Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 17, 2010, 07:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Minecraft

Not sure if anyone has heard of this yet or not but this game is actually pretty cool! It's an indie game developed by a couple of guys out in Sweden I believe? It's basically a huge sandbox game with randomly generated worlds.

You must mine for different types of minerals and materials and use those to craft into new objects. There IS some combat in this game since most of the mobs will come out at night and try to attack you if they see you. I think there is only one kind of mob that is out during the day time. You guys should take a look, the game is in Alpha right now - BUT you can buy it right now for around $13 dollars I believe. Once you buy it, it's yours you won't have to pay for the full version when it's out. Apparently they also say the price will go up when it hits beta and of course when it is released.

It looks like they are constantly updating it with new features and game modes etc. There is also multiplayer as well. If you want you can play the free version which is an old version of the game that only really allows you to build stuff where in the Alpha version you can craft and there is combat, etc.

Ya obviously the graphics look old school but thats the look they were going for I guess, and it would definitely not be the same if it wasn't a block based game. I don't really know what to show you guys for a youtube video but here is a tutorial basically explaining how to start off the game.

I've also included some useful links!! :D

Crafting Recipes
Item/Block ID's -- MUST be running an SMP server and have op status. type "/give <playername> <Item/Block ID> <amount>"
Server Wrappers/Mods
Mappers/Map editors
Survival Alpha Server list

Minecraft
Index page - Minecraft Forum - Official Minecraft Forums

YouTube - Minecraft Alpha Tutorial - How to Survive your First Night

Last edited by headsh0t; October 5, 2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old September 24, 2010, 11:06 AM
Top Prospect

Read an article the other day about how well this gaming is doing financially something like 2400 downloads a day
Old September 24, 2010, 11:08 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I got the game two nights ago. Ever since, I've failed to hand in any assingment or homework. And now I believe I have OCD. But it's a really good game, recommended to anyone!
Old September 24, 2010, 11:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by btecanada View Post
Read an article the other day about how well this gaming is doing financially something like 2400 downloads a day
He made $250,000 in 1 day a few times recently. Paypal freezed his account with roughly $1 million in it because of "suspicious levels of profit".

This is 1 guy.

Not many games are, or ever will be, this successful.
Old September 24, 2010, 11:36 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Wow that's very awesome for that one guy, I play it a lot to kill some time with my friends. Usually when someone skypes me and i just get bored and decide i want to play something.
"My brother is dead. He's not here Anymore. But on my back, and in my heart...He lives on in me. I will make a hole through heaven itself, even if that hole becomes my grave. As long as I break through, I will be victorious.Who the **** do you think I am?"
Old September 24, 2010, 11:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ya Minecraft is all over the Shack and RPS. Haven't played it myself but it sounds pretty brilliant.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old September 24, 2010, 11:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ya Minecraft is all over the Shack and RPS. Haven't played it myself but it sounds pretty brilliant.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old September 24, 2010, 12:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yup, it is doing extremely well for an indie game, that guy must be lovin it. It definately gets addictive for some strange reason. Mine, craft more tools for more mining, build, repeat. LOL It is much funner playing on a server, etiher with friends or with randoms. Check out minecraftforum.net for private and public servers. I tried out a few public servers the other day, but you'd probably want to get on a private server if possible. Playing by yourself takes waaaaay too long to build stuff.
Old September 24, 2010, 12:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Bought it last night... insanely addictive. One of my gaming communities setup a fresh server so we don't have to worry about randoms looting and destroying our cities :P
Old September 24, 2010, 12:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

only way to get it is through paypal?
Asus p6x58d-e / i7 930 @ 4ghz / G.skill 1600mhz 2x3gb 9-9-9-24 / Corsair TX750 / XFX HD 6850 1GB x2 @ 870/1070/ Coolermaster HAF 932 / Noctua nh12-up / Western Digital 500g Caviar black /Western Digital 1TB Caviar black 60Gb/ Seagate 7200.11 500g / OCZ Vertex 3 SSD / Samsung 2253BW / G5 / MX518 /