Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 18, 2007, 02:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well I guess the open environments in Crysis have their limits. But what would be the point of heading off in the complete opposite direction for miles and miles than where your mission is supposed to be taking you? You can't say Crysis is totally linear and compare it to FEAR, Quake 4 etc... Those games are almost nothing but hallways and small rooms. A few outdoor excursions but nothing like you get in Crysis.

Yes Crysis is just like every other FPS out there in the fact that it is a FPS. How is this an argument against it being a good game? Sup Com is just like every other RTS. WOW is just like every other MMORPG etc... Also, FEAR, Quake 4 etc... are Run-N-Gun games with little room for planned attacks and stealthy gameplay.

If you take away the suit and the alien levels, you have Farcry. Farcry was another great game that wanted you to try different things when infiltrating an enemy camp for example. Not just run-n-gun.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old December 18, 2007, 02:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
Well I guess the open environments in Crysis have their limits. But what would be the point of heading off in the complete opposite direction for miles and miles than where your mission is supposed to be taking you? You can't say Crysis is totally linear and compare it to FEAR, Quake 4 etc... Those games are almost nothing but hallways and small rooms. A few outdoor excursions but nothing like you get in Crysis.

Yes Crysis is just like every other FPS out there in the fact that it is a FPS. How is this an argument against it being a good game? Sup Com is just like every other RTS. WOW is just like every other MMORPG etc... Also, FEAR, Quake 4 etc... are Run-N-Gun games with little room for planned attacks and stealthy gameplay.

If you take away the suit and the alien levels, you have Farcry. Farcry was another great game that wanted you to try different things when infiltrating an enemy camp for example. Not just run-n-gun.
Whether you walking down a hall or they set out a linear path to follow still makes it a corridor style game; one is just indoors while the other is outdoors.

Crysis is as linear as Farcry and FEAR is
Old December 18, 2007, 02:25 PM
Allstar
F@H

But that's the thing, DON'T take away the suit. The suit is part of the gameplay, so don't look at the game as though "well, if the suit wasn't there...". The suit gave the game many more possibility's of how your going to attack said area. And sure, it wasn't as open as Farcry, but with a bit of creativity, you can actually get off the path quite easily. Sure, swim to far in the water, shark eats you, fly to close to the ships, they shoot you, ext. And as for it not having texture, why should it? There is no reason to render an area that they never intended the player to go. Once again, the game isn't as open as Farcry, but yet, it's more open then most shooters that literally have you run along a certain street or tunnel.

See, by the sounds of it, you played through the game without using the suit to it's full potential, which is like saying "without Plasmids, Bioshock is just another FPS", it's part of the game.

EDIT: As linear as Fear? Are you serious? Fear had almost no options to where you are going to go. How is that any way like Crysis, or Farcry?
Old December 18, 2007, 02:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama_egg View Post
But that's the thing, DON'T take away the suit. The suit is part of the gameplay, so don't look at the game as though "well, if the suit wasn't there...". The suit gave the game many more possibility's of how your going to attack said area. And sure, it wasn't as open as Farcry, but with a bit of creativity, you can actually get off the path quite easily. Sure, swim to far in the water, shark eats you, fly to close to the ships, they shoot you, ext. And as for it not having texture, why should it? There is no reason to render an area that they never intended the player to go. Once again, the game isn't as open as Farcry, but yet, it's more open then most shooters that literally have you run along a certain street or tunnel.

See, by the sounds of it, you played through the game without using the suit to it's full potential, which is like saying "without Plasmids, Bioshock is just another FPS", it's part of the game.
I saw absolutely no need 90% of the time to NEED the suit which is why I didn't use it. Sure I used cloak a couple of times but I found that it depleted energy so fast that it wasn't that useful and didn't bother using it.

Everyone is simply giving this game too much credit which it does not need.

Sorry.
Old December 18, 2007, 02:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you didn't move while cloaked it didn't deplete energy, or not very much. I'd just use it to move a short distance between cover when there were some KPAs in sight. Or I'd hide cloaked and snipe from a good spot, re cloaking after each shot.

Speed was good for unarmed sneak attacks or gettin your tail out of a bad situation.

Strength was great for sniping as it kept your sights steady, and I also used it for super jumping here and there.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old December 18, 2007, 03:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default lots of copies for sale

Yea the sales must be bad-went into the EB games or whatever it is and there was a whole section of nothing but Crysis PC games. Never seen anything quite like it so long after a release. NO COD4! but thankfully COH opposing fronts was still about--now COH is a good game. Getting crysis for christmas anyway as I liked the demo

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old December 18, 2007, 07:18 PM
MVP

How one rates their game play experience can be a very personal thing.

IMHO Crysis is a good game and a good example of the very high quality crop of games that came out this season. IMHO it isn't the best example this season though.

I would rank COD4 & Bioshock above Crysis but not by as much as my words may indicate.
Timeshift was also kinda fun to play but IMHO ranks below Crysis.

For me the benchmarks I use to rank current games are past great games like "System Shock" which was an amazing experience & this well before all the DX10 eye candy of today. Deus Ex also comes to mind as well as others.

It's all a personal thing and just goes to show that the game play, performance & story line means may mean more than the graphics ever will, although they are an integral part to a successful gaming experience.
Old December 19, 2007, 02:38 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The disappointing sales would have much to do with the gaming community's interest in the shooter genre. The first-person shooter market is on its knees against the gigantic, internationally ubiquitous allure of MMORPGs. Now, Crysis and UT3 would have enjoyed much more success during simpler times of the industry, such as right before Doom III was released.

These are strange and scary times for PC gamers all around. Totally upside-down of when nobody bothered to play Ultima or Everquest as much as Counter-Strike and Quake.
Old December 19, 2007, 12:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I am not exactly sure people into WOW and EQ would be the ones buying Crysis or HL2 if WOW and EQ didn't exist. There's a really good thread on this topic over at the tweakguides.com forum. Koroush over there has a pretty strong argument for piracy stealing a good chunk of the sales. Couple that with new-ish consoles stealing market share, "scary" hardware requirements for Crysis, a US economy on the brink of recession and you have slumping sales. Retail is down in all sectors throughout the US not just in gaming.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE
Old December 19, 2007, 03:26 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Nono, I don't mean the MMORPG customers would buy Crysis in the absence of their online RPGs. What I meant to say is that there has been a dramatic shift of interest since 1999. It's only been a few years since then and when (I think) the industry completely flipped upside down around 2005. First-person shooters have been a dying breed the day after Half-Life 2 was sold. The younger generation of gamers are hypnotized by the simplicity and maintenance-free nature of our game consoles; and they find the progress of fantasy-driven RPGs another point of interest. The generation of hardcore college "Quakers" has come and gone, but I hope this younger generation will evolve their tastes with time and eventually revitalize the shooter genre.