Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 17, 2007, 08:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

Personally, I'm glad the Crytek engine set the bar so high, but it probably wasn't a very good business decision. If you look at Valve's hardware survey, only about ten percent/70000 of the surveyed are packing an 8800 or 2900 series card, which are pretty much required to have medium settings playable.

Crysis is obviously designed for sequels, and high performance GPU's just got a hell of a lot cheaper recently, so there's hope that they might have a bigger target audience by the time the next release comes out.

On another note, in lieu of these figures, I can't help but think that there are more opinions about Crysis than there are owners...
Old December 17, 2007, 09:24 PM
Allstar
F@H

I agree with you a 100% there MpG. I find it disappointing that people are complaining about a game that really sets the bar for graphics. So what if your machine can't run it on very high, does that make the game? No. Hell, the game looks pretty impressive on medium in my opinion.

Second, it was the singleplayer that made the game stand out. True, if you played Farcry, you know what to expect, considering if you look down deep enough they are similar in almost every way. But yet, wasn't Farcry considered (and still is) a great game that really pushed the envelope? Hell, if I remember right, when Farcry came out, alot of people had trouble running it on highest settings, and to boot, that game is still used as a benchmark today, and how many years old is it now? I don't know, I can't see why people are complaining about a game that won't run on full settings on there rig, maybe I'm the only person who remembers back when parts cost an arm and a leg, and the general public would be lucky to play the next big thing on medium. I personally can't see people going ahead and saying "oh look, that won't run on highest settings, the game must be crap, let's not play it", how does that make any sense at all?

*takes deep breath*

I don't know, I'm just getting a little angry at how tons of people are complaining about the game, saying how much it sucks, when it doesn't. I'm not saying it's a great game, but it was really well done none the less, and all because of it's huge requirements doesn't suddenly make it a bad game. If anything, I'm impressed with the fact that they pushed graphics so far, it's something that needs to be done, I personally don't want to see gaming graphics take a stand still because people are to afraid to move forward. Ugh, enough of that little rant.
Old December 17, 2007, 09:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm always appreciative of a game that is programmed well and offers nice eye candy at decent frame rates to the average PC user- the COD series has always done that- company of heroes is great that way too. I think that's a big part of what makes a game great. Crysis is a good game and broke some ground (I don't think anyone is saying it sucks), but it's inaccessible, and for, if the graphics were awesome it would be worth it, but they're only good, not super. There are, however, alot of good things about the game, and I do think that sales will hobble along for some time as people upgrade their systems.
Old December 17, 2007, 10:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Didn't HL2 set the bar and bring top end machines to their knees when it came out. And Farcry to. It's the same old cycle over and over, nothing new. It's too bad Crysis SP kind of strayed from the groove of the earlier KPA levels. That was fun! Just like Farcry. UT3... I think they blew it on that one just re skinning UT2k4 with no onslaught. Wasn't onslaught da-bomb?

Bioshock for GOTY IMO! Despite some bugs like WS support and a really late patch, it delivered the best SP experience of 2007. With Crysis and OB right behind it.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old December 18, 2007, 11:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

http://ubt.ign.com/record?genre0=first-person&platform_id=20114&reggender=0&network=fim&p =http:[/IMG]

tell me what looks better?

If anyone thinks COD4's graphics are better or near as good as Crysis then they are on crack.

Anyways Crysis also is very moddable and has several dozen mods in the works and that means more free content.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old December 18, 2007, 11:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

To me a game is more about quality and the gameplay.

All Crysis has going for it... eye candy.

Big friggin whoop!
Old December 18, 2007, 12:12 PM
Allstar
F@H

...just eye candy? Are you serious? I'll admit, the story was...lacking, but the gameplay was just plane fun. The suit, while not revolutionary, was quite well done, and move the game away from "Move from checkpoint A to checkpoint B through this hallway by just running and shooting everything that moves" towards more of a "Move from checkpoint A to checkpoint B in any creative fashion you can think of".
Old December 18, 2007, 12:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama_egg View Post
...just eye candy? Are you serious? I'll admit, the story was...lacking, but the gameplay was just plane fun. The suit, while not revolutionary, was quite well done, and move the game away from "Move from checkpoint A to checkpoint B through this hallway by just running and shooting everything that moves" towards more of a "Move from checkpoint A to checkpoint B in any creative fashion you can think of".
The game was totally linear, it wasn't as open as they wanted you to believe; did you ever try leaving the game area? You'd be killed in 4 seconds, and the suit wasn't that great as 90% of the time I wasn't even using it as I found it more of a hindrance than anything.

People keep talking about how the zero-g level was so great, but it wasn't and it again was nothing special. The game play in Crysis can be found in FEAR, COD, Half Life, Quake, RTCW and many others.

This game is seriously getting to much credit for than what it needs.
Old December 18, 2007, 12:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Crysis has a lot more than just eye candy. The first 2/3 of the game are fantastic open environments with excellent gameplay.

Was the game over-hyped... yes. Does that mean the game sucks... no. It's still a great SP game that I will enjoy again. And I am hoping for some really cool mods and added missions from the community to add more value to it as well.

I played the SP demo on my old 7900GS. So I don't know why everyone is crying about requirements. I had to turn everything way down but it still looked ok and I was able to play it. So I agree that graphics do not make a game great. They just add to the experience.

I think sales are down because a bunch of really big games all got released within a pretty short period of time. That's fairly unusual. The market is split between so many good games that probably none of them are doing as well as expected, except Halo 3, but that's another story. Crysis is also the only PC exclusive title out of all those great games released. The rest are available on multiple platforms so that's going to make a difference in sales as well. And UT3, well it's just UT... again. So no kidding it's not doing so well. Everyone already owns it in some other form :\

I wonder how PC games in general are doing this year? More and more consoles being sold all the time. And Guitar Hero 3 seems like the game of Xmas 2007.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
The game was totally linear, it wasn't as open as they wanted you to believe; did you ever try leaving the game area? You'd be killed in 4 seconds, and the suit wasn't that great as 90% of the time I wasn't even using it as I found it more of a hindrance than anything.
Really??? I used the suit powers all the time. Cloak, strength and even speed. It was another dimension of the game that you maybe just needed to explore more or get used to. I'll admit I would have preferred to press a key for my suit powers as opposed to using the mouse wheel button. But I got the hang of it and used the powers a lot.

Not sure about "leaving the game area". I'll have to check that one out. I thought I was quite the explorer?

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE

Last edited by Thund3rball; December 18, 2007 at 12:30 PM.
Old December 18, 2007, 12:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

Take for example the level where you need to secure the harbour.

If you keep heading down the road past the mine and the drop ship you'll come to a spot in the road that is destroyed and if you jump in the water and swim you'll get a warning to turn back or you have 4 seconds and will be killed.

So I tried this and yup died; so I turned on god mod and kept going and it turns into what seems to be a single texture area that does keep going but they will kill you.

Again I don't understand how the gameplay was so great? Take away the suit and how can you say the game play is so great? Its exactly like playing any other FPS out there.