Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 13, 2010, 03:26 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Post Vindictus

The Vindictus Open Beta is now live. For those of you that don't know what it is, it is a free to play MMORPG that is actually good. Its hack and slash kind of like Devil May Cry, but less technical as it is still early. The Korean version, known as Mabinogi Heroes has introduced some new XE (Xtreme Edition) servers which include jumping, and air attacks. I will leave a HD intro video of it with actual game play below, as well as the site, and download link.

All characters, items, money, weapons, and so on created during closed, and open beta will not be wiped and carry over to retail release as well.

HD Video
YouTube - The best MMORPG : Mabinogi Heroes (Vindictus) [HD]

Vindictus Website
Vindictus

Downloader
Vindictus

Old October 13, 2010, 03:51 PM
Banned
F@H

interesting. so youre saying its time to build a character till its out of beta?
Old October 13, 2010, 04:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Nice. I wasn't expecting the server to be up for a few more hours yet.
Old October 14, 2010, 02:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

'MMORPG that is actually good' you lost me at that
Old October 14, 2010, 04:30 AM
MVP

Games like these only work well in Korea, because their internet is very good and is a much smaller country. In NA, you're just gonna get a crap load of lag.
And "MMORPG that's actually good" is just lol.
Old October 14, 2010, 06:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungMan View Post
Games like these only work well in Korea, because their internet is very good and is a much smaller country. In NA, you're just gonna get a crap load of lag.
And "MMORPG that's actually good" is just lol.
I would say overburdened servers has more to do with the lag, than slower connections. That and server location.

Is this game in anyway related to Mabinogi (not the Mabinogi Heroes you mention)?
Old October 14, 2010, 06:33 AM
Allstar

Free, as in real free, or free as in... when beta is over you have to pay or you must pay to enjoy all the features of the game?

Old October 14, 2010, 07:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Free, as in real free, or free as in... when beta is over you have to pay or you must pay to enjoy all the features of the game?
I would imagine like most Korean (and other Eastern Asian countries) MMOs, it will be free to play but have micro-transactions which will provide people who pay advantages over those that don't.
Old October 14, 2010, 07:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

The dungeon instances (the vast majority of the game) are also highly p2p, and the servers are labelled regionally, so lag isn't usually a big deal unless you get a lousy host starting a party.

It's basically microtransaction. You get a set amount of tokens that refresh twice a week, that let you run instances. If you want to run more than that, you can buy more. Can also buy things like storage and extra pots, the usual. So far, buyable advantages are minimal, although since it's still OB, that's obviously subject to change in the future. I've seen it mentioned that a significant portion of the Asian servers income is actually from cosmetics, which would be nice if true.
Old October 14, 2010, 10:15 AM
Allstar

When a game offers transactions, no matter how minimal it is, i consider it free to try, but not free to play. I don't like the idea of playing a game and realising later that i should pay to enjoy it fully. Yeah sorry im that negative, but that's a serious that annoys me with mmorpgs.

Tags
vindictus mmorpg nexon