Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 23, 2010, 11:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

OH NOES SORRY FOR SAYING CIV 5 AN RTS. How many lashings is that.
Old September 23, 2010, 12:29 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Huge fan of the total war and age of empire series, not to mention, the command and conquer series, not including the latest CnC4.

There are 1001 gripes going on about the latest total war titles, but i must say i quite enjoyed Empire. Then again, I am a huge fan of the the time era Empire and Age of Empires III is staged in. Im also a casual gamer (single player as far as the TW series go). I got a hold off napoleon on sale, but have barely touched it, as im currently enjoying the grand campaigns of Empire.

I would really like to see a refresh of some older TW titles, while they are epic in their gameplay, the graphics to me make them bareable, but it does bring back some memories. I'm glad to see shogun making a return, but I was thinking more in the lines of rome/medieval.

Rig // PC-A7010 :: 1050W :: Rampage :: Q6600 :: 8GB :: GTX 260
X25-V :: 4x 1TB RAID-5 :: 2x 1TB RAID-1 :: 4x 1.5TB :: 1x 2TB
G15v2 :: MX-518 :: Xonar DX :: 7 Pro x64

2408WFP :: DT770/80 :: Onkyo TX-SR605 :: Klipsch RB-61 :: SVS PB10-NSD
Old September 24, 2010, 10:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I am not a huge RTS fan but my faves are:

Homeworld
Dawn of War 1
Red Alert 3

I'd have to say that Homeworld also holds the best video game soundtrack of all time label imho... well actually I think it's tied with AC2 now for that title.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old September 24, 2010, 10:31 PM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpd1983 View Post
RTS's are great

My favourite would have to be the Supreme Commander series (the first one and forged alliance are best)

But i have pretty much played them all and for me personally none other has as much depth or detail

Good when you have challenging players to play against

Cheers,

M

I really enjoyed Supreme Commander as well, I should have put it in there as an honorable mention at least. Played with my nephew online a few times and I found that it was really fun to play a game where he wouldn't just snipe me before I could get my bearings (I suck at most FPSs).

It's not the common man that's important at all. It's the uncommon man.
Old September 24, 2010, 10:41 PM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Quarter View Post
Huge fan of the total war and age of empire series, not to mention, the command and conquer series, not including the latest CnC4.

There are 1001 gripes going on about the latest total war titles, but i must say i quite enjoyed Empire. Then again, I am a huge fan of the the time era Empire and Age of Empires III is staged in. Im also a casual gamer (single player as far as the TW series go). I got a hold off napoleon on sale, but have barely touched it, as im currently enjoying the grand campaigns of Empire.

I would really like to see a refresh of some older TW titles, while they are epic in their gameplay, the graphics to me make them bareable, but it does bring back some memories. I'm glad to see shogun making a return, but I was thinking more in the lines of rome/medieval.
I really enjoyed Empire as well. I can understand when people say that the battles are somewhat easy, but I find that the grand campaign is really challenging enough if you play on VH / VH and set it to World Domination as the objective. Also a lot of people have complained that they encountered glitch after glitch as far as hardware compatibility goes, but I have not had this problem...

Can't wait for Shogun 2! Seems to me that they are sticking their necks out for this one, but I hope they will come through in the end.

It's not the common man that's important at all. It's the uncommon man.
Old September 29, 2010, 06:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My favourite RTS's would be....

Total War series (Number 1 favourite)
Men of War series(number 2 favourite)
Starcraft series
Homeworld series
Command and Conquer series(although I don't like the newer ones)
Age of Empires series
Dawn of War 1 and expansions.
Rise of Nations
Company of Heroes
Ruse
Starwars Empire at War (not that great of a game but like pretty lasers!)
Sins of a Solar Empire
I guess Battle stations Pacific but that more action than RTS.
World in Conflict
Hearts of Iron 3 (not really RTS either)

I am sure I could think of more older ones.....

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old September 29, 2010, 08:18 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Age of Empires... Man that was a fun game. My all time favorite RTS, probably just because I have good memories with that game... It's still a lot of fun.

I still have hope.

They need to make a AOE4 or AOM2
Old September 30, 2010, 08:59 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If you like ww2 RTS, try Men of War Men of War
Some of the voices and cut scenes aren't as glitzy as other games, but it's very realistic, and I have had a lot of fun playing it, and i still haven't gotten around to finishing the game or playing online multiplayer. I never tried Company of Heroes, but i was a big fan of games like Command and Conquer and Dune 2.
Old September 30, 2010, 08:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nige View Post
If you like ww2 RTS, try Men of War Men of War
Some of the voices and cut scenes aren't as glitzy as other games, but it's very realistic, and I have had a lot of fun playing it, and i still haven't gotten around to finishing the game or playing online multiplayer. I never tried Company of Heroes, but i was a big fan of games like Command and Conquer and Dune 2.
Try company of heroes! Great game and you can get it for like 10 bucks. COH is similar to Men of War just more arcady. Still a lot of fun but IMO not as good as MOW.

Men of War is my 2nd favourite strategy game of all time only beaten by RTW(because of rome total realism mod).

I love Men of War and the multiplayer is the best part. I love co-op play with a friend or up to 4 players online. Also love the online battles were it is all about strategy and not a click fest. The fog of war in this game is by far the best in any strategy game ever made. Nothing is more satisfying than taking a humble man behind an enemy tank and destroying it because the guy didn't take the time to check behind his tank.

I love how every bullet is tracked so in order to do damage you have to hit the target. I also think this game has some of the best physics for strategy rivaling almost all FPS's. This game also has the best vehicle damage model in an RTS that beats every FPS as well. If you have a small tank you will never penetrate a heavy tanks armor from the front. With heavy tanks you can shoot through multiple light tanks if they are lined up. You can damage individual parts of a tank. Like shoot of either the left or right tread. Damaging the engine. Damaging the turret, Main gun, or penetrating the hull. The repair the tank.

It is so fun to defeat an enemy tank with a smaller tank. You disable lets say the main gun and the crew of the tank abandons the tank without destroying it and you take over that tank with your tank crew from your crappy tank and then repair it and use it against them.

I love how heavier tanks can drive through buildings or hide them in a building. Nothing is more fun destroying the enemy from inside a house or barn without the enemy know where it came from. I also love it that armor piercing rounds can go through buildings although weakening the shot but with big enough tanks it can still easily penetrate armor.

I love that because of the advanced fog of war you can actually ambush someone and win with far less troops if the enemy is stupid.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old October 4, 2010, 12:36 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Everything you said is why i like it so much! It's awesome to take control of an individual tank or soldier, as well as make your own groups of units. The inventory system is awesome and adds a whole new level of realism to the game. You can scavenge dead friendly and enemy weapons and ammo, reload guns, fix tanks etc. It's such a detailed game that is full of strategy. I want to play it right now, but I am still waiting to hear back from gigabyte about my RMA ticket for the motherboard. I wish they would port it for mac too, then i could play it on my laptop. I loved nailing columns of english tanks with the 88mm *HULL DESTROYED*. Or taking control of a lowly conscript and using a molotov cocktail to destroy a panzer or armored vehicle. Sometimes the game gets a bit busy and that's where I think playing co-op with a few friends would make it so much fun, but the AI is pretty good.

wow $10 bucks is nothing for CoH!, i will download it and play as soon as I get a bit sick of MoW. I paid $20 for Men of War and it's amazing value for such a great game. I think I would get the same from CoH.