Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 15, 2011, 11:24 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Personally, I like the EA Download Manager better that Steam. Why? Because ALL game files are stored locally rather than Steam's approach where you have to play any game through their client. Let's be honest here: if Valve ever goes kaput and Steam shuts down, you won't have access to your games. Unless I am wrong in that opinion....
Old April 15, 2011, 11:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

D2D does not let you stack promos, and I think the latest 20% off code has expired. And while Bioshock 2 wasn't better than the first, I think it's worth every penny of your $5.

Today's Deal of the Day on D2D is COD: Black Ops for 25% off. Direct2Drive: Buy Call of DutyŽ: Black Ops Download

It's Rockstar weekend on Steam with daily deals. Friday's deal is 75% off Bully and Max Payne games. Rockstar Weekend

Steam also has their regular weekend deal on, with the Splinter Cell "Collector Pack" bundle on sale. Save 60% on Splinter Cell Collector Pack on Steam
Old April 15, 2011, 01:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Personally, I like the EA Download Manager better that Steam. Why? Because ALL game files are stored locally rather than Steam's approach where you have to play any game through their client. Let's be honest here: if Valve ever goes kaput and Steam shuts down, you won't have access to your games. Unless I am wrong in that opinion....
The problem with EA DM (unless this has changed) you only have 6 months to download your purchase, unless you pay extra, but I believe that only gives you 2 years.

D2D is similar to EA, except no time limit AFAIK. And games on Impulse don't require impulse to be open to play, just to install updates.

Also, Valve has stated they would provide some sort of patch to allow you to play your steam games without requiring a connection to steam servers. Whether this happens or not, we will hopefully never know.

I must say though I have been finding myself buying more from D2D lately, those 20% off coupons are great for pre orders or other recently released titles.
Old April 15, 2011, 01:25 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
Also, Valve has stated they would provide some sort of patch to allow you to play your steam games without requiring a connection to steam servers. Whether this happens or not, we will hopefully never know.
To add to your answer, the scenario would have to be that Steam went out of business w/out anyone acquiring them and continuing the service. Then consider the GameStop acquisition of Impluse. Steam is worth a ton, and there is no economic incentive for anyone who acquires Steam not to honour your existing games- attempts to sell you again on your own games would be pointless.
Old April 15, 2011, 02:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I bought the Splinter Cell pack. It's been too long since I played an old school SC game and never played Conviction. Not a bad deal for $26 considering the Deluxe Edition of Conviction is $1 less than this whole bundle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Maybe that's true about the EA DM but EA's seven levels of trip wires to play a frickin game nowadays is bloody ridiculous. Dragon Age and the Bioware Social Network has got to be the biggest POS I have ever had to deal with. Why do companies insist on on these tactics if they aren't going to support them and worse, pretty much guarantee that one day no matter what platform, you won't be able to play said game because the server will be gone.

I have way more faith in Valve/Steam than just about anyone else in terms of my games' future-proofness.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE

Last edited by Thund3rball; April 15, 2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old April 15, 2011, 03:41 PM
Allstar

I guess for 4 bucks you can't really go wrong, but has anyone played Bully and would recommend it? Damn all these sales. I have 20+ games right now that I haven't played
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old April 15, 2011, 04:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I was, and still am a staunch steam supporter, but with d2d giving me 15% off all the time for being a fileplanet subscriber, and having 20-25% off deals all the time, its getting harder and harder to justify buying a game on steam....just because its on steam. Some games from d2d use steam as copyprotection etc anyways, so basically you are buying a steam game, just discounted. "aka dawn of war 2 retribution etc" Brink is another one of those games, why pay full steam price when i can get it for 15-20% off on d2d, and it installs and registers with steam anyways. D2d is really learning its stuff, and where it can play hardball. People who will pay 20% more just to say they have it on steam are crazy, or have more money than me at least :P

Old April 17, 2011, 12:12 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy001 View Post
I guess for 4 bucks you can't really go wrong, but has anyone played Bully and would recommend it? Damn all these sales. I have 20+ games right now that I haven't played
I have Bully, and I do not reccommend it. I found it boring and a poor port. Maybe only hardcore Rockstar fans will like it. I uninstalled it after about 8hrs of playing.
Old April 17, 2011, 12:15 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman7k View Post
hmm Bioshock is $5 on D2D...I guess you can get 20% using the promo code?

anyone have any feedback about this game? I rather enjoyed the first one, but never got around to the 2nd one.
I loved Bioshock2, but then again, I like that story.
This code will still work I believe for 15% Direct2Drive
Old April 19, 2011, 05:44 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Shift 2 for $18!@#!!#@!@

Download SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED - EA