Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 20, 2011, 06:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

SKYMTL seems to be the only person on HWC that has problems with Steam. Steam must hate you lol

Imo, companies use Facebook and Twitter because of free marketing and to appeal to younger audiences. I know quite a bit of adults that are very active on Facebook too.
Old June 20, 2011, 10:35 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Civ V, Mafia II, F1 2010, Mass Effect 2 and Dirt 3. I guess I am more likely to encounter issues since I continually use a ton of games in parallel for benchmarking purposes.
I've got Dirt 3 on Steam and I have no issues with it.

What sort of problem(s) are you experiencing?
Old June 20, 2011, 10:53 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Problems? Games disappearing from My Games list, needing Windows Live open in the background to launch some games, Steam saying I don't own the game even though it is sitting right there in My Games list...I could go on and on.
Old June 20, 2011, 01:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

you cant really blame steam for the windows live stuff can you? extremely annoying yes, but blame windows not steam for that.
Old June 20, 2011, 05:51 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Problems? Games disappearing from My Games list, needing Windows Live open in the background to launch some games, Steam saying I don't own the game even though it is sitting right there in My Games list...I could go on and on.
Send an email to gabe newell and let him know who you are. He reads all his email and can probably help you out or get his development team to look into your problems because your case seems pretty unique. Not a lot of people I know are having trouble with steam anymore. I had a crap load of problems years ago and had just 1 hic up in the last few years.
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old June 20, 2011, 06:52 PM
Allstar

Bulletstorm on sale at Gamersgate,BulletStorm - Buy and download on GamersGate
Seems they got the jump on Steam's summer sale. And I want that game too...
Old June 24, 2011, 05:38 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Assuming your GFWL is updated, it shouldn't need to run in background, i'm sure you knew that tho. But I've always found GFWL doesn't not update itself properly when running a game, but only when you start the client from the Games Explorer. What OS are you running? Win7 x64 has been good for me. The non owning a game thing sounds weird, like Steam is corrupted or something. Delete everything in your steam root folder except the steam exe, and other folders of course. This forces it to recheck and update itself even more than just deleting the clientregistry.blob file.

Reading last years thread on the Perils of Summer steam sale has me pumped for this years sales, if there is one of course. With all the compettition for steam now they'd be stupid not to, it's just the date that's in question now. I felt it wasn't worth starting a new thread on yet, but damn this one's getting long.

Gonna quote this one more time cause it's so true:
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bc View Post
Someone Tweeted this today and it seems appropriate.
Quote. "Steam truly solved the issue of piracy: instead of me not paying for games I want, Steam has me paying for games I don't want."
Old June 24, 2011, 08:26 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I reinstalled Windows....with no luck.
Old June 24, 2011, 09:07 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I actually have a friend who seems to have similar, albiet not as infuriating as yours SKYMTL. He can't browse or use the steam store inside the steam client, the entire thing is borked. Works perfectly fine on his laptop, but on his main system, nothing. Even after a clean install of Windows, nothing. Some freaky weird combination of hardware/software/serial#s/IDs/something just causes it to **** up.

Should just email Gabe with all the details, and he'll forward it to the person who's actually responsible.
Old June 24, 2011, 09:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This thread's kinda going off topic, but that issue sounds like it is most likely due to an Internet Explorer problem Jebusman.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...