Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 19, 2011, 06:50 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Yup, I'm officially dropping Steam for any new purchases.

I'm sick and tired of the Steam service messing up, me not being able to play LEGALLY bought games and then Steam support passing the buck to the developers / publishers.
Old June 19, 2011, 06:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Oh nevermind.

In order to get some deals on D2D I have to "like" them on that shithole called "facebook".

What the HELL is with companies all rushing out to jump on the facebook and twitter bandwagon?

Half the things to do with NCIX is all like that too, it's crap.

If I rioted and set half a city on fire THEN I'd go on facebook and brag to my friends about it. Until then, no thanks.
Old June 19, 2011, 07:16 PM

I don't even have Facebook. My GF just "likes" them on her account and I use that. ;)
Old June 19, 2011, 07:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Yup, I'm officially dropping Steam for any new purchases.

I'm sick and tired of the Steam service messing up, me not being able to play LEGALLY bought games and then Steam support passing the buck to the developers / publishers.
Must be a certain game in particular? I don't normally have my games downloaded as I prefer physical media. But the ones I do have I've yet to encounter any serious problems with.
Old June 19, 2011, 07:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I've never run into an issue with steam games either.
Old June 19, 2011, 07:57 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Ya same here, Steam has been pretty damn solid for me and I've bought a ton of games from them in recent months.
Old June 19, 2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Must be a certain game in particular? I don't normally have my games downloaded as I prefer physical media. But the ones I do have I've yet to encounter any serious problems with.
Civ V, Mafia II, F1 2010, Mass Effect 2 and Dirt 3. I guess I am more likely to encounter issues since I continually use a ton of games in parallel for benchmarking purposes.
Old June 20, 2011, 12:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Most likely. Of those, I only have ME2. But it's the boxed retail version. I have Dirt 2 on Steam. But that's only because I got it with my viddy card (coupon). Dirt 3 I will buy the DVD.
Old June 20, 2011, 01:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Civ V, Mafia II, F1 2010, Mass Effect 2 and Dirt 3. I guess I am more likely to encounter issues since I continually use a ton of games in parallel for benchmarking purposes.
I have the first 3 on steam, me2 on disk and have yet to buy dirt3. I've yet to have a problem with steam, I have no idea how I would deal with 106 games all in physical media. I am quite surprised to hear of that many issues, myself I"ve only ever had issues with offline mode and "windows live" which technically isnt steam I guess.
Old June 20, 2011, 04:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I have ME2 from steam and never had a single issue, including installing it several times on my own systems (through upgrades and hardware swaps). It could be steam not liking the fact the game is being installed on consistently different MAC addresses, although you'd have to read the terms of agreement to see what their policies are, that could be why you're having issues.

I'm not sure of steams policies but technically speaking most games have a terms of agreement to be installed/active on only one system at a time even though its relatively hard for that to be implemented, perhaps steam is noticing it installed on several computers over short periods of time. Perhaps you should try contacting them letting them know your unique situation (that you're a hardware reviewer and use games purchased from them to run benchmarks)