Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 12, 2010, 11:15 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Suggested Games for an Old Man

Well, I am putting together a new computer (i7-930 w/ GTX 460 video card) and hope to try out some modern games but (you knew there was a but coming) I have never gotten the hang of complex game controllers like on PS3 etc. So if the game involves multiple button combinations to get the job done most likely I will lose interest. Also if it requires me to RTFM I might lose interest. I am looking for some suggestions that a non-gamer mid 40's guy could play. Maybe FPS, maybe something with some strategy, puzzles, etc. Easy to play but complex to master? Crazy cool graphics would be a plus. Also tell me what you really like about that game that other games don't have. I think the last game I actually bought was Doom maybe 20 years ago. Kind of dates me, eh?
Old October 12, 2010, 11:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Do you think playing the game is enjoyment enough, or do you feel the need to be able to win it fairly quickly?

If you want something you can sink you teeth into, but which might take a while to master (and actually put some checkmarks in the win column), I always have been and always will be a strong supporter of the Civilization series.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 12, 2010, 11:31 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

The new civilization 5 is an assesible addictive time sync. Give that a go for Turn based strategy. Company of heroes is the only real time strategy game I ever played, very enjoyable, fields of fire, cover and range factor in and best of all, for us old guys, it allows you to pause the game and cue up orders.

Start with the half life 2 series for a go at a great FPS.Then you can do FEAR, Call of Duty and Crysis.
Old October 12, 2010, 11:42 AM
Allstar

I like Battlefield II, I play as sniper, so it’s not too fast moving. I need to use only the AWDS direction buttons and I use the side button of the mouse for crouch.
Old October 12, 2010, 12:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonanza2000 View Post
Well, I am putting together a new computer (i7-930 w/ GTX 460 video card) and hope to try out some modern games but (you knew there was a but coming) I have never gotten the hang of complex game controllers like on PS3 etc. So if the game involves multiple button combinations to get the job done most likely I will lose interest. Also if it requires me to RTFM I might lose interest. I am looking for some suggestions that a non-gamer mid 40's guy could play. Maybe FPS, maybe something with some strategy, puzzles, etc. Easy to play but complex to master? Crazy cool graphics would be a plus. Also tell me what you really like about that game that other games don't have. I think the last game I actually bought was Doom maybe 20 years ago. Kind of dates me, eh?
Might I suggest:

Hahaha <3

Actually what about trying the Bioshock series? Not too many buttons I don't think.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 12, 2010, 12:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I'll tip my hat for Team Fortress 2. It's not a terribly demanding game, and the graphics/art-style are cartoony; think Pixar with people's limbs and organs flying left, right and center. Unlike a lot of FPS games, this one is class-based, so you have a selection of units. You can either be a medic and run around healing your team-mates, or a 'Pyro' and light suckers on fire. The game isn't terribly hard to get into and can be a real blast for new players, and yet remains nuanced enough for those who are advanced. I've found the playerbase to be quite different from the 'Call of Duty' set, because the game has a certain degree of humour and charm and requires teamwork.

Often, Valve offers trial weekends for the game through it's 'Steam' service, so if you are interested, keep an eye out for a free weekend. If you enjoy it, you can snag the game for about 10 bucks during those weekends.

Another really good choice would be Fallout 3. Grabbing the 'Game of the Year' addition gives you several extra 'expansions' to an already amazing game. The graphics aren't terribly amazing, but the story, and overall immersiveness easily make up for the shortcomings.
Old October 12, 2010, 12:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

encorp...funny!...us over 40 guys still like a good game of crib every now and then

Just a thought, you could invest in a good steering wheel (G25/27) or a good set of flight controllers for racing/flight sims, I prefer them mostly because I suck at most of the FPS type games for the same reason as you, well, that and arthritis keeps me from playing for any length of time so I end up bored with them. I do still enjoy trying to play most of the newer games but I really have fun with F1 2010, DiRT2, Burnout Paradise and MS Flight Sim X and the like, I'm hooked on F1 and can play for hours!

Old October 12, 2010, 05:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

you might like bioshock, if you are indeed old, it might feel like home =P
Asus p6x58d-e / i7 930 @ 4ghz / G.skill 1600mhz 2x3gb 9-9-9-24 / Corsair TX750 / XFX HD 6850 1GB x2 @ 870/1070/ Coolermaster HAF 932 / Noctua nh12-up / Western Digital 500g Caviar black /Western Digital 1TB Caviar black 60Gb/ Seagate 7200.11 500g / OCZ Vertex 3 SSD / Samsung 2253BW / G5 / MX518 /

Old October 12, 2010, 05:37 PM
MVP

My System Specs

thanks for all the suggestions! Looks like I got lots of choices now. First though I got to build the monster. I hope to get the parts by Friday! Wheeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!
Old October 12, 2010, 06:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Orange Box: in particular HL2, Ep1, Ep2, Portal
Bioshock: use the pause feature to select your weapon(s) in heated situations
Borderlands: simple shooty shooty loot filled level up fun.
Tomb Raider Anniversary, Legends & Underworld (puzzles & adventure)
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (puzzles & action)
FEAR / FEAR 2
Dawn of War 2 (RPG/RTS) pretty straight forward but can be fun

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE