying from the same crap again and again. So, maybe I got a few nights of fun out of it.

What I do play now is WoW. For 15 bucks a month I probably play 40 hours+ a month. I play with a guild that I've been with for about 4 years now I think, we switched from SWG when that went downhill. Most of the skill is not so twitch based (we mainly raid, not pvp.) Except for the leveling grind, I have fun. Plus, my account is probably worth 1500 USD+ if I ever decide to quit or move on. I could have got 2500+ out of my SWG accounts but I waited too long, only got 300. The money is a horrible return on investment of time, but it's a hell of a lot better than any FPS.
Old December 19, 2007, 04:26 PM
MVP

I hear ya there, i am tottally addicted to WoW, if you havent played it, dont!! it is worse then crack, it WILL suck the life outta you
Me and my wife both play, and it plays havac on our sex life lol

we are on till 11pm 12am almost every night. IMO it is the best 15$ a month i could throw away
Tathar – WIP*Q9550*Gigabyte EP45-UD3P*OCZ Reaper PC-8500 4gbX2*OCZ Vertex 120gb*WD 1TB WD1001FALS*BFG GTX275*
Old December 20, 2007, 06:26 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Halo 3 was hugely hyped, and it's sales were crazy. So that seems to indicate that the shooter genre isn't in that much danger. And Orange Box has been selling pretty well.
Old December 21, 2007, 06:12 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleF View Post
Halo 3 was hugely hyped, and it's sales were crazy. So that seems to indicate that the shooter genre isn't in that much danger. And Orange Box has been selling pretty well.
We were referring to the PC shooter genre; which is also being threatened by the game consoles, of course.
Old December 23, 2007, 12:29 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Orange Box is simply amazing. HL2 (if you haven't played it, GO AND PLAY IT! imho it's the best experience single-player fps-wise), Ep2 (a little disappointing, but better than Ep1... wtb Ep3 now), Portal (made me happy in my pants, nuff said), TF2 (The style of this multiplayer shooter is hilariously fun!).

UT3 felt like it didn't really belong to the PC. *flame-suit on* it's been Halo-ized. Felt like it belonged better on a console with the extremely blurry/washed out graphics. UT99/2k4 destroy it in terms of gameplay.

Crysis was REALLY fun, the 1st half of it (part of the fun came from upgrading my PC to actually be able to play it :p). When I walked into the tunnels, it started to become a snoozfest, and the VTOL stage (don't get me started on that). Hopefully Crysis can be patched to be more optimized or at least the sequel so more people can actually play it without it turning into a slide-show.

WoW, Blizzard really hit the nail spot on. I used to play it religiously, but then it started eating into my other activities so I quit raiding (Guild clearing black temple) and just decided to play casually on alts/twinks and so forth. The World of Warcraft Armory I don't regret playing since I met so many interesting people that I conversed in ventrillo along the way :p . You can't really compare FPS games and MMOs. They're totally different. I enjoy both :). But I'll have to agree that once you're engrossed in WoW, there's not much of a reason to play other games (there's just too much to do!).
Antec NeoPower Blue 650W, Antec 900

HTPC: X2 64 5000+ Black @3.3ghz (AC 64 Pro)
A-Data DDR 800 2 x 1gb, Radeon 2600 Pro HDMI
Asus M2N-E, Antec Sonata, 380W TruePower