Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 11, 2007, 05:30 AM
MVP

Default What to play? Haven't played anything new since D2...

Yes, yes, I know...

I was stuck in D2 land since it came out I recently stopped playing it and uninstalled it finally after..what 5 or 6 years of playing it everyday almost.

I need a new game and don't know what to play. I like getting addicted to a game personally and investing time into it.

Waiting for D3 or Dominion of Diablo or whatever they want to call it.

I was thinking of WoW or GW or maybe Oblivion or EQ2 ...I don't really know. I like a game where I can collect items items and where the community has an economy. I still play and enjoy WC2 and was thinking of getting WC3 as well I still play original Doom and Doom2 as well as Quake 2 and Quake 3 as far as fps'ers go.

I like fps sometimes but they get boring for me after a while, same old thing over and over, thats how I see it anyways. I like to build chars and tweak and work on them until perfect as I see it anyways...

Any ideas?
Old December 11, 2007, 04:19 PM
Allstar
F@H

Haha, was D3 even announced yet? I thought it was still a rumor as they are currently working on Starcraft 2.

Ok, as for RPG, by the looks of it your going for more of an MMORPG feel. Let's start listing what's out shall we?

The main reason why I enjoy Guild Wars was because of not having to worry about $15/month, and the mixing 2 classes together was just interesting as hell. But on the other hand, I hated maxing my level in a day, just bored me. Now because it seems as though your looking for a true economy, I would ignore it, because from what I've seen (mind you it was a year ago) there was no economy to speak of.

World of Warcraft (or I prefer World of Warcrack) I find to be quite fun, as long as your playing Horde that is. Alliance from my experience is made up of almost completely of 12 year olds who complain about everything. It does have a huge economy, and every server will differs. I believe the just release a new patch that makes your mid-high level gaining faster, which I almost jumped back in because of that. Personally it was one of my most enjoyed MMORPG's, and I keep coming back when I get bored.

Next would be EQ2. I haven't played this in ages. Got bored of it pretty quickly though, I find that it's way to much grinding, and nothing to really keep my attention. And other then the integrated collectible card game..think...I wouldn't even remotely be looking back at it.

Oblivion is a good game, but as for a community and economy. Not really. Considering there is no multilayer, thus the economy is already pre-set. On the other hand, it is quite an expansive RPG with very pretty graphics, though the main quest sucks. I still prefer Morrowind over it.

As for FPS, I must say if you really are looking to get back into it, grab Team Fortress 2, I don't know how much I can stress how good of a game it is. I'm sorry, but it became my number one online FPS of all time. Pure addiction and entertainment. And unlike games like counter strike, it really does require good team work (ok, let me clarify things, in CS, if your in a clan and scrim, team work is important, but if your pubbing, well, you don't need to use team work if you really don't feel like it).

Or, just throwing this out there, get the oldie Baulders Gate 2, possibly in my opinion one of the top RPG's ever made. Period. I'm sorry, sure, you can speed run the game in under a day, but if your playing it for the story and the game play, your looking at easily 50+ hours. Especially with the expansion, Throne of Baal, which is so huge it's pretty much it's own game. Though I have a feeling you would really be hard pressed to find people to play with these days so it's pretty much a pure offline experience.

If you give me more idea's what your looking for I can probably expand on idea's more :P
Old December 11, 2007, 04:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Maybe try HellGate London? It's pretty cool. I'm also real big into FPS. Crysis, BioShock, TF2, COD4, they are all great games.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old December 11, 2007, 04:59 PM
Allstar
F@H

Hellgate London is...interesting, not bad, but not great. I personally would say wait another 3 months before picking it up, see what they do with it. Plus, last time I played, there was almost no economy at all, considering trading is pretty annoying to complete. Also, some characters are just bad, for example, the sniper. Skills, what good skills? There is nothing that really stands out as "Oooh, I need that for my build". I personally find that the engineer is so overpowered it's not funny, especially at higher levels. Get a friend or two, if your all engineers your mowing everything down without breaking a sweat. But once again, the game isn't bad, it's just nothing...great...at least not yet anyway.
Old December 11, 2007, 05:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm all about the SP FPS.

Bioshock is THE game of 2007 IMHO. Great story, characters, sound, art direction, game play, everything. Many complained because it has no MP or is too easy. I like it because it is highly immersing for an FPS. Using your imagination to take on enemies with weird and wonderful superpowers and booby traps is a big win! Huge attention to details in this game.

Crysis is an awesome technical achievement, but it loses the groove of what's good about it in the later levels. The KPA missions are the best. I could have played more of those, that's for sure.

Orange Box is a hell of a deal! You have to play Portal because it is so unique and fun. TF2 is a blast even for me. And you get all the HL2 games you'll ever want all in one Orange Box.

Since you mentioned Quake and Doom I'll have to say that the SP in Quake 4 is quite good. Pretty straight forward shooter with some vehicle missions and all very enjoyable. And I have seen it at NCIX for $10.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old December 11, 2007, 06:27 PM
Allstar
F@H

You should probably mention more about RPG's, considering that's what he is mainly looking for, shooters are just something he will play, but he does get bored of them.

As for bioshock, yes a good game, but not GOTY, it has it's problems. My main problem was it was pretty much system shock 2 reskined, but though the game had a good story line, great graphics, and an amazing soundtrack, it still isn't good enough considering what else came out. Truthfully, my GOTY would go to Portal, just because of how ingenious it really is. Out of all the PC games that came out this year, what one has gotten people's attention to such a level that is has pretty much turned into a cult? I'm serious, people baking the games cake, people yelling out "the cake is not a lie", and every forum has at least one quote from the ending song. I'm making a note here, huge success ! Though if I had to guess, Crysis or CoD4 is going to win it in the long run (I'm sorry, Spike TV game awards do not count).

Let see, quake 4 I was in the beta, was bored of it after 2 days. The hoverboard was a blast to mess around on, but other then that, it's staying far away from my computer

Oh, speaking of RPG's, I've heard great things about The Witcher, though once again, it will be an offline experience. Though sadly, other then MMORPGS, RPG's for the PC have been pretty thin this year, though Neverwinter Nights 2 and the expansion are out, but still. Once again, if your looking for an MMORPG, I would really recommend WoW over the other 2. This is being called the year of the shooter for a reason!
Old December 12, 2007, 01:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama_egg View Post
You should probably mention more about RPG's, considering that's what he is mainly looking for, shooters are just something he will play, but he does get bored of them.
Ya I know but as I said I'm all about the FPS. RPGs bore me .

Quote:
As for bioshock, yes a good game, but not GOTY, it has it's problems. My main problem was it was pretty much system shock 2 reskined, but though the game had a good story line, great graphics, and an amazing soundtrack, it still isn't good enough considering what else came out. Truthfully, my GOTY would go to Portal, just because of how ingenious it really is.
Agreed Portal was AWESOME but I still like Bioshock for GOTY. Personal opinion. And ya, I doubt either Portal or Bioshock will really win. Proly Crysis or COD4 as you say.

Quote:
Let see, quake 4 I was in the beta, was bored of it after 2 days. The hoverboard was a blast to mess around on, but other then that, it's staying far away from my computer
Well I said it was pretty straight forward shooter. And if he liked Qauke and Doom before he'd probably like this one.

Quote:
Oh, speaking of RPG's, I've heard great things about The Witcher, though once again, it will be an offline experience.
Ya actually I heard great things about it to. Had no idea it wasn't an online game? As I said I don't really RPG so I can't say for sure what's what here.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old December 12, 2007, 01:44 PM
Top Prospect

Aww damn when I read that you played D2 and you were waiting for D3 I thought you were playing this D2 game

Got my hopes up for nothing

has anyone played this game? I found it to be a good game. The story line was messed, something to do with the Y2K bug
Old December 12, 2007, 06:00 PM
MVP

Great replies all.

Yes, they haven't publicly announced D3 yet as they are working on Starcraft 2 but the Diablo team must be working on it by now, sheesh D2 came out in 1999, Diablo in 1996.

Hrm yes I will most likely be looking at WoW first and see how that goes. Yeah I have heard about the twelve year olds in it I also heard that that is why people shift to EQ2, that's why I mentioned that one.

I didn't mention HGL for the same reasons post upon. I was looking forward to it as this was to be my 'new' game of addiction but when it was released we were let down so I'll wait. If I am going to pay to play a game then I expect it to have a certain amount of polish. Obviously nothing is perfect nor do I expect that but at least a game should be playable and enjoyable. HGL is in what I call the second beta which is what this should be. They rushed it IMHO, too bad too cause they lost a big chunk of their would-be community that may never try it out now.

Yes I too like single player fps's and like a good story. I see Quake 2 as one of the best single player fps I have ever played, just my opinion of course.

I haven't tried FEAR, Farcry or any of those yet either. I heard DooM 3 wasw good as well and will probably pick that one up as well as Quake 4, Farcry, FEAR and Crysis.

When to comes to me and multi player fps's I prefer team play over DM as DM gets old fast for me. I really liked the original HL CTF , TFC and those but when CS came out everyone stopped playing those which sucked for me. So I basically tuned out of HL. I still like a good DM don't get me wrong and that is why I play Quake 3 still as I find it the best DM I have tried. As I have said I haven't played anything newer yet.

Thanks again for the replies guys.
Old December 12, 2007, 06:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Nice choices! Farcry is one of my all time faves. Play that before you play Crysis. FEAR was wicked on the atmosphere. Straight ahead shooter with real creep factor!

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE