Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 12, 2010, 07:20 PM
MVP

Default Blizzard e-mail, Legit??

Got a e-mail a few days ago, that after a short google search turned out to be some phishing attempt.

Then today I received this e-mail>

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,
This is an automated notification regarding your Battle.net account. Some or all of your contact information was recently modified through the Account Management website.
*** If you made recent account changes, please disregard this automatic notification.

*** If you did NOT make any changes to your account, we recommend you log in to
Account Management review your account settings.
If you cannot sign into Account Management using the link above, or if unauthorized changes continue to happen, please contact Blizzard Billing & Account Services for further assistance.
Billing & Account Services can be reached at 1-800-59-BLIZZARD (1-800-592-5499 Mon-Fri, 8AM-8PM Pacific Time) or at billing@blizzard.com.
Account security is solely the responsibility of the accountholder. Please be advised that in the event of a compromised account, Blizzard representatives will typically lock the account. In these cases the Account Administration team will require faxed receipt of ID materials before releasing the account for play.
Regards,
The Battle.net Support Team
Blizzard Entertainment
www.blizzard.com/support

Online Privacy Policy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guess I could give them a call...

Edit: Clicked on Account Management out of curiousity, was prompted with a red screen warning me of "web forgery".

Hmmm...it looked pretty official to me, can't trust anything with e-mails though.
Old October 12, 2010, 07:23 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

The Account Management link points to this domain: www.battle.net-wowadmin-notice-security.com

So yeah, I think it's pretty goddamn obvious this is a scam...
Old October 12, 2010, 07:26 PM
MVP

Yeh, it is pretty goddamn obvious.

I didn't click anything in the e-mail out of concern though. Thanks for your pleasant reply

At least this can serve as a warning to other's.
Old October 12, 2010, 07:27 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Ever since SC2 I've been getting a ton of these Blizzard fake e-mails, even for Blizzard games I don't own Been getting about 1 every 2-3 days.

Happens with other "account info" as well from companies like NCSoft and stuff.
I just mouse over the URL (not clicking) to see if it is a legit URL.

Even if it is, I will go directly to the URL (aka www.blizzard.com/battle.net) and they should ALWAYS prompt you for action within the account. E-Mail is NEVER the only way they notify you.

As Zero said, the email is not legit, they rarely are.
Old October 12, 2010, 07:41 PM
Banned
F@H

get the likes of this on a daily basis. the junk/spam folder is there fort a reason.

by default most emails should restrict incoming emails. so if you dont have yours set on high security wise, maybe its a good time to now :)
Old October 12, 2010, 08:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

www.b1izzard.com, anyone (don't click)? I checked it out on a school computer - picture-perfect imitation of the real thing, even the links go to legit pages. Of course, if you actually try to log in...

They're getting pretty good at it, have to give them that much. They've come a long way from the drunken-babelfish specials of yesterday. Sadly enough, I'm beginning to suspect that their literacy may exceed some of what leaves our schools these days.