Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 14, 2010, 10:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
The dungeon instances (the vast majority of the game) are also highly p2p, and the servers are labelled regionally, so lag isn't usually a big deal unless you get a lousy host starting a party.

It's basically microtransaction. You get a set amount of tokens that refresh twice a week, that let you run instances. If you want to run more than that, you can buy more. Can also buy things like storage and extra pots, the usual. So far, buyable advantages are minimal, although since it's still OB, that's obviously subject to change in the future. I've seen it mentioned that a significant portion of the Asian servers income is actually from cosmetics, which would be nice if true.

So parts of the game(s) are hosted on a local machine using a P2P protocol? That's not going to play well on some networks once the P2P traffic is recognised and automatically throttled.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 14, 2010, 02:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
So parts of the game(s) are hosted on a local machine using a P2P protocol? That's not going to play well on some networks once the P2P traffic is recognised and automatically throttled.
I'm not sure about the specifics of the exact protocol, but there's definitely a little extra burden on whoever's the hoster of the party, as some people found out pretty quick that they could play but not lead. My own connection is solid, but limited to 56k upstream, but I never had any trouble during all of the early OB, even when I led parties.

I guess it depends on what the filters are looking for - the info packets may be no different than what's used on other multi-player games, except for less server-side, and extra client-side. If it was an issue, I would expected a lot of people to post about it, but that never seemed to happen.
Old October 14, 2010, 06:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
I'm not sure about the specifics of the exact protocol, but there's definitely a little extra burden on whoever's the hoster of the party, as some people found out pretty quick that they could play but not lead. My own connection is solid, but limited to 56k upstream, but I never had any trouble during all of the early OB, even when I led parties.

I guess it depends on what the filters are looking for - the info packets may be no different than what's used on other multi-player games, except for less server-side, and extra client-side. If it was an issue, I would expected a lot of people to post about it, but that never seemed to happen.
Depends on how the traffic is seen on the network. Pretty sure it was CoD that played havoc with Rogers customers because it looked exactly like P2P traffic and was being throttled once it was recognised as such. Even worse.... the game would poll the individual connections prior to start in order to automatically asign host duties to the "best" connections (no in game selection to say no), and Rogers customers were being chosen well over 50% of the time.... Worked great for all of about 1 minute for the system to identify the game data as P2P, and then trottle it which caused everybody to drop.

T'wasn't pretty...... ;)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Tags
vindictus mmorpg nexon