Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 10, 2010, 05:55 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Left 4 Dead 2 -Modding?

I purchased L4D2 ages ago from steam while steam did not advertise you would be buying a filtered version if you live in Australia.

Since it's release I have not even played it for more than two hours and I am pretty determined to make it uncensored so I can experience all of the lovely gore the designers wanted us to experience...

I was hoping someone could tell me if my idea would work at all.. and this is it, I want to download a US version of the game (considering I have already purchased it I don't see why this would be a problem) and then with the files I downloaded just copy them to their respective files in my steam folder.

Then.. just delete the download and old files, Would this work or am I going to just render the game unplayable lol? I thought it could if I did it right.. but then I guess every update would mean I had to do this again lol.. or not..

Can anyone tell me lol?

Thanks!
Old October 10, 2010, 06:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's super easy to fix.

How to uncensor Australian Left 4 Dead 2 (L4D2 uncut)

Or if you purchase a copy from the US/UK it's completely uncensored but still playable there.

So I'm sure you could do a file replacement if you figured out all the ones you needed but I think that Valve didn't really try to hard when censoring the game.. It's pretty easy to google fix's and ways to get around the censorship.

Be careful though, any modifications you do will render it "not steam registered" and you won't be able to see the servers etc to connect... so the way you do it has to be careful in order for it to still be playable.

Although if someone gifts you a copy on steam, you can get around the gore that way too.

Start googling!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 10, 2010, 07:38 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks, believe me I have tried google'ing over and over haha. The only "fix" I get it that one the 510 thing but that does not actually fix it 100% you cant achieve achievements with it on and you can only connect to other 510 mod users.

I wish they advertised it being a censored version, if I had known I would have ordered it in from the US/UK.
Old October 10, 2010, 08:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah; maybe buy another copy.. it sucks but if you pay 20 bucks ish, and get someone to gift you then you should be good.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 10, 2010, 09:36 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I won't be buying another copy, too stubborn lol I felt ripped off when I found out about the censor when I played the demo but assumed they would make an optional patch for it later with would have been legal (In Australia) but no such thing came..

So I won't be wasting any more money just for gore, I'd rather play the censored version.

Thanks for your help mate.
Old October 12, 2010, 03:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

L4D2 servers suck, or is that just me. The game actually runs better when I run it off my computer (4 people, i7). Is that normal, first that its hard to find an actual server and that when it cant its actually better when run off my own?